Eastern Technical High School

Public | 9-12

Posted January 6, 2014

I graduated from ETHS in 2005 and I have nothing but good things to say about this school. I majored in Communications, Multimedia & Design which taught me about video, graphic design and flash programs. This was great experience and helped me excel at a 4 year university. The teachers were hard on you but thats what they did to prepare you for college. Yes some of the policies are odd and strict but it will be the best choice for your child yet! I plan to send my child to there as well!

Posted September 24, 2013

We've had 2 kids in this school. Overall I am pleased with the teachers and the classes knowing that the county mandates some very odd policies and class requirements. Our experience with the teachers has been very positive as most are very motivational and interact above and beyond the call of duty. What could be changed within the school would include: 1. an openess to community college as an avenue into a degreed program. This may well be some of our kids only course to a prohibitively expensive goal. To scorn it is to lose it - I do know students who have opted to get into the workforce rather than pursue "the lowly" community college. 2. Kids who have not had the opportunity to play club level sports seem to be overlooked in at least one school program. We have seen some clear indications of favoritism with regards to making a team or getting play time.

Posted July 29, 2012

When I applied to ET; I, like many of their current applicants believed that it was an upstanding school. I have had teachers that are very dedicated and good at what they do, however it seems that they are being overriden by teachers who either don't want to do their job, give very little work at all, and make the little work they do give worth a big part of your grade for that class. I've also had teachers who overbear you with work and homework without giving much instruction, and when you ask for any type of assistance they ignore and neglect you. On top of that they are the same teachers who don't offer extra credit. To add on to that, when I notified my parents of a specific teacher that I was having issues with; they tried emailing this teacher, however the teacher didnt respond to their emails. When my parents tried to schedule a meeting with this teacher and an administrator they were given the run around. Even when hundreds of other students were having problems with this teacher, nothing was done. The principal finally found out about the situation with the teacher during the last days of school, when it was due for the teacher to retire.

Posted January 18, 2012

I am a current student at Eastern Tech and I feel that they are not really teaching us. I feel they are cramming us with information just to pass tests. I have a test every day of every week. They don't even gives us time to learn the material. It is very, very hard. If your reading this and coming to Eastern realize that saying to yourself "I am going to study everyday" is not going to cut it. Almost everyone I know in Allied Health has some kind of anxiety, either it's about taking quiz/test or trying to balance studying time. Every class in Allied Health is important and they are not easy. There is no "easy class". They want you to get involved in extra-curricular studies, but it seems impossible to me because my entire life basically revolves around homework. I wake up at 6:00am and literally do homework till 11:00pm. Not once do I have a chance to sit down and relax for 30min and just hang out. Most of my teachers, like I said, just cram me with information and are not actually teaching me. More and more I see all of this testing intruding in my learning time. Everyday, I question my decision to come here. Is it really worth it?

Posted November 15, 2011

The school has excellent teachers. most of the class sizes are on the small side. it also offers many things other schools don't such as the chinese program. the bad things are the school is in pretty bad shape they definetly could use a new campus. its sports program is stunning because it doesnt event have a track or fields for the teams to practice on yet they are still successful. unfortunantly the principle is only concerned about the sports and academics are secondary. the worst offense is it doesnt offer activity busses so after school clubs are not existent also the school lunches are absolutly horrible i can barely eat them, their lunch program needs an overhaul.

Posted July 13, 2011

I went to this school all four years of my high school career. It was by far the best choice I could have made. I was accepted into all three of the magnet high schools to which I applied, but chose Eastern. I played on the football team all four years, and went through the Automotive Technology program. The school's staff and teachers are among the best in the nation. The teachers are really involved with the students. My Automotive teacher was a Master Technician, and was not only a mentor to me, but also taught me almost everything I know. Eastern Tech stands tall and proud over other high schools in the area, and I have so many fond memories of that school. The workload seemed to be a bit much, and would often have me staying up late hours of the night, trying to fit in studying, homework, school, and football. But in the end, I came out much more prepared and motivated than did students from other high schools in general. The school's academia is stellar, and the sports programs are recognized state-wide. I couldn't ask for a better high-school experience.

Posted August 11, 2010

I have been very happy with ET. My daughter is excelling very well. They have excellent teachers and staff. It has been challenging and fun for my daughter.

Posted May 25, 2010

My child is now a junior at ET. We transferred from a private school and I have been pleased beyond my expectations. The principal, teachers, nurse, etc. are caring and approachable.

Posted May 19, 2010

ETHS is great for the typically highly motivated college-bound student but is in no way equipped to handle those others - no matter how smart they may be - that present challenges of any kind. It is more of a "private" public school, preferring to accommodate only those who present the correct image -Eastern's hand-picked status - despite being supported by the same public taxpayer funds by which every other public school in the state is supported., Remember IDEA? I wonder if they do.

Posted January 12, 2009

I graduated from Eastern Tech in 2007 and I have to say this school had a major impact on my future. It prepared me to the fullest extent to be successful at a four year university and provided me with the confidence I need to achieve all of my goals. I am extremly thankful I went to this high school because it really provided me with a solid foundation for a successful life.

Posted December 15, 2008

My son attends Eastern and he loves it there. As a parent I see alot of parental involvment. There are times I wonder what is so special about this school and then all you have to do is to get involved in something as a parent and experiance it for yourself. The principal Mr. Evans does really care about the kids and is also very involved in all aspects of this school. For a great experiance attend a Tech Football game. There are parents who's kids have graduated from Tech and still attend all of the games and are some of the loudest Cheeriers at the games. This School is a class act. I wish High School was this great when I went.

Posted December 14, 2008

My daughter is a junior at this school and the previous 2 years have been hell. No doubt the school is designated reward after reward sice its applicants are the cream of the crop. As a parent this has been my worst experience with the Baltimore County school system. I feel this school has been a detriment to my child's education experience.

Posted March 26, 2008

Best possible public school preparation for college. Placed me above others at my current university. I will now be able to finish a biochemistry major due to the vigorous advanced placement program at ETHS

Posted September 23, 2007

I am a sophomore at eastern tech and I must say that it has been the best experience I've had at school. The school is tough, they make sure that you keep up those grades. They also keep a tight dress code. When I first attended the school my grades dropped and it was because I wasn't used to having such high expectations on me but it was worth it. I know that when I go to college I'll be better prepared than some because I had teachers that cared enough to push me past the limit I set for myself.

Posted August 4, 2007

This school is extremely strict. Students, it takes away most of your freedom and gives you way too much work to handle.

Posted March 5, 2007

I graduated from eastern tech last year. Im in college now and I adjusted very well to college. Eastern has prepared me for college. Easterns AP program is wonderful. The AP classes are a lot like my college classes now. Most of the teachers are great too. Most of the teachers are willing to help you after school. Also the freshmen take what is know as swing classes. These are three week long classes. Each class is either an introduction to a career major or a high school readiness class. For example you will take allied health then culinary then public speaking then power point. These classes are meant to prepare them for the next three years. Overall Eastern Tech is a Great School.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted February 27, 2007

This in my opinion the best high school in the area. Both my son (graduated) and my daughter go there, it is a wonderful school.

Posted September 29, 2006

Right now I'm a junior at Eastern Tech. I have to say I love it. I love all the teachers and the classes I'm taking. Though they may be challenging it prepares you for college. My career major is my favorite class of all, though most middle schoolers don't know what they want to do with their lives those who do can advance in the career earlier. Doing Communications made me realize what I want to do with my life. Even if you don't want to advance in your career major your teachers will help you succeed in the career you want by helping you pick colleges. Eastern Tech is one of the best experiences of my life so far, and I'm glad I got the chance to attend such an amazing school.

Posted May 29, 2006

Eastern Tech is one of the best high schools in Baltimore County and has some great teachers (although some very bad ones), however, it is questionable how long Eastern can maintain its high level of success. Soon, most of the best teachers are planning on retiring, which will leave the school with a large number of subpar teachers. Also, since Baltimore County has taken control of the school's admissions, freshmen classes entering the school lack the intelligence, work ethic, and maturity that previous classes had. The administration handles the school alright, although they appear to be more concerned about making the school look good and the enforcement of the dress code than making sure students are actually learning the majority of the time.

Posted April 4, 2006

I attend eastern technical high school and i love it. I am a senior now and eastern has helped to prepare for college. I am in the alled health field and i have learned a lot like cpr and first aid. I have learned how to treat many injuries. Some of my teachers attended eastern and cam back to teach there. The school is very strict with their dress code. We hardly ever have behavior problems. Eastern also has a great ap program which are classes you get college credit for. This school is challenging and takes time to adjust to.

Grade level

Algebra

The state average for Algebra was 84% in 2013.

298 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology

The state average for Biology was 83% in 2013.

335 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English II

The state average for English II was 83% in 2013.

335 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Maryland used the Maryland High School Assessments (HSA) to test students in English 2, Algebra, and Biology upon completion of each course. The HSA is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Maryland. Students are required to pass the tests in order to graduate. The goal is for all students to pass the tests.

Source: Maryland State Department of Education

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 11% 6%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 26%N/A42%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school officials and community members.

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

Specific academic themes or areas of focus
  • Technology
  • Robotics/Technology specialist(s)

Arts & music

• Art teacher(s)
School leaders, update and verify information here.

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• STEM

• Tennis
  • Track
  • Volleyball
School leaders, update and verify information here.

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

1100 MacE Ave