Bad
Good

Posted August 20, 2014
MY GRANDCHILDREN ATTEND ESSEX ELMENTARY SCHOOL. ESSEX ELM IS AN EXCELLENT SCHOOL. THE TEACHERS ARE CARING, PROFESSIONAL & OUR CHILDREN LOVE THE SCHOOL. PRINCIPAL GRABNER IS A GEM!

Posted July 29, 2014
I am stunned by the poor reviews. My son came in with an IEP. In fact, he was supposed to be put into a separate "special ed" school. An Essex teacher was at the meeting and asked to see our son. After speaking with him, she pushed to get him into Essex. Each year, the teachers helped him to grow in confidence and ability. He has progressed from the IEP to GT classes. This is because of the faculty and the leadership provided by Principal Grabner. Any time I had an issue, I was welcomed and they addressed my concerns. While I didn't always agree, they always took the time to explain their decisions. Bravo to Essex Elementary!

Posted June 04, 2014
I posted on May 28th...I was hoping to see another review. Unfortunately, you would have never gotten what your child needs from this school. This school does everything they possibly can do to work against you and your child. I believe it is their way of building a case against you, should you decide to go to mediation. The school systems have all of the resources, money and power to fight you. The parent rarely wins. Sure you can hire an attorney that will cost you your life savings. You can hire advocates to help you fight. They as well cost a ton of money. I know I have done this. Again, the school has the final say. Two bills are in legislation currently. Go to theburdenofproofmd.org and sign the petition. Also go to FB page Maryland Parent's Coalition for Education Advocacy and post. If enough parents speak we may be able to shift the burden of proof on the school systems.

Posted May 29, 2014
I am glad that I see two other parents that have posted regarding their frustrations with this school. We have just moved to the area and I have never seen any school like this. They fall short on basic communication between parent and teacher and make no apologies about it. In fact, they try and make you feel like you are being unreasonable when you speak up. Our child is special needs with an IEP and we pulled him out of the school after two weeks. It is very sad that you cannot send your child to school for basic education and special education and feel comfortable. I am hoping that the district will give me another option for the fall. Otherwise we might have to look at private programs. But not everyone can afford that and it is so unfortunate. Oh and by the way, I am still waiting on our IEP meeting that was supposed to be scheduled about 3 weeks ago.

Posted May 28, 2014
I am in total agreement with the parent who posted Feb5, 2014. I am not sure if you will see this comment, however, I would love to speak to you regarding your experience at this school. I also have experienced verbatim the same types of issues with the staff at this school. This has been an extremely frustrating sad experience at this school.

Posted September 16, 2009
The staff is excellent and take their time with each child and help them grow. They are always attentive to the children's needs as well as the parents.

Posted September 16, 2009
There is a positive spirit of learning and caring, evident in both the student body, the staff, and the parents.

Posted July 16, 2008
This is a wonderful Elementary School.. Our experience has been excellent. The teachers are warm, caring and fantastic. The principal Amy Grabner does her best to know all kids and parents by name. She is approachable and top-notch! I couldn't be more please my children attend this school!

Posted July 02, 2007
My son Darvius has beed attending Essex Elementary from the start and as far as I am concerned he will until he end. Principal Grabner is awesome! She has total control over the school and the kids still love her... Good job!!!

Posted December 12, 2006
I have a daughter who started her school career at Essex and will be starting Towson State in Jan. I could not express my satisfaction with teaching staff and curriculum more. I now have a son who will be graduating from Essex this month and am sad to say that my family's experiences with Essex will end. Both of my children had wonderful experiences at Essex and learned a lot. My daughter graduated from Kenwood/Sollers Point last year and was inducted into several Honor Societies. She was a member of the National Honor Society, the Technical National Honor Society, and the Tri-M Honor Society. I commend Essex with instilling the values of learning and hard work in her. My son seems to be right on track to follow in his sister's footsteps.

100 MacE Ave, Baltimore, MD  21221
Last modified Essex Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.