Gunpowder Elementary School

Public | K-5 | 517 students

Sweep tile

Posted September 26, 2013

This is my son's first year at Gunpowder. They have been great so far helping him transfer as a new student. The guidance counselor has met with him and checked on his progress. So far I am very pleased with everything.

Posted August 21, 2012

I love being a teacher at Gunpowder Elementary School. Everyone is helpful and the school is so welcoming! I am very happy to be a part of such an amazing team of teachers and students!
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted March 16, 2012

My daughter is soo happy in this school, it's a safe clean school with great teaching skills.Parent involvement is great too basically this school provides excellent experience.

Posted September 27, 2011

My daughter is in her second year at Gunpowder and I couldn't be more pleased with the faculty and staff. I feel safe leaving her in their care and I know she is getting a great education. This must be said, some of the parents are not thrilled with the principal and rules in general, but I find Mrs. Smith to be wonderful and very professional.

Posted September 10, 2010

Gunpowder is a wonderful school. My daughter is starting her second year there and I couldn't be happier. We moved before she started K and I am so pleased we moved within Gunpowder's school zone. Parent envolvement at the school is wonderful. Teachers and staff are very helpful, great with the students and kind. The principal I have heard can be strict and by the books, but I have had nothing but good experiences with her.

Posted May 13, 2010

A very well managed school! Safe, clean, no troubles and the kids are learning!!!

Posted May 5, 2010

I love that they are very family oriented. My son is so happy here. His teachers and the parent volunteers are very helpful.

Posted August 26, 2009

This is a wonderful school. I love school , I wish there was a Gunpowder Middle School. My daughter has been an A student since third grade. Her teachers were very helpful and sincere.

Posted June 23, 2009

My son just finished kindergarten this year and I was so impressed with the school and its staff. They really care about each child and their families. The standardized test scores they sent home this year showed way above state averages and higher than other schools in the area.

Posted May 29, 2009

I am a grandparent and I am very pleased with this school and the activities they provide make it a family experience.

Posted January 27, 2009

My daughter started Kindergarten at Gunpowder this year. My husband & I couldn't be happier with the school, as well as the teachers!

Posted August 12, 2008

Both my son and daughter had a fabulous year! I am so pleased with the education they are receiving! The staff and administration work very hard at keeping Gunpowder a top-notch school. It is also nice to see such strong parent support

Posted May 27, 2008

My daughter was in elementary class this year. I was very impressed with the amount of learning activities. The attention paid to teaching the students to read. It made a big difference to my daughter. Just to see my daughter sit down and have the love of reading at her age. I was also impressed with the involvement of the parents, and the helpfulness of the teachers.

Posted February 28, 2008

Great school! My kids transfered from Cromwell Valley because we moved, but I am very impressed with the way that Gumpowder has shown that they can offer the same program, love and respect for the Students that we recieved. I was broken hearted at first I must admit... but I have realized that Gunpowder is a Awesome some that can stand tall with any Magnet Program

Posted December 26, 2007

Great school. Huge support from PTA. Very impressed with the education my children are recieving.

Posted April 30, 2006

I love this school my children came from a poorly ran city school to the best school in the county. I feel that this school fit both of my childrens needs, even my special needs child.The staff involvement is wonderful. I Love, LOVE this School.

Math

The state average for Math was 82% in 2013.

65 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 83% in 2013.

65 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 89% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 88% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 81% in 2013.

85 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 88% in 2013.

85 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 67% in 2013.

Asian 12% 6%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 21%N/A40%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

9540 Holiday Manor Rd