Parkville High School

Public | 9-12 | 1616 students

Sweep tile

Posted April 12, 2013

I graduated from here. It was a great school. Some kids were rowdy but others were quiet and did their work. The teachers were good. They knew what they were doing and were professional as well as the guidance counselors. I miss it.

Posted August 20, 2012

When we moved to the Parkville area, everyone commented that if your kid didn't get into the magnet program, don't waste time sending him/her to Parkville High. Its reputation scared us. Our opinion has changed. After attending an elite high school outside our neighborhood and being miserable, our child asked to be transferred into Parkville High, as a regular student, not a magnet student. We were hesitant but...now we couldn't be happier. The teachers have responded to every email, the guidance office was fantastic with the transfer, communication between school and home is strong, the classes are challenging. Our child is minutes from school...4 minutes to be exact! Our child is learning, not being force fed information just for a test. We love the 4 class period schedule system per day (Why doesn't every high school do this!?) In a few years, college will be here and so will the real world. Parkville offers just that, choices for the future and a slice of what the real world is all about. We are thankful that we listened to our child. We now have a happy teenager living in our house, who just so happens to be excelling in school! Go Knights!

Posted June 23, 2012

I loved this school when i attended, faculty is great an i had an amazing time and made friends that have lasted to this day !

Posted June 28, 2011

The school has good teachers. The students are sometimes rowdy and need positive guidance but it is a great school.

Posted September 21, 2009

as a resent graduate of this wonderful establishment, i can honestly say i had a wonderful time. I started off with mixed feelings about the school, but as the years went by, i realized what a wonderful school i had attended, especially compared to some of the other high schools. The school is so diverse with the nationalities of the many students and the personalties of the many people seemed to fit well. There is no such feeling of not belonging because there are many groups, organizations, and amazing people to get along with. The teachers are so amazing! They are always after school and are willing to help with educational and personal problems. 'P-Ville' High is an awesome school to be a member of.

Posted December 27, 2008

As a junior at parkville, i can say i learn more everyday. All of my teachers are very educated and helping us to understand the lesson they prepare well. In our spirit at parkville is up to rate. We have alot of spirit this year. Even though out football team did not do there best this season we have basketball and we the best. The behavior have went down to the actions the staff had done by putting out trouble makers and sending them somewhere else where they can be a fool. && i read a comment about the northern students coming to parkville. I did attend northern my 9th grade year but i moved to the parkvilee area and i must say i have learned more then i ever could from that school could teach me. So don't try to put down another school b/c that is totally.

Posted February 20, 2008

as a former student of parkville high school, I would rate it as very good. There are very dedicated teachers...and discipline has really stepped up this year..kids seem to behave alot more..I think with the new administration, Parkville has really stepped up

Posted July 5, 2007

As a parent of a junior at Parkville and a Parkville Alumni, I believe Parkville still has some really great teachers. The principles of learning it had in the past still exist. There are a few teachers that don't have a clue and a few that have been too long in an environment of trying to control teens and are showing signs of wear. It will be good for new administration to enter the picture. School spirit does happen on a smaller scale and in a more cool quiet way. The guidance department needs to be more proactive. The magnet program and the AVID program, for the B-D student that need some college preparation, are an excellent part of what Parkville offers. Newsweek just a few months ago rated Parkville one of the top ten schools in Maryland.

Posted July 4, 2007

I am disapointed in this school my child has went from a city school to a county school and it is not any different!

Posted June 12, 2007

As a sophomore at Parkville, I can say that everyone is right that the school spirit is pathetic here. However, the current principle from Parkville Middle is coming in, Mr Edgar. Mr Edgar is quite involved, and does a very good job as principle of the middle school. Also, people are right that if you are not in the magnet program, this school is not for you. The teachers are all fairly good, however, especially in the higher classes. There are only a few clueless teachers, and they seem to get better or leave pretty quick. Overall, I'd say the school is pretty OK.

Posted May 19, 2007

I attended a private school and my son attends Parkville. I can say that Parkville rivals my private school education and may even surpass it. Parkville is a top-notch school for those who care, and unfortunately, those who do not care attend as well.

Posted November 3, 2006

My son is a sophomore in the Parkville s Magnet program. I would rate the program as very good to excellent. However, if my child was not part of the advanced magnet program I would be extremely concerned about his ability to get a quality education. This is not a reflection on the teachers but rather the apparent out of control students that makes for a dysfunctional learning environment. School pride is nonexistent and it starts at the top with the Principal. It s time for new leadership to take over and preferably someone who actually cares about the school and the students.

Posted September 4, 2006

As a former student, I have to say Parkville is a overall bad school. Not that it doesn't have capable teachers, it doesn't have a capable administration. Students are a little out control, I had a few 'dead' classes where you knew nothing would be done during the class because of behavior problems and such. Overall id say Parkville is a unmotivated county school seeming to suffer from some of the problems of many city schools have.

Posted October 23, 2004

If your child is in the Magnet Program or in GT classes they will be fine. But if you have a child who does not excel academically & is in the standard classes there's trouble. Most of these kids are left overs from Northern High, that's right Balto. City., I don't know why they are allowed in but they are there. Most of the kids in the standard classes have foul mouths, they could care less about their education. The teacher's spend most of the classrm time diciplining those students. It's very sad. I'm very sad that my son is grouped with these kinds of kids.

Posted August 30, 2004

As a parent we have seen our son recieve overall an excellent source of high school education and the school has several top class teachers in the field of science, math and computer programming, who are devoted to students. The students are motivated and challenged to achieve their best academically. A few students do apply and get into top notch schools across the nation. Could use a wider range of academically oriented extracurricular activities, such as debate and math clubs. The school also excels in providing lots of opportunities in sports related Extracurricular activities. Music program could be better.

Posted August 26, 2003

Parkville High School is better than any private school in Baltimore. The teachers are superb and caring. The magnet program provides the most exciting and stimulating curriculum I have seen for students interested in science, math and computer science. The students are prepared to go to the best colleges and universities--and they do.

Posted August 10, 2003

As a teacher of Parkville High, I have to commend the level of education the students recieve considering there are more than 2000 students attending. We are dedicated to not only teaching content but, we are dedicated to mentoring. We help them decide on positive decisions in their lives. We would like to see a little more parental involvement. Thank you for those parents who are involved.
—Submitted by a teacher

Grade level

Algebra

The state average for Algebra was 84% in 2013.

362 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology

The state average for Biology was 83% in 2013.

378 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English II

The state average for English II was 83% in 2013.

398 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Maryland used the Maryland High School Assessments (HSA) to test students in English 2, Algebra, and Biology upon completion of each course. The HSA is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Maryland. Students are required to pass the tests in order to graduate. The goal is for all students to pass the tests.

Source: Maryland State Department of Education

Asian 9% 6%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 47%N/A40%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

2600 Putty Hill Ave