Elmwood Elementary School

Public | PK-5 | 547 students

Posted August 13, 2012

My kids have attended Elmwood Elem for 2 yrs so far. Pre K was wonderful, K was ok, but I am hoping for an improvement this year. My main concern is the building and maintence of the school which I believe could be greatly improved. We'll see how it goes this year, but I am pretty happy with the teachers so far so I guess it could be worse. I think kids deserve to learn in up-to-date buiildings that are kept clean throughout the day, but I grew up going to PA schools that were always kept up.

Posted June 1, 2012

Fullerton elementary school is only less than a mile from Elmwood, yet its rating is 5 compared to former which is 10. Principals of other schools whose ratings are bad [1-6], should consult M/s Biscoe, Susan, about how they can improve their respective school ratings. Take tips, follow the reaching methodology, how they motivate kids, make them work hard, what is their incentive for kids to perform better???

Posted April 24, 2010

the teachers , staff and PTA are wonderful... They are always there for our kids and have good commnication with the parents

Posted February 1, 2010

I have three children currently attending this school. It has been warm and caring with wonderful teachers. I give great credit to the teachers for their patience, support, fairness and attention they display towards their students. My kids have been challenged and pushed to do their best consistently. The PTA does an amazing job of fundraising and activities for the children. This school is a community where kindness and respect are upheld to the fullest. The same can be said for the curriculum. It has been a wonderful place for my children to spend their days and I am pleased that they are able to be part of the same school I attended when I was their age.

Posted August 10, 2009

My child attends Elmwood , Unfortunately I think the school needs serious restructuring for the teachers. Remember the focus should always be placed on the 'students'

Posted March 12, 2009

My son has been going to elmwood since pre-k and now a 1st grader. My son receives a high quality of education. This school is the best. The staff and the students are great. Theres no foul language through the halls and teachers and staff are polite and helpfull. I have no complaints I am happy to say that my son is getting an outstanding education at elmwood. However its unfortunate that I have recently moved out of the zone area and now I am forced to remove my son and enroll him in our new zone school Walter P. Carter. But I will try my hardest to fight that decision because I only want whats best for my son.

Posted March 19, 2008

What difference does it make if there are Black staff members? I am Black and I am only concerned with the quality of education my child will recieve from his teacher's be them Black, White or Yellow!! That's what's wrong with society now too caught up on color!!

Posted February 13, 2006

As we hire staff members when vacancies arise, we strive to achieve diversity, but insist on hiring the best candidate. Our student achievement continues to improve.
—Submitted by an administrator

Posted December 28, 2005

My daughter has been at Elmwood since kindergarten. The only Black teacher is the music teacher. Even the teacher interns have all been white. Even with a Black principal for my daughter's first 4 years, the number of Blacks on the instructional staff did not increase. What's wrong with this picture? Where's the diversity?

Math

The state average for Math was 74% in 2014.

60 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 77% in 2014.

81 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2013-2014 Maryland used the Maryland School Assessment (MSA) to test students in grades 3 through 8 in reading and math, and grades 5 and 8 in science. The MSA is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Maryland. The goal is for all students to score at or above proficient on the test.

Math

The state average for Math was 81% in 2014.

89 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 86% in 2014.

58 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 73% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 89% in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 64% in 2014.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 3% 6%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 68%N/A42%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students School counslor
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

Language learning

Level of ESL/ELL programming offered

Level of special education programming offered
Level of ESL/ELL programming offered

Staff resources available to students
  • School counslor
Extra learning resources offered
  • Counseling
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)
Transportation options
  • Buses/vans for students only

School culture

Dress Code
  • Dress code
  • Join PTO/PTA

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

531 Dale Ave