Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)

Develops character: Strongly agree

At the time of my daughters were there. They developed a really good confident and excellent study skills and good behavior.

Johnnycake Elementary is a great school, I feel so sad that my twins have to leave the school, because they are going to middle school next year. they were there since Pre-K. I will missed the staff and the greatest teachers, specially Mr & Mrs Detwiler, they are EXCELLENT and LOVING teachers. I am so greatful about this school because my girls love them, and so do I. I think, words are not enough to appreciate the great job that they are doing with our kids. God bless all. I will miss all, and I am really sure that my girls too.

I feel that the school has some great resources and some good staff. I do believe parent/teacher communication needs a major "do-over." There can be a huge lack of professionalism in some of the teachers or outright refusal to communicate about important matters regarding some of the children. I believe there should be higher expectations for students and staff. People need to go the extra mile to help students succeed. There are very little learning experiences outside of the classroom. There was only one field trip the entire year, few resources, and a general, "business as usual" attitude here. There are some good programs and great support people. However, I would seriously consider shopping around for a better school if you can.

Develops character: Neutral

I do believe that teachers have favored certain students over others, which teaches the un-favored students that they aren't as valuable.

This rating of 3 out of 10 is extremely misleading. Our school is a safe environment in which children are encouraged to think creatively and progressively. Many of our children are living in tough circumstances, and even with those life stressors, they are rising to academic challenges and developing college-preparedness. There are several extracurricular opportunities including 5th grade musical, a cappella choir, guitar club, recorder club, 24 club, and National Honors Society. Our teachers are highly qualified. In fact, on our faculty we have a finalist for BCPS Teacher of the Year (one of five teachers selected out of over 8500 teachers county-wide) and a Catonsville Chamber of Commerce Teacher of the Year finalist. We have fully updated technology and we are one of the 10 pilot schools for a Spanish language education program. Though our parent involvement is low, most of our parents are hard-working people working two or three jobs. Any child would be lucky to attend to Johnnycake and any teacher is lucky to work with the innovative and resilient students of Johnnycake.

Others should know that JCE has 4 CALS classrooms for special needs (Austism) and is doing an awesome job! I actually recommended an externship there or at least an observation to a Towson University Special Education student last Wednesday. Ms. Bartus and the others are doing awesome work there.

Great faculty and staff that really care about the students and make efforts to meet the needs of diverse students, including those with special social and emotional needs.

Johnnycake has the most dedicated and caring teachers that I have ever had the pleasure to work with. When problems come up, they are dealt with quickly and efficiently and a positive attitude prevails.

My school is an amazing place where students grow academically and socially. The parents are very supportive and the teachers work incredibly hard to provide safe and happy learning environments.

My school is challenging. We definitely have our fair share of issues, however, we have a close knit caring staff that try to do their best every day. The relationships that develop between the staff and students are those that should be emulated. We could certainly always improve and we always need more...supplies, teachers, classrooms, etc but our school has a lot of heart.

Last modified Johnnycake Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.