Baltimore Highlands Elementary School

Public | PK-5

Posted June 13, 2014

This school is AWESOME!!! Mr. Williams and Mrs. Johnson make this school so enjoyable and super friendly. I would give this school 10 stars if I could I've seen this school make a huge turn around its a wonderful school my kids enjoy their teachers very much and me mom is always happy to know my kids have wonderful teachers who go beyond with loving to teach looking forward to the next school year! Btw We love Baxter he is one super awesome dog!

Posted January 8, 2014

I also was worried about sending my child to this school. I was wrong and I am very impressed with the school and the way that Mr. Williams conducts it. The children and staff are wonderful. The school is clean and very nice inside.

Posted March 19, 2013

When we first moved to this area I was a little worried about sending my son to this school. I saw the 3/10 rating and negative reviews and was worried. Reality is that the school is wonderful. The teachers and other staff are wonderful, always friendly, welcoming and caring about the children's education. The principal, Mr Williams, is a wonderful principal and enjoys bantering with the parents and children alike and this makes for a really relaxed setting. He also deals with any issues right away. My sons teachers all care a lot about him and work hard to make him the best he can be. Parent involvement is lacking however. It always seems to be the same parents showing up for everything. I only have one complaint about the school, but that's about the building, not the staff. The school desperately needs air conditioning, Congratulations to all the teachers and staff in making this a wonderful school!!!!!

Posted August 14, 2011

I Went To BHES For 7 Years ( Pre-K Through 5th ) And I loved that school ! The teachers were amazing (alot of them , except now all of my favorite teachers (Mrs.Aus/Roman , Ms Howell ) are now gone, they must have loved our class so much they left our year :) and I was in the GT programs they had at the school since they started GT. The teachers always were helpful and nice :D, Going to 8th Grade this year at Lansdowne Middle School and hopefully going to try and go to the BSA for visual arts next year, I would recommend BHES to anyone !

Posted August 4, 2011

My son has been going to this school since pre-k and after reading the two parents post below I am very upset! Every teacher in this school that I have met with or know that have had friends kids have always went above and beyond with their students. It seems to me that a lot of parents want everything done for them and that is just not how life is. You have to be parent of your child's education. I also like how they want to help meet state standards and while I cannot be one of the 3 parents who are being spoke of in the post by the teachers because I am working and my husband work all the time. I try to do anything i can to help when i have the time. That is what this school needs more parents to help support them.

Posted July 6, 2011

I am a past teacher of Baltimore Highlands ES and while I was there I felt that the teachers went above and beyond to support each student in the school. Activities and after school programs are available to help students, at all levels, succeed. This school has great support from about 3 parents, but the rest expect everything from everyone else, without pitching in to help. If this school could gain a stronger parents support group, it would be phenominal! The administration has recently changed. With that, I think comes great opportunity.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted February 7, 2010

As a teacher at Baltimore Highlands I am appalled at the two previous reviews of the school that I love to teach at. Personally, I am proud to teach at Baltimore Highlands and any parent who says that the children run the school obviously have not spent any time there. The teachers genuinely care about their students and it shows. Children are motivated to learn through fun activities such as Baxter's Math Fact Challenge and special nights such as Reading and Math Night. Our PTA is a fantastic support to both teachers and students but the only parents who show up are the 3 board members. I agree that passing MSA is important as consequences for not passing are harsh. Teachers want to prepare children for the test, but more importantly, for future education and adult life itself. Caring about meeting state standards is a GOOD thing!
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted January 22, 2010

It appears that kids actually run this school. No wonder results are so meager.

Posted January 4, 2010

This school does not have activities which educate or excite my child to learn. The main goal of this school is their MSA scores not the students.

Posted February 20, 2008

My two sons attended this school, one since pre-k, the other from 2nd. The staff is friendly, helpful and always upbeat, even the secretaries in the office. The principal can be a little business-like and aloof, but the vice-principal (at the time) was fantastic. The teachers were willing to try new and innovative things, even the ones ready for retirement. There is actually a feeling of fun about the place, esp. with the music teacher! I worked in the classroom as well as attended events, and I can say I truly enjoyed myself. The neighborhood places a high value on education and many children here are thinking about specialized high schools and college! Great support staff for special education and open administration willing to work for what is best for the child. A place that created great memories.

Posted September 20, 2006

When my Granddaughter comes home telling me about her Social Studies class, and raving about her teachers, I feel ever so much better. They take excellent care of her, and she wants to go to school. The children in the neighborhood are playing American Indians this week...one is an Algonquin, one an Iroquois, and one is a Mayan. I know that they are taking this from their class work. When they are willing to 'play' what they have learned in class....then that class is a success!

Math

The state average for Math was 82% in 2013.

83 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 83% in 2013.

83 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 89% in 2013.

64 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 88% in 2013.

64 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 81% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 88% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 67% in 2013.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 4% 6%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 84%N/A42%

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

4200 Annapolis Rd