Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)

Handles bullying effectively: Neutral

How can the school effectively deal with bullying when the principal is a bully herself??????

Supports LD students: Disagree

Depends on the teachers. Some of them need to be trained/re-trained.

Develops character: Agree

With how the principal acts, they are learning how to be bullies.

Teacher effectiveness: Disagree

Only a handful. The rest need to look for another type job because they act like they hate their job and do not want to help the children.

My daughter is has attended SWA for two years now. Initially I had mixed feelings because of her minor disciplinary encounters with students, but correlated it to middle school transition. The Guidance Counselors and Faculty were helpful in terms of Communication and the academic cuuriculum seems to be to up to par, above average in my opinion compared to same level schools nearby. A suggestion I would make regarding SWA is to increase the number of extra curricular student activities and expand their Magnet program in sync with others offered in our BCPS system.

I was a student a southwest Academy last year and I loved it very much so of course the schools not perfect no school is but it's very much educational and fun theirs so many beneficial opportunities for the kids in the extra curriculum area such as chorus,dance and band. There are afterschool. Programs and trips to take such as going to new York and performing and staying over night. And the Spanish program is amazing. Your child would have a chance to take up to Spanish two. And Southwest started this cool program last year called get global where each mouth they recognize and celebrate a culture. We also had many concerts and junior prom and dance mixers so your child will love it there

I'm a student at SWA and I'm going into the 8th grade. So far , I very much love this school. The school is very fun which makes me want to go to schools. Though there are drama and bad kids here. I stay away from that and just enjoy middle school while I can. I recommend this school for anyone that loves chorus or dance because I've very much been loving those two subjects and I can say that my 7th grade year was the most amazing. Grades went up, school was easier, and the fun stuff we do here like field trips, basketball games, prom, dances, concerts, and many many more! I cannot wait till summers over so I can enjoy my 8th grade (: O , and btw you'll like the school if Ur a good student.. The teachers and principals don't like bad students.. And they're serious and can put u out in a split

I am currently a student at southwest academy in the 7th and i have to say since the new principal has started working there things have gotten a little better.But if you are looking for a school to go to you may want to check a couple of other schools.My main reason is the oter students there some of them are fine but some can make you very distracted.But its not just the students its the teacher to some of them are just as bad as the students.

My son is in the science magnet program at SWA. I read all of the reviews, checked the school MSA scores, talked to other parents and made a conscious decision to send my son there for 6th grade for better or for worse. After one year I must say my SWA "scale" was not tipped to one end or the other (better or worst). The administrative and teaching staff was very responsive and very much open to go above and beyond the call of duty. My son always had a notebook full of work throughout the entire school, not just during MSA. The school utilized the phone messaging system to send out school updates and generally enforced the code of conduct in a consistent, fair, and reward based manner. I can t SWA reputation or previous ratings are completely off base as I do see cracks in the school such as inconsistent enforcement of the school uniform policy and relatively higher academic rigor during MSA time. However I can say parent involvement appears to be low which has a huge impact on the success of a school. With that said the school is not the best but it definitely is not the worst it is as good or bad as you make it. We are riding it out and we are going to make it GREAT!

The school is ridiculously underfunded. Teachers are given ONE box of copy paper to last the entire year. Focus on learning is on hold for several months BEFORE MSA tests. All time is spent learning how to answer test questions. No learning takes place during this time. The school only cares about making AYP...meaning, if students don't do well on the tests, they lose funding and the school is taken over by the state. To make sure students pass, teachers focus on test-taking skills rather than History, Science, English, Math, etc.

Last modified Southwest Academy is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.