Baltimore Montessori Public Charter School

Charter | PK-5 | 242 students

Posted August 3, 2011

The mission is great. The initial plan was terrific. However, it is changing as the demographics are changing. The school is great for the younger ages, however once kids reach an age where they need to know certain work techniques it is not happening. There is the love of learning but also the actual process that needs to happen. There are a lot of new teachers (which is good & bad). New teachers have to learn how to be receptive to parents. A better city school but not a huge gem in the rough.

Posted May 19, 2011

There are some wonderful things about BMPC, but also very serious flaws that threaten to undermine its mission. They are currently failing to meet the needs of a great many students. Certainly the faculty are dedicated and work hard. But many faculty are inexperienced, with an irrational devotion to principles that are not working in the classroom. Frankly, some faculty believe in their approach to the point of arrogance, dismissing parents' concerns, even blaming us for the problems. Some children do well, especially in the younger grades. Some kids really enjoy the school, and so their parents are thrilled. But, there is a serious failure to teach skills and work habits. They neglect anything that requires repeated, consistent practice. Parents have no way to meaningfully track their kids' progress other than the MSA! Reports provide only a subjective impression of whether the child can work independently in an area. But teachers do not know if students are LEARNING, or even if they are finishing any work. My kids are HAPPY there, but the school is a failure so far. The open classroom and individual work plan is so promising, but their implementation shockingly naive. So sad.

Posted May 13, 2011

Honestly, there is so much inaccurate information in some of these reviews, that I'm surprised they haven't been pulled. This is a completely unmoderated site and a great example of why the internet can be both a boon and a bust. It is so obvious that these slanderous reviews are from the same person!! If you are honestly interested in this school, do yourself a favor and attend one of the information sessions/open houses held in January/February. If your child is fortunate enough to be offered a space in this school, come back and meet with the director, then have your child shadow for a day and meet the teachers. See this school in action firsthand and decide for yourself if it's the right fit for your family.

Posted May 6, 2011

My child was picked on, not just once but to be exact-6 times by the same girl since the beginning of March 2011. She told the administrators about it, they stated that they are taking it seriously and will make sure that her parents will be informed about it. But then, she started picking on my daughter again. The person who was in charge during that time was informed. But she stated that since she did not see that the girl hit my daughter in her left leg, my daughter has to go to peer mediation. I was flabbergasted. Disciplining a student at this school passes through a student and not through an adult. Correct me, if I am wrong, then when does an adult intervene? This is a school setting and these are children. Children need guidance and since they have very limited experience in life, I feel that an adult should have talked to both students to find out the truth. This school is truly a waste of tax payers money. the school calls their teachers guide, but they sure don't guide their children. They let their children get away with anything. The good children are leaving and they are left with chaotic children who badly need guidance.

Posted April 19, 2011

Ms.Debika is the one true asset to this school and the only reason I am giving this school any star at all is for her. She has greatly improved my childs education. As for the rest of the school, it is horrifying to see public school education and realize that it keeps getting worse and worse. Thank goodness for Ms.Debika with her 37 years of experience! This school is lucky they have her, because 95% of the staff they currently employ have zero or very little experience. The principal is incompetent and she is the worst pricipal I have ever seen in my entire life. She has no experience and she only ran a daycare center before this school opened up. The only reason she got the job was because she founded the school and that was the worst choice Dr.Alozos ever made. She lets bullying and and other things happen right under her nose without lifting a finger. I am appaled any one in their right minds could possibly give this school a 5 star review. Imagine 6th graders doing 2 digit multipulcation and not knowing how to spell "press." Absolutely HORRIBLE!!!

Posted April 18, 2011

My belief is that the testing scores speak for themselves. How will these children ever survive academically once they leave this school?

Posted April 18, 2011

I totally agree with the submission made the teacher below. Too much nonsense happens at this school. Be prepared tp teach your child combat techniques as a means of survival and to teach your child at home because the school's learning environment is completely disruptive. The school's leadership does absolutely nothing to enforce discipline or correct unruly, disruptive, direspectful or abusive behavior. If you are looking for a school that values the arts but nothing else, not education, not discpline, not respect or common decency then this is your school. The school's high turn over rate of quality educators and quality students is indicative of same. The clustered copious rosy pcture comments are obviously not self directed because the dates are very close together.interestingly enough all of the negative comments that previously existed are no longer present. In true Montessori schools none of the above would be tolerated. -Soon to be former parent

Posted April 18, 2011

I don't have a child in this school but a very dear friend of mine has several. I myself find the children to be quiet, well mannered & very respectful of each other, their instructors & visitors. I absolutely love the art teacher & think that she's the greatest asset the school has. This is because she's fun, energetic, loves her vocation, loves children & loves to use her imagination! I wish that I could take her class! I think that the majority of the staff are awesome & that they really get a kick out of their jobs. I only ran across one instructor (Ms. Debeker) who really grinded my gears because she was not only very rude to my friend but to my friend's son as well. The Principal seems to be a really kind lady who tries very hard to bring the very best to her school. I wish that my own son could attend this school but he's too old. Education begins at home and ANYONE who thinks that it's solely the job of any school to teach your child(ren) are sadly mistaken & income bracket doesn't determine a parent's dedication to their childs learning! To me This school utilizes things to interest the mind, body and soul of it's pupils!

Posted March 21, 2011

I want to relay a recent example that illustrates the dedication the principal of Baltimore Montessori PCS has for the children attending the school: on Saturday, Ms. Allison attended the city-wide public schools chess tournament that some of the students participated in and on Sunday she attended the Bridges (string program) concert that some other Montessori students participated in (along with students from several other city public schools). It should be noted that her own three children do not participate in these programs but she took time out of her weekend to attend these programs. I watched as children ran up to her excited to see her and proud to share with her what they've accomplished on their string instrument. We need more leaders in education like Ms. Allison for city schools!

Posted March 14, 2011

If the parents of the students knew half of what goes on in those classrooms there wouldn't be a school anymore. This is not opinion it is fact. There is no discipline in this school. I personally believe deeply in Montessori principals but one has to be a realist when considering that this is an inner city school and discipline is necessary. In general, the school survives because of the demographic. The wealthy children from Roland Park have parents who won t let them fail and can tolerate the lack of basic education because they force their children to do homework at night. The impoverished children from the immediate area have negligent parents who aren t really paying attention. Please be careful with allowing your children to go to school here. I'm disappointed that my tax dollars are funding this experiment.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted December 30, 2010

I second Dr. Alonzo's call for opening more schools like this in Baltimore City. It's no surprise that he would say this about Baltimore Montessori Public Charter. The city and all of the parents I know at the school love what is happening there. I have one son at this school and he has really taken to the challenging curriculum and the engaging surroundings. The principle, Allison Schecter, works tirelessly at knowing every child and their families. The involvement of the parents, teachers, staff AND the local community, make this school a gem. Intensive academic instruction is exceptional and teaches kids to really understand the depth of each track. (Not simply staring into a textbook and reading back the words) I'm also very impressed with the exposure that the kids have to everything from planting organic vegetables, doing yoga, learning to cook healthy meals, and the list goes on. I'm incredibly grateful to everyone at the school and the leadership that Allison shows on a daily basis. Locking down plans for the new middle school is yet another example of her dedication and creativity in a part of the city that needs it. If you can, get your kids into this school!

Posted December 30, 2010

I find Ms debeka to be truly outstanding and wonderful. A true asset to this otherwise dreary and poorly run institution, I suggest that they, the administration,ask Ms Debeka to give lessons from her vast wealth of 37 years of teaching in the Montessori school system how to run this school better. It could only be a big improvement. I would rate this school as excellent if all the students were lucky enough to have Ms Debeka as their teacher.

Posted December 4, 2010

My child is in his third year (also the school's third year open) at BMPCS. He's in a classroom with a new teacher, but she already knows him and can challenge him in a direct and personal way I can't imagine possible elsewhere. This school just attracts great people -- great teachers, great families, great students! I'm also thrilled with the extras that happen -- Bridges, sciences, yoga, bake sales, chess. No matter what he's involved with or not, we love having him here. It's relieving to know his development is progressing positively across all aspects, not just academically, but socially and relationally. The academics are wonderful alone, but with everything else it's just what he/we need.

Posted September 5, 2010

A unique charter school in the city. Visionary, committed, leadership. An excellent board and very engaged parents. Making the principles of Montessori-style education work within the Baltimore City public school system is an extremely difficult proposition. As a parent of two BMPCS kids, I am continually impressed and encouraged by the dedicated work of the principal and her staff. Expanding BMPCS to middle school shows great determination and resourcefulness.

Posted August 25, 2010

Working in public education for 15 years, my husband and I have worked with a variety of teachers, administrators, and schools - we have been accountable for growth in test scores on a variety of levels. We chose to send our 3 children to this school because of the visionary leadership that values the whole child, and the dedication of staff to make the vision a reality in everything they do. One of our children has special needs and is fully included in the classroom with appropriate supports and is flourishing. All of our children are engaged and are encouraged to take ownership of their learning by making guided choices. The curriculum is rigorous and naturally engaging. We have seen the learning in action! There is always room for growth, and this school seems to keep growing in different ways to meet the needs of the children they are committed to.

Posted August 22, 2010

We have one child who is attending Baltimore Montessori Public Charter School and one child who will begin in the Fall. Every great school starts with great leadership. The Director is an amazing leader who has ensured that the school stays focused on its mission to provide an authentic Montessori experience. We have been very impressed with the quality of the teachers and their commitment to understanding and supporting each individual child. The level of work and development of our child over the past two years has been incredible. The school is very committed to ensuring the development of the whole child - intellectual, social, emotional, and to develop and honor each child's individual strengths. We feel very fortunate to have our children attend this school.

Posted August 21, 2010

We have been thoroughly impressed with our son's teacher and the overall experience at BMPCS. He will be returning for his second year and is very excited about it. Throughout the school year last year, his teacher communicated consistently and clearly with us about his academic progress and social behavior. Whenever there was a concern, on her part or ours, it was addressed immediately by her. In regards to the school as a whole, you can see things are going well just by looking at the children; they are, for the most part, smiling and on task. We found the administration to be very friendly and helpful. Something that exemplifies the high quality of the school is the morning drop off; the Director is out in front of the school everyday greeting all of the children personally. It is a great way to start the day.

Posted August 21, 2010

I have two children at Baltimore Montessori Public Charter School and I could not be happier with the education they are receiving - the rigor of the curriculum and the quality of instruction and the overall spirit and values of the school. My kids love coming to school and we feel so lucky to be part of the school community. I am also incredibly impressed with the capacity and dedication of the leadership, teachers and staff - constantly rethinking and refining the program to address the needs and potential of every child. I have also grown to appreciate the montessori approach. We actually chose the school, not for montessori, but because we were so inspired by the Director and confident in the capacity of the Board to help implement the vision. I love how and what my kids are learning!

Posted August 19, 2010

Our son has been a student at Baltimore Montessori for the past two years, and we are unbelievably happy with his time there. The administration bends over backwards to try to meet the needs of the varied student population, and has been quite successful in our opinion. The structure of the classroom allows for many different learning levels and styles, and this has been a real bonus for our son. He spends his days in a caring and challenging learning environment where he is always asked to be his best. The dedication of staff; both teaching and administrative is incredible. The school has had its growing pains over the past two years, but each step has provided a stronger foundation for the next steps. We are grateful that there is such a wonderful option as part of the Baltimore public school system.

Posted August 18, 2010

I have two children enrolled in this school and I am extremely pleased with our family's experiences. The director is an outstanding leader who is truly dedicated to the school and its mission and cares deeply about every child and family. The teachers are so responsive to the children, and I see a level of professionalism and dedication to the classrooms that is all too rare these days. I am also very impressed with caliber of work my children are doing... speaking as a former private school teacher, I can attest that Baltimore Montessori is really preparing these kids to be successful in high school and beyond. What impresses me most about this school, however, is the staff's sincere commitment to the school's mission, vision, and goals. Those aren't just words on a plaque for this team; they are the principles that guide and inform everything the administrators and teachers do.

Math

The state average for Math was 74% in 2014.

27 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 77% in 2014.

27 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2013-2014 Maryland used the Maryland School Assessment (MSA) to test students in grades 3 through 8 in reading and math, and grades 5 and 8 in science. The MSA is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Maryland. The goal is for all students to score at or above proficient on the test.

Math

The state average for Math was 81% in 2014.

28 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 86% in 2014.

37 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 73% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 89% in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 64% in 2014.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 4% 6%

Language learning

Foreign languages taught
  • Spanish
Level of ESL/ELL programming offered

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school
  • Before school

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Montessori

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
  • Join PTO/PTA

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

1600 Guilford Ave