Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)

This school is awesome. Our son enrolled in the 4th grade. His old school recommended meds. and said he couldnt focus on his work. His reading and math were below grade level. In Montessori the same teachers are with a student for 3yrs. His teachers had so much patience. Now in 6th grade he is a focused student who is exceeding his level expectations. Most importantly, he loves school and learning. His old Baltimore County school had almost destroyed that enthusiasm. That school expected all children to learn the same thing, the same way, at the same time all while sitting still in a seat for long periods of time. No wonder so many children can't focus. It's totally in contradiction with their development. BMPCS is an oasis in the Baltimore City and County School Systems There are 1000+ families on the waitlist If the Baltimore City School Board would embrace this school model and open many more Montessori schools, Baltimore city would become a beacon to parents. I personally know 3 families that would move to the city if they could go to this school. The only other Montessori opportunities in the area cost $15000 per student. Public Montessori is wanted and needed. Thank you to Allson Shecter, founder and director and her amazing staff.

My two daughters are in the Children's House at BMPCS for the past two years and they love it. I enjoy the Montessori way of teaching especially for the younger grades. Both their teachers have taught at private Montessori schools and provide the same level of teaching you would get at a private school. I am impressed by some the concepts they are introduced to such as multiplication in pre-k! I believe it may be difficult for students used to traditional teaching to migrate to Montessori environment initially and may take time. In my opinion its best to be introduced at an early stage. They don't give homework which is my only disappointment. But overall I am very grateful to have been able to get into the program and to have this opportunity for my kids in the city.

As a parent of two children at BMPCS and a longtime believer in both Montessori education broad curriculum and public school education, I feel that Baltimore Montessori is doing a great job at educating our children, looking beyond the barriers of testing to the social/emotional needs of each child and focusing on real world connections on a daily basis. The leadership shows a great deal of trust in her community both within the school and surrounding the school. She is outside the front door every morning to greet both parents and students each morning with a smile. She entrenches herself in issues beyond the classroom, focusing on the needs of students and the surrounding community. The teachers seem to be constantly learning and growing from each other and the surrounding community as well. It is a welcoming environment that allows parents into classrooms for a variety of activities. In regards to the comment that my children's school is unaware of white privilege seems very off in my opinion. The staff does a great deal to educate themselves on race and class issues. The daily community meetings that happen in my child's class seem to not only focus on present day issues, but help students look beyond their neighborhood or community to a larger world view. I would recommend this school to anyone looking for a balanced education for their students and for themselves. - BMPCS Parent

School leadership is generally unaware of white privilege and is off theark when it comes to addressing race issues. There is a clear divide inside the school and the ainistration feels its being addressed but clearly its not. Furthermore the curriculum is so underwhelming, children will not go one to succeed at a more competitive school without a lot of external extra curricular support.

This school has wonderful parent involvement and a really friendly staff. There's a dedication to the flow of the school that you can't help but to appreciate. When in the office I feel completely welcomed and at random kids walk around to offer warm cookies they just made in the kitchen with the cooking aid. I love that about the school. Also the parents have the same goals for their children's learning environment that bring us supportively together. The only reason I gave my school 4 out of 5 is because there are challenges for new families to get the hang of the pace of the Montessori curriculum especially if you don't start you kid at a pre-k level. It can be hard to gage where your child stands right away because your not going to see graded work. It would be helpful to have a workshop to coach new families on tips and tools to improve the overall understanding of the learning method before school starts. I would suggest doing research on the lifestyle and learning style of Montessori teachings before you start this school so you can have the tools to encourage your child from home also.

BMPCS is an amazing school. My family and I are so fortunate to have this gem in our backyard. The staff are dedicated , caring , and extremely knowledgeable. I have 5 year old twins, who have attended BMPCS for 2 years, and every day they literally run top speed to school. We LOVE BMPCS!!

Honestly, this school should have been shut down a long time ago. My son is exceedingly bright, and did well above advanced on the MSA. One year at this school, and he became basic in math. How could this happen unless the staff was negligent? And how can we, as parents, help our children when there is no homework and nothing to study? Great concept, lacking appication.

This is an absolutely wonderful school. I love the Montessori style of education and Baltimore is so privileged to have a public Montessori school that students can attend free of charge. The teachers and staff are amazing, the school is extremely well run, and it is a wonderful learning environment for children.

I can't figure out why the school does not offer a full-day program for the 3 year olds. Where is the extra cost? 3 year olds are part of the 3-5 year old classrooms. When they go home, no teachers or aides from those classrooms leave. They stay with the 4-5 year olds. So if there is no additional personnel cost, what is the issue? I understand the difficulty of finding an aftercare vendor for 3 year olds (staff ratio problems for that age), whether the kids are released at noon or 3pm, but with those children already in the building, they have the ability to create their own aftercare program. There are other inner city, public Montessori programs in other cities where the 3 year olds are included in the full-day program, and have an aftercare program. Only certain families can afford and arrange the logistics for the 3 year old program, and it shuts out working and middle class working parents especially. As the entry point to the school, the design of this excludes children of working parents from the school long-term, as those 3 year olds move into the 4 year old slots.

I wish I could abstain from the star rating as my child does not attend this school, but I am not able to do that. I do want to chime in regarding the 3-year-old half-day issue. My 3 year old was accepted to Baltimore Montessori via the lottery, but the fact that it is half day for the 3-year-old class WITHOUT ANY AFTERCARE made Montessori not possible for this working mom. And while it is true that there are no other public school options for 3-year-olds, a 2.5 hour day is harder logistically and more expensive for working parents (assuming you have to hire a part-time nanny) than most day-care facilities. I do wonder what is behind the half-day/no aftercare policy and what effect that policy has on the demographics of the families who accept places in the school.

Last modified Baltimore Montessori Public Charter School is a Charter school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.