K-8|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)

Our son just started his fourth year at TNCS. We love this school so much we are going to be sending our younger kids there as soon as they are of age to do so. The teachers and administration are all very caring, helpful, and constantly thinking of new and more ways to improve. We've seen our son flourish at TNCS and develop great friendships with classmates and teachers alike. The combination of two foreign languages (taught by native speakers), Montessori approach, and reasonable cost are exceedingly hard to find. TNCS also does a great job of getting parents/families involved. We considered several schools and researched many more, but fell in love with TNCS when we made our first visit.

Teacher effectiveness: Neutral

The teachers range from fantastic to really inept. Unfortunately, this is likely the product of high turnover related to poor administration and overly involved "founders."

We love the school and find it to be a warm and excellent learning environment for our toddler. The teachers are well trained and very involved with the needs of the children. The school administration however is often disorganized in the handling of registration documents. Also the school guidelines and policies are not very transparent.

The New Century School is a top private school in Baltimore. At $11,500 a year consider how valuable it is to have your child in a great urban school preparing them for the global challenge.

This is an excellent school. Our child has completed three years here and our family has made long term plans to remain at the school. The Montessori approach has allowed our daughter to springboard her early skills. The level of quality speaks to the growing enrollment and how each year the school makes innovative decisions. Not one family I know has ever believed that there is a better school choice for pre-k and elementary. Of the families that have left, the primary reason is to avoid private school tuition. It is an investment to have your child nurtured in small classes with Chinese and Spanish language lesson immersion! This school upholds good child behavior to the highest standard. The head of school is almost always at the door to greet. The staff is accountable and accessible. The school is a cornerstone to Fells Point families and to advancing education beyond the status quo.

I applied for my son to attend this school. I never received notification of whether or not he was accepted. I made repeated attempts to ask about the status of his application, and received no reply. My interaction with the admissions representative prior to applying also did not feel professional. I was told the principal would be in touch with me, and this never happened. I did not receive a good vibe from this school due to this experience. Another concern I had: after age 2-3, the language immersion program ends, and the kids only receive a language class daily, rather than having the immersion experience. I have doubts this would lead to fluency, which I think should be the goal of a truly bilingual program.

My son attends The New Century School and we love it. Very loving, nurturing environment. It has things you just don't find at other schools: 1) Organic, vegetarian, homemade lunch program. Now, we are not vegetarians at home, but the school food is nutritious and low in sugar. 2) Language immersion. Spanish and Chinese are offered from 2-3 years old, with both languages being taught on alternating days in the primary and upper school. 3) Accessible staff, teachers and administrators. Always have had questions answered and individual solutions worked out for my child when necessary. Art, music, movement, and positive virtues instilled as part of the everyday curriculum.

Checked out the websute when searching for schools. Too many questions not adressed. Would be concerned about lack of any accredidtion with any private school accrediting body such as AIMS. Also, a little dissapointing that there are no teacher/staff/management profiles on the website as is standard at most all other credible private schools. Makes you question credentials of those tecaching and managing the school. A good feeder school needs to be part of the educational community and found none of that on the website.

New Century is a very nurturing environment combining Montessori principles with language immersion learning opportunities in Spanish and Mandarin Chinese. The Fells Point setting also provides great learning opportunities in the heart of the city. My daughter can develop her language skills and a broader cultural understanding while also developing independence, and concentration skills. She loves learning in the greenhouse, loves her music and art classes, and she loves her teachers and friends!

Last modified The New Century School is a Private school that serves grades K-8