Baltimore, MD
Before care: Yes

Posted December 11, 2014
Shady spring elementary is an amazing school i love going here the teachers are so nice to us i hope you choose shady spring

Shady Spring Elementary School 4

Posted January 09, 2014
I love this school. Two of my children have attended this school. My daughter started this school in 3rd grade and graduated in 2011, and my son is still there and in third grade now. He has been attending Shady Spring since pre-k. I've never had any problems in this school. The teachers and principal are great. Mrs Carver, the school councelor, is the most beautiful, caring person I've met there. She can help u with concerns that you may have or lead u in the direction where you can be helped. Principal Dunaway us always smiling and interacting with the students. He is very hands on. I also have a grandson who attends this school. He is in 1st grade and he had serious trouble with his reading fundamental skills. He was no where near his grade level in reading. In a matter of a month or so, after a meeting with his teacher and a team of administrators, he can now read me a whole children's book and every chance he gets, he wants to read something. I am so excited for him. My sincere Thanks to Shady Spring!

Shady Spring Elementary School 1

Posted January 08, 2014
My son started here this school year 2013 after we moved to the area and i can say i am so unsatisfied with SSES. He came home one day in clothes i didnt send him in an informed me a child at another lunch table who was fighting with a child at my sons table came over an DUMPED milk on my son when he got caught in the cross fire and the school DID NOT even call me to inform me or write me an email/send home a letter NOTHING. Than my son had an accident on himself in class after his teacher would not allow him to go to the bathroom he is 6 yrs old an has been potty trained since 2 and again the school did not call me. im so disappointed in this school my son doesnt even want to go to school anymore I WILL BE AT THE SCHOOL BOARD FILLING COMPLAINTS AND WILL TAKE LEGAL IF NOTHING IS HANDLED HERE THIS SCHOOL IS HORRIBLE DO NOT SEND YOUR CHILD HERE.

Shady Spring Elementary School 3

Posted October 02, 2013
I have two children in Shady Spring and I have not always been pleased with the school as a whole. Back to school night used to be very unsettling and unorganized and when there was no PTA, it was very concerning, but you need parent involvement to have a PTA and it didn't seem like there was much. I the last year or so, the parent involvement has seemed to increase a little bit and that is a great thing. Also, the last back to school night we went to was not too chaotic. My children have seemed happy at the school for the most part, except a few things here and there, and I have always thought the teachers that my children have had were always wonderful and caring.

Posted September 07, 2013
I was very hesitant about this school when my kids first started going because of the lack of a PTA. This is their second year there and I have totally changed my outlook. The teachers are very caring and welcoming of parent involvement. There is no PTA because the parents did not want to be involved.

Posted September 05, 2013
Shady Spring is an amazing school. The teachers are amazing, and it's obvious that they are there because they love children, and have a passion for teaching. Parent involvement opportunities are available, and the school takes parent/school partnership seriously. Parents are starting to take advantage of that opportunity...maybe they are feeling more valued and are beginning to understand their importance to the school. Either way, the involvement is growing. Somehow, the school has gotten a less than stellar reputation. I think it's more due to rumors, or people that don't really know what goes on there. As my family searches for a new home, our number one stipulation is that we remain in the SSES district. My daughter loves it there, and we want to send our younger daughter there in a few years. Highly recommended!

Posted September 05, 2013
In response to those who feel the school is negligent for the lack of a PTA....The first part of PTA is PARENT. I can assure you that there was recruitment for PTA, but they need PARENTS to lead it. I do know that this year, there is a group of dedicated parents to jump on board and start a PTA/PTO. The teachers and staff seem to be all for it...actually, downright excited. After getting to know the teachers, seeing the staff in action, I am amazed at how hard they all work for the school, the students, the parents, and the community. Regarding previous reviews regarding class parties or Halloween activities, there are reasons, which I, as an open-minded parent, understand. Halloween, and certain other holidays, can be very distracting and divisive in a school community. The main goal is learning, and trust me, the kids have fun learning. Teachers make sure of that. But to lower a school rating because they take EVERYONE into consideration (there's always kids left out of things like Halloween and Christmas activities) is absurd. When the feelings, backgrounds, beliefs, and world-views of all families are considered, ALL STUDENTS FEEL VALUED! Isn't that what we want?

Posted August 24, 2013
Everyone might think bad of SSES, but truth is it is an excellent school. To the parents that say their children's teachers don't pay attention to their child, it is because their child doesn't want to learn or stay focus. The teachers help and teach more to the children that came to the school to learn and not fool around. The only reason they don't have a PTA is because of the number of parents that want to be involved is far less then the number of parents not caring about their child's education. When i went to school at SSES they didn't have halloween parties or even a yearbook, but the funds went to something way better; The homeless kids at Franklin Square Hospital. These kids have school supplies and book bags. The kids get to have a lot of fun in class and especially field day at the end of the year. Also, 3rd -8th grade gets to go to P.A.L. center if they want to. If i could i would go back to the school because it is the only one that makes me want to learn and they are like family, so concern and helpful. P.S. I am going into 9th grade. Back-To-School Night was always hectic, but that's only because everyone doesn't have the audacity to be quiet.

Shady Spring Elementary School 4

Posted June 04, 2013
I must admit that I was a little leary about sending my child here, because of the initial experience with back to school night/orientation. My child attended this school for the 1st time in 2011-2012 year. The event seemed unorganized at first. It was difficult to hear due to the poor mic system and noise level related to the well attended event. However from that point on it has been nothing but a positive experience. The staff is great, and well in tune with the children. They seem to be genuinely caring of their students. My son loves it, and is doing very well academically. This school deserves a much higher overall ranking.

Shady Spring Elementary School 2

Posted November 28, 2011
2011-2012 School Year.....back to school night was horrible just like the previous parent stated. The school staff did have good intentions, but have no idea how to manage. A lot of the parents talked loud and endlessly while the school staff was presenting. Halloween came and went and I did not receive any notices in regards to any school Halloween activities. I have 2 children in this school and my kids were expecting something to be told them as to yes there will be a costume parade or a costume party or no the school does not participate, etc. Kids were very disssapointed. One of my kids teacher never responded to my school conference time so I was deprived of this valuable time. Homework is worthless because it's not clear and teacher does not respond to questions about it. I don't even think she grades or reviews their homework because I never see any corrections on the homework.. I'm so dissapointed in this school and can't wait to get my kids out of this school. The only positive thing I can say about the school is the Open Door program which is very good and they have an excellent staff.

Shady Spring Elementary School
8868 Goldenwood Rd, Baltimore, MD  21237
Last modified Shady Spring Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Shady Spring Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 26 reviews. Top