Loch Raven Technical Academy

Public | 6-8 | 669 students

Sweep tile

Posted January 21, 2014

My son is currently in 8th grade. It is well managed and challenge the kids to excel. The growth in test scores is fantastic and the kids are happy.

Posted April 12, 2013

I went here and I loved it..... except for it's long hallways lol. Some teachers were great. I miss it.

Posted November 5, 2012

This my daughter's first year here and so far so good. I really like that they encourage the children to come back and get their grades changes if they aren't good. They offer every opportunity for them to get higher grade. Much different from when I went to school.

Posted November 23, 2008

i think it's a wonderful school some of theteachers are nice and everythings just great

Posted June 25, 2008

My child did not have a good school year with at least two of her 7th. grade teachers. Their style appeared to be somewhat not stable and questionable. My student made honor roll the first quarter and it was down hill ever since.

Posted May 17, 2008

I hink the school is pretty good.Then have done better then a few years ago.I met alot of friends.There are fights ,but the teachers could handle it.the preforming arts group plays some good music.The enviromental and well all the magnets are fun and creative.the teachers are very nice.Like Ms.Prizzi the orchestra teacher...

Posted March 31, 2008

I'm currently im last year at this school. Frankly I think that if you are not in GT don't come.You will be stuck in classes with kids who don't take education seriously. I have a word of advice if you are not in GT go to another school. Some teachers were great really but dont depend on communitcation from certain teachers. Also their performing arts magnet is not so great either. Stick with law or envirmental magnet.

Posted March 2, 2008

I just wanted to elaborate on my other review about this school.I am in GT classes and I won Champions of Courage so as I said before this school has potential and creativity!!!

Posted January 22, 2008

I think this school is good, although I only been there for the first term. They have a good environmental science magnet program.

Posted July 2, 2007

I been goiing to this school for a while and I just love it so much. I think the teacher are great.will I am a 8 grader and I this is mi last year. I been going ther for 3 year. I dont know what school I rather gradute from. the magnet are great mostly art they have so much stuff to teach.

Posted April 5, 2007

I am currently an 8th Grader here at Loch Raven and I believe that this school is great. People need to stop putting down the school because it is great. I have been here all three years and I haven't failed any classes. Kids fail because they don't care and I beleve Loch Raven Academy is the best school in the county hands down. K.A.Williams

Posted March 1, 2007

this is my sons first year at this school,i must admit i am pleasantly surprised.coming from an elementary school where things ran great and the environment was awesome,we feared the transition into a school where we heard so many negative things.LRA is a very good school as so with any school these days there is room for improvement.however,the staff we believe are committed to making it the best learning experience for all the children.As much as that is true, so much depends upon the child and his or her willingness to learn.I would strongly recommend any parent whose child is about to transition to consider this school an option and as the kids these days are saying don't believe the hype regarding the negativity check it out for yourself.

Posted January 18, 2007

Before I transferred my child into LRA, I heard good things about the school. However, I was very disappointed. My child is in all GT classes and she is very serious about her education. She has found some students to be very disruptive and unruly, making it very difficult for the students who are interested in learning. Also, because of her being in GT, some teachers feel that she shouldn't have any problems with assignments and therefore, are unwilling to answer questions when she's not clear about an assignment. I think it's unfair that a teacher is not willing to explain a subject because of the child being GT, after all, if they knew everything, they wouldn't need to go to school, our children are there to learn and it is the responsibility of the teacher to teach them. I am not at all pleased with this school.

Posted December 25, 2005

I graduated from Loch Raven Academy this past year in June. I'm now in a city wide school doing very well. I attended Loch Raven all of my three years, and had not many problems. Loch Raven distributes a very good education for students. If anything it is the best magnet school in Baltimore County.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted September 29, 2005

This is my daughter's final year at LRA and I cannot wait until June. It has been a rough road and the school has been a big disappointment. I placed my daughter in the school because she was interested in the Performing Arts magnet. The students are often very disruptive making it difficult to have a good working environment. Communication with most teachers takes a significant amount of effort so that they take you seriously and realize that you truly are interested in you child's education. There have also been 3 principals in the 3 years my child has been at the school. I must say my daughter however likes the school and loves performing arts. The Performing Arts Teachers are great and prepare the students for continuing in this field. There are also a few others that are exceptional teachers as well. My advice...look before you leap!

Posted August 27, 2005

I do not like the school at all! Both my kids hated it and my son failed because he disliked it so much. I'm not saying that the teacher's are all bad because some were very nice! I don't like the fact that they have to wear academy shirts because the kids really don't like to have to wear them. I think it should be the kids and parents choice. There is just something about the school that my kids hated so much and they could not function properly in the school.

Posted January 7, 2005

I am currently an 8th grader at LRA, and I'm dying to get out! If you want your child to go to a more diciplined school, click the 'back' button very quickly.

Posted September 24, 2004

This is an excellent school for children to go to . They have a great magnet program and my child has learned so much since going there.

Posted March 21, 2004

This school is amazing and has brought a new meaning to my life. The teachers are great....they are dedicated to what they are doing and are really making differencees in students lives. The magnet programs are amazingly organized and can really prpare u for a magnet high school or a job that u want to do later in life. This is a school that shows real life to children and gives each child the attention and help he or she needs.

Posted November 15, 2003

The teaching staff has put together a good plan of action to keep my son on track with completing home assignments and projects. Thank you.

Math

The state average for Math was 77% in 2013.

281 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 84% in 2013.

281 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 73% in 2013.

243 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 85% in 2013.

244 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 67% in 2013.

237 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 81% in 2013.

237 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 71% in 2013.

235 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Asian 3% 6%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 63%N/A40%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Dance teacher(s)
Librarian/media specialist(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

Arts & music

• Jazz band
Performing arts
  • Dance
needs to be verified by school leaders.

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

8101 La Salle Rd