Baltimore, MD

Southwest Academy 5

Posted October 06, 2013
I was a student a southwest Academy last year and I loved it very much so of course the schools not perfect no school is but it's very much educational and fun theirs so many beneficial opportunities for the kids in the extra curriculum area such as chorus,dance and band. There are afterschool. Programs and trips to take such as going to new York and performing and staying over night. And the Spanish program is amazing. Your child would have a chance to take up to Spanish two. And Southwest started this cool program last year called get global where each mouth they recognize and celebrate a culture. We also had many concerts and junior prom and dance mixers so your child will love it there

Southwest Academy 4

Posted July 14, 2013
I'm a student at SWA and I'm going into the 8th grade. So far , I very much love this school. The school is very fun which makes me want to go to schools. Though there are drama and bad kids here. I stay away from that and just enjoy middle school while I can. I recommend this school for anyone that loves chorus or dance because I've very much been loving those two subjects and I can say that my 7th grade year was the most amazing. Grades went up, school was easier, and the fun stuff we do here like field trips, basketball games, prom, dances, concerts, and many many more! I cannot wait till summers over so I can enjoy my 8th grade (: O , and btw you'll like the school if Ur a good student.. The teachers and principals don't like bad students.. And they're serious and can put u out in a split

Southwest Academy 2

Posted December 31, 2012
I am currently a student at southwest academy in the 7th and i have to say since the new principal has started working there things have gotten a little better.But if you are looking for a school to go to you may want to check a couple of other schools.My main reason is the oter students there some of them are fine but some can make you very distracted.But its not just the students its the teacher to some of them are just as bad as the students.

Southwest Academy 3

Posted June 30, 2010
My son is in the science magnet program at SWA. I read all of the reviews, checked the school MSA scores, talked to other parents and made a conscious decision to send my son there for 6th grade for better or for worse. After one year I must say my SWA "scale" was not tipped to one end or the other (better or worst). The administrative and teaching staff was very responsive and very much open to go above and beyond the call of duty. My son always had a notebook full of work throughout the entire school, not just during MSA. The school utilized the phone messaging system to send out school updates and generally enforced the code of conduct in a consistent, fair, and reward based manner. I can t SWA reputation or previous ratings are completely off base as I do see cracks in the school such as inconsistent enforcement of the school uniform policy and relatively higher academic rigor during MSA time. However I can say parent involvement appears to be low which has a huge impact on the success of a school. With that said the school is not the best but it definitely is not the worst it is as good or bad as you make it. We are riding it out and we are going to make it GREAT!

Southwest Academy 0

Posted December 28, 2009
The school is ridiculously underfunded. Teachers are given ONE box of copy paper to last the entire year. Focus on learning is on hold for several months BEFORE MSA tests. All time is spent learning how to answer test questions. No learning takes place during this time. The school only cares about making AYP...meaning, if students don't do well on the tests, they lose funding and the school is taken over by the state. To make sure students pass, teachers focus on test-taking skills rather than History, Science, English, Math, etc.

Southwest Academy 0

Posted August 24, 2009
The Administration paints a vague picture of reality. It is possible their reputation is linked to specific numbers., What 'appears' to be the problem, How many problems there really are. The school looks better on paper if suspensions are low, as well as absences. There is a very big difference from what is shown to what really occurs here. If your child wants to learn, try getting into another magnet program

Southwest Academy 1

Posted August 22, 2009
My child has completed 3 yrs at SWA. Although she was in all the G.T classes, I was really DISAPPOINTED to recieve the MSA results in the mail last week!!!! My child one of the few that scored ADVANCE in both reading and math, but to see that school is BASIC in Math was very appaling. Some of the teachers are just as rowdy as some of the kids. Although it was the first year for the new principle I sure hope that she re-evaulate her V.P staff or I will have no choice to find an alternative school for my next child who is due to attend a middle school in two years.

Southwest Academy 2

Posted August 21, 2009
The Administration must re-define their priorities and set an example for their teachers. I went in with an open-mind and left with a clear perspective of why the students are not preforming. I would never recommend any child to attend this school. The special education system needs much repair, and some teachers are left without the assistance they need. My child was 1 out of 34 students in an academic class. There is no facility to remove disruptive students during the school day, so they are able to disrupt the learning of the others. A vague and biased discipline system. It appears that some teachers are given more resources, while others are left to fend for themselves. My child will not be returning. The principal can only do so much if his/her A.P.'s are not communicating fairly.

Southwest Academy 5

Posted July 27, 2009

Southwest Academy 3

Posted July 06, 2009

Southwest Academy
6200 Johnnycake Rd, Baltimore, MD  21207
Last modified Southwest Academy is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Southwest Academy Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 27 reviews. Top