Bad
Good

My daughter was new to the school this year and has had a fabulous 3rd grade year. We came from a good city school but decided to try CNH due to the smaller class sizes and integrated curriculum. We were not disappointed! Art, dance, music are all integrated into the main classroom activities which my daughter loved. The kids get lots of opportunity to move around in the classroom and work in groups which teaches leadership and collaboration. There are challenging students, as in any classroom, but I have seen them disciplined fairly and kindly which serves as a model for how my child treats them too. Lastly, I like the way that the kids have one main teacher up to third grade and then 2 main teachers in 4 & 5th grade - the school we left was transitioning the kids between 6-8 teachers and classrooms a day to 'get them ready for middle school' - in third grade! That kind of frequent transition would have been hard on my kid. No school is perfect, but this one has been a good fit for our family and I'm glad we gave it a chance.

As a 2nd grader my child experienced ongoing social and emotional bullying to the point that she needed medical care from all the stress she was under. The principal and homeroom teacher were made aware, seemed concerned, yet did nothing. They couldn't see what was happening because my daughter was being threatened not tell, and was being coerced into acting like nothing was wrong. She was humiliated in class for her appearance, had lunch trash stuffed down her shirt, and was constantly criticized and made fun of. The principle couldn't even return my call as she had promised, to discuss a plan. The child doing the bullying received no disciplinary action that we were aware of, and we were basically blown off. We were not taken seriously, and thus removed our children from the school. It was really sad because in theory the school is wonderful, but it reality it failed us miserably. I wouldn't recommend this school to anyone.

My child has been attending this school for 4 years -- and it has only been open for five. It's undergone a lot of growth and change in that time both in student population and leadership, but all along it has maintained quality teachers who do intensive work with kids. My child has been supported both academically and behaviorally. It isn't perfect, but it's growing, and will do well as it continues to attract strong families who help support the program and educators. If you are interested in a school that doesn't "teach to the test", it's worth checking out. CNH teaches the whole student, not just the test taker.

City NeighborsHamilton. My son was new to the school this year we were new to the city last year and he had to go to a city public school. Thankfully after a year in that school with no communication or discipline for the children my so got chosen to attend City Neighbors what a breath of fresh air I absolutly love the open communication with the teachers on a daily basis. Your child is lucky if chosen for a spot.

I am happy to no longer have my children in this school. It is not a safe environment. The principal is terrible and the secretary can be unpleasant to deal with. I went to the principal with a concern about bullying (agressive behavior) and being in a safe environment. At first I emailed her about some concerns due to my work hours. She wouldn't answer simple answers via email and kept asking me to come in. I went in for a conference and found out why she wouldn't answer my questions via email. The school had never practiced certain drills other than fire drills. I found out doors had been left open and teachers didn't carry keys. When I asked about the consequence for a child that pushed my daughter against a fence and for another child that threw things in the class and hit another student, she didn't give me a response that answered my question. I found out both children where allowed in the classroom soon after the events. The school tolerates aggression in the classrooms and playground. My children are also happy to be in new schools. If you live in the city, don't send your child here, pay for private school.

Last modified City Neighbors Hamilton is a Charter school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.