Shady Spring Elementary School

Public | PK-5 | 618 students

Our school is best known for our gifted teachers, and abundance of technology.

Posted January 9, 2014

I love this school. Two of my children have attended this school. My daughter started this school in 3rd grade and graduated in 2011, and my son is still there and in third grade now. He has been attending Shady Spring since pre-k. I've never had any problems in this school. The teachers and principal are great. Mrs Carver, the school councelor, is the most beautiful, caring person I've met there. She can help u with concerns that you may have or lead u in the direction where you can be helped. Principal Dunaway us always smiling and interacting with the students. He is very hands on. I also have a grandson who attends this school. He is in 1st grade and he had serious trouble with his reading fundamental skills. He was no where near his grade level in reading. In a matter of a month or so, after a meeting with his teacher and a team of administrators, he can now read me a whole children's book and every chance he gets, he wants to read something. I am so excited for him. My sincere Thanks to Shady Spring!

Posted January 8, 2014

My son started here this school year 2013 after we moved to the area and i can say i am so unsatisfied with SSES. He came home one day in clothes i didnt send him in an informed me a child at another lunch table who was fighting with a child at my sons table came over an DUMPED milk on my son when he got caught in the cross fire and the school DID NOT even call me to inform me or write me an email/send home a letter NOTHING. Than my son had an accident on himself in class after his teacher would not allow him to go to the bathroom he is 6 yrs old an has been potty trained since 2 and again the school did not call me. im so disappointed in this school my son doesnt even want to go to school anymore I WILL BE AT THE SCHOOL BOARD FILLING COMPLAINTS AND WILL TAKE LEGAL IF NOTHING IS HANDLED HERE THIS SCHOOL IS HORRIBLE DO NOT SEND YOUR CHILD HERE.

Posted October 2, 2013

I have two children in Shady Spring and I have not always been pleased with the school as a whole. Back to school night used to be very unsettling and unorganized and when there was no PTA, it was very concerning, but you need parent involvement to have a PTA and it didn't seem like there was much. I the last year or so, the parent involvement has seemed to increase a little bit and that is a great thing. Also, the last back to school night we went to was not too chaotic. My children have seemed happy at the school for the most part, except a few things here and there, and I have always thought the teachers that my children have had were always wonderful and caring.

Posted September 7, 2013

I was very hesitant about this school when my kids first started going because of the lack of a PTA. This is their second year there and I have totally changed my outlook. The teachers are very caring and welcoming of parent involvement. There is no PTA because the parents did not want to be involved.

Posted September 5, 2013

Shady Spring is an amazing school. The teachers are amazing, and it's obvious that they are there because they love children, and have a passion for teaching. Parent involvement opportunities are available, and the school takes parent/school partnership seriously. Parents are starting to take advantage of that opportunity...maybe they are feeling more valued and are beginning to understand their importance to the school. Either way, the involvement is growing. Somehow, the school has gotten a less than stellar reputation. I think it's more due to rumors, or people that don't really know what goes on there. As my family searches for a new home, our number one stipulation is that we remain in the SSES district. My daughter loves it there, and we want to send our younger daughter there in a few years. Highly recommended!

Posted September 5, 2013

In response to those who feel the school is negligent for the lack of a PTA....The first part of PTA is PARENT. I can assure you that there was recruitment for PTA, but they need PARENTS to lead it. I do know that this year, there is a group of dedicated parents to jump on board and start a PTA/PTO. The teachers and staff seem to be all for it...actually, downright excited. After getting to know the teachers, seeing the staff in action, I am amazed at how hard they all work for the school, the students, the parents, and the community. Regarding previous reviews regarding class parties or Halloween activities, there are reasons, which I, as an open-minded parent, understand. Halloween, and certain other holidays, can be very distracting and divisive in a school community. The main goal is learning, and trust me, the kids have fun learning. Teachers make sure of that. But to lower a school rating because they take EVERYONE into consideration (there's always kids left out of things like Halloween and Christmas activities) is absurd. When the feelings, backgrounds, beliefs, and world-views of all families are considered, ALL STUDENTS FEEL VALUED! Isn't that what we want?

Posted August 24, 2013

Everyone might think bad of SSES, but truth is it is an excellent school. To the parents that say their children's teachers don't pay attention to their child, it is because their child doesn't want to learn or stay focus. The teachers help and teach more to the children that came to the school to learn and not fool around. The only reason they don't have a PTA is because of the number of parents that want to be involved is far less then the number of parents not caring about their child's education. When i went to school at SSES they didn't have halloween parties or even a yearbook, but the funds went to something way better; The homeless kids at Franklin Square Hospital. These kids have school supplies and book bags. The kids get to have a lot of fun in class and especially field day at the end of the year. Also, 3rd -8th grade gets to go to P.A.L. center if they want to. If i could i would go back to the school because it is the only one that makes me want to learn and they are like family, so concern and helpful. P.S. I am going into 9th grade. Back-To-School Night was always hectic, but that's only because everyone doesn't have the audacity to be quiet.

Posted November 28, 2011

2011-2012 School Year.....back to school night was horrible just like the previous parent stated. The school staff did have good intentions, but have no idea how to manage. A lot of the parents talked loud and endlessly while the school staff was presenting. Halloween came and went and I did not receive any notices in regards to any school Halloween activities. I have 2 children in this school and my kids were expecting something to be told them as to yes there will be a costume parade or a costume party or no the school does not participate, etc. Kids were very disssapointed. One of my kids teacher never responded to my school conference time so I was deprived of this valuable time. Homework is worthless because it's not clear and teacher does not respond to questions about it. I don't even think she grades or reviews their homework because I never see any corrections on the homework.. I'm so dissapointed in this school and can't wait to get my kids out of this school. The only positive thing I can say about the school is the Open Door program which is very good and they have an excellent staff.

Posted September 1, 2011

have concerns about this school. Back to school night was only worthwhile because we got to meet the teachers and see some rooms. I couldn't hear anything the principal was saying and the statistics they showed didn't really say much about the school except how good kids score on tests. I guess some care about test scores most but I was more interested in the school routine and expectations for the kids and how to communicate and what parents can do to help out. It sounds like there is no PTA.

Posted July 27, 2011

This school is HORRIBLE! It's no wonder how Golden Ring got to the point it is at now. I am also an involved parent and have been frustrated to the point of tears numerous times because of this school. They have a way of making even an educated and involved parent feel like an idiot for trying to be involved. They also have no PTA...NONE! Are you serious??!!! It's only a matter of time before this school gets exposed for its negligence. They're a lawsuit waiting to happen! They need an emergency intervention.

Posted April 10, 2011

I am very disapointed in this school's leadership. I believe there is an implementation problem with the curriculum. My daughter has been enrolled since Kindergarten and when I enrolled her the MSA scores were in the high 80's now it is low 80's and even 70's in Math. The classroom teachers for 2nd grade is very inconsistent with test, homework and unfortunately they have to spend most of their time disciplining children who don't get attention at home.

Posted January 5, 2010

I have to admit that I was a little leary about sending my daughter to public school but she has excelled above expectation and I owe it all to the teachers and staff at SSE. Her dad and I put forth all the effort we can but without her teachers pushing her from the sideline she would be watching the game instead of playing the game. She has scored well above average and maintaied excellent grades. I give a big high five to the SSE 1st grade teachers and staff for all of their help.

Posted August 10, 2009

i love this school i want my child to stay there till the fith grade and they have great event in the school like field day on the summer

Posted October 24, 2008

I have had 4 children in this school. We have been part of the SSE community for 11 years and are more than pleased with the experience. The teachers truly care about their children- even the ones who test their patience. We have been particularly impressed with Staff: Parks, Selmer, KW, Wunder, Le, Edwards, Luken, Lippa, Jennings, Boggs, Harding, Carver and the list could go on. It's evident the team puts their own time and heart into this school.I appreciate the dedication to personal attention, academic quality and character development! Keep up the valuable work!

Posted August 13, 2008

We as teacher work together as team. We learn from each other to benefit the children. My students are always eager to learn and particpate in lessons!
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted July 12, 2007

My son just completed 1st grade and to my suprise it was a great year for him. He had a rough start but a strong finish. Thanks to Mrs. Parks who always displayed patience and a gracious teaching style. She and her assistant really worked with him in reading and math and by 3rd quarter he had excelled in both. Thanks to Mrs Parks, Principal and Asst. Principal for a great year.

Posted November 27, 2006

I'm so impressed with the work of the school principal, and teachers alike in promoting discilpline, homework, and parent invlolvements. My daughter is in the third grade, and sincerely she does get challenged in the area of mathematics, and reading.

Posted September 25, 2006

My son is in Kindergarten this year, and so far it is going excellent!! His teacher Mrs. Buckheit has a very good and inviting attitude towards me. You know sending your kids off to school for the first time is VERY hard, last year when I sent my son to PreK, Mrs. Gregory and Ms. Carole were excellent, not only in the beginning but all the way to the end!!!! I have nothing but good things to say about Shady Springs Elementary, from the bus drivers, to the secretaries, the principle, asst. principle, JUST ABOUT EVERYONE.

Posted November 1, 2005

shady spring is a wonderful school. The teachers are very involved with the childrens education. It was a great experience having my children attend they allowed me to be included as much as possible in the class room activities. The staff is very courteous and friendly. My children attended this school for 3 & 4 years. They learned alot they are very focused on the reading aspect and it shows my son was reading at his level in pre-k.

Posted August 11, 2003

My child really learned and enjoyed her head start program. Her Pre-K teacher, Mrs. Gregory covered a lot of educational material which not only deals with the usual ABC's but also emphasizes good values. I am hoping that my child will receive excellent teaching from the kindegarten program this year.

Math

The state average for Math was 82% in 2013.

85 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 83% in 2013.

85 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 89% in 2013.

90 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 88% in 2013.

91 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 81% in 2013.

81 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 88% in 2013.

81 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 67% in 2013.

79 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 8% 6%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 74%N/A42%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
ELL/ESL Coordinator
Reading specialist(s)
School psychologist
School social worker/counselors(s)
Special education coordinator
Speech and language therapist(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Foreign languages spoken by school staff None
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
  • Special education coordinator
  • Speech and language therapist(s)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)

• Choir / Chorus
  • Instrumental music lessons

Language learning

Level of ESL/ELL programming offered
  • Intensive - the school offers a full program for many languages and/or offers at least one very comprehensive program school-wide for at least 25% of our population
  • ELL/ESL Coordinator

Health & athletics

• Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
  • Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • School psychologist
  • Access to sports fields
  • Gym
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")

School start time
  • 9:05 am
School end time
  • 3:45 am
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 7:00 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 6:00 p.m.
  • Principal, Ken Dunaway
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
  • Coed
Is there an application process?

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Core knowledge
  • Hybrid
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• None
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Reading specialist(s)
  • School psychologist
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
  • Special education coordinator
  • Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Foreign languages spoken by staff
Extra learning resources offered
  • Computer lab
  • Gym
  • Internet access
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room

• Instrumental music lessons
Performing arts
Media arts

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Girls w. Pearls/Guys w. Ties
  • Lego Club
  • Peer Mediators

School culture

Dress Code
  • Dress code
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Monitor the playground
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Title I input