Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)

Teachers, administrators, PTA, after-school clubs ... This school is all I could hope for. My son has been so happy since Day 1 in kindergarten. We had some re-districting this year, but my husband and I did all we could to assure that he would be at Hillcrest through 5th grade.

There are more bad apples than good. Out of 7 teachers so far only 2 have shown that they truly care about my children. I do plan on moving them out of this school for the next school year.

Develops character: Disagree

The teachers do not treat all children the same. Although it is a diverse school there is not a high level of equality unfortunately.

My own daughter went here many years ago and we were beyond thrilled with the staff and the activities and overall environment... Now, I mentor some children who also attend this school.. It is still just as wonderful as ever... Caring staff , good teaching , lots of activities...I am happy that these children attend this school..

Hillcrest is a highly varied experience. A handful of amazing teachers but most of the teachers are awful. I agree with a previous comment that the school and the parents are overall not welcoming. This does impact my children's enjoyment of school.

There is a very good reason that Hillcrest Elementary School is a solid 10, even with the challenges of overcrowding. It attracts excellent teachers and it is supported above and beyond by amazing parents. Financially the PTA is heads above other schools. In 2014 $50,000 was raised by different events to enhance the educational experience for our children. A 2nd fundraiser donated $35,000 to the technology department. The children in every grade are exposed to incredible learning opportunities, an active garden and PTA evening events. The teachers, for the most part are approachable and really interested in our children. The atmosphere in the school is great.

Hillcrest has the best school in Catonsville. The administration is welcoming and able to deal very well with the overcrowding situation that has developed recently due to the word getting out that this is the school district to move into in Baltimore County. The teachers are caring, atune to studnet needs and go above and beyond to make learning fun and challenging at the same time. The afterschool clubs are a big plus at Hillcrest, as is the PTA, which is very active and plans unbelievable functions such as Math and Science, Literature and International Nights. All my children have either attended or are attending Hillcrest and those that have moved on to middle and high school were very prepared. I have nothing negative to say about this great school!

The teachers Are great at Hillcrest and I agree with the previous post that there are a lot of changes going on. However that should not be an excuse for the legitimate concerns brought up but other parents about their child being left behind.... Although my child is having a wonderful experience, I have heard these concerns form a few parents. Change happens everywhere but seems to be more so in education. If a teacher can't handle change whether new or old, it's time to get a new profession!

It is a shame for all concerned that a couple of parents have had challenging experiences with teachers. Hopefully they have addressed the situation either with the teacher or the administration - that is the most effective route, and the one that the school itself would recommend. Overall, Hillcrest is both a quality education and a bargain. The 2nd and 3rd grade teams specifically have some of the most well-respected teachers in the school.

Hillcrest is an amazing elementary school. The administrative staff and teachers work extremely hard to be sure that all students are meeting their full potential. The parent community and PTA is very active and supportive. Volunteers are ALWAYS present in the school. I disagree with previous negative comments about teaching staff. I think we all need to keep in mind that this year is a huge transition year with the new Core, BCPS curriculum (which is still being written), evaluation process for teachers. I am thankful that our teachers at Hillcrest have the experience, administrative support, and resources to handle all of these changes. Let's appreciate that and imagine how teachers with no experience must be feeling at this point. Our kids are in good hands at Hillcrest.

Last modified Hillcrest Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.