Stemmers Run Middle School

Public | 6-8 | 681 students

Posted October 21, 2010

I attended from 2000-2003. The GT program was really helpful but when I had to move down out of those classes I didn't learn a thing. Bullying has and seems like it will always be a problem. I had family attend in the 80s and 90s where it was a problem, and now my nieces attend and it's STILL a problem. I was terrified of going to school every day. And most of my former classmates went on to become teen parents, although a few already accomplished that in their time at Stemmers.

Posted August 24, 2010

I'm very proud to be a teacher at Stemmers. The administration and staff are dedicated, compassionate professionals who work together to meet challenges and solve problems. We consistently strive to provide a safe, supportive environment where students can begin to develop into informed and caring citizens who will go on to enjoy happy, productive, fulfilling lives. This is MOST effective (and more fun for everybody) when students and teachers and parents work as a team. I'm looking forward to a championship year!
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted June 26, 2010

If you can avoid this school please do. I pulled my son out of school May 2010 due to exposure to things a child should not be exposed to. Read between the lines please.

Posted March 22, 2010

My child is doing very well in this school. She is a straight a student. She loves going to this school also. I would not change a thing about it.

Posted August 4, 2009

it is remarkable i love this school too death ' its fun and lets you learn everything in a fun way too!' i love it!

Posted June 19, 2009

My child attended stemmers for the first time this year in the 6th grade. We moved from Washington State in 2004 and let me tell you this. You folks think you have a bad school here, try Washington. It's is night and day. I can't say all teachers, but I can say a majority of them care about the students and their education. I had one teacher (MR. Huber) that went beyond being a teacher to help my grandson get better grades and stay on tract. I kept in contact with all of his teachers by e-mails and phone conversations. Don't down grade something until you have seen all others. This school is a good school to be in and look forward to next year.

Posted June 18, 2009

My daughter loved it the past two years she was there. The techers are good, it's the kids that bring down the school.

Posted January 2, 2009

i am a student here at stemmers run and i have been for about 4 years now . I have been reading some of these comments and after the first page i was disgusted ! i can't believe how horrible the parents of students think this school is. the staff has been here for me through everything , in 6th grade mr.kimos helped me get out of alot of trouble , that doesn't mean i got off being un punished but he showed me how to control myself and made the next few years of school a whole lot easier . i can't believe some of these parents are so brainwashed into think this school is like hell . all of the staff helps us when we need something and they are all very understanding , i will admit that it's not the cleanest place , but it's not horrible .

Posted October 24, 2008

This school is absoultley horrible. From the administrators to some of the teachers. I have numerous occasions where my child recieved grades that did not belong to her. If you can avoid this school i would!

Posted September 26, 2008

This school is the best place ever.

Posted June 27, 2008

Stemmers has recieved many updates in the past couple of years that have improved the appearance of the school greatly. I think this effects the students respect for the building. Yes, there are 'bad' kids but students can make the choice to not hang out with them. It's about being mature and making the right choices. Stemmers has GREATLY improved since I started in the early 2000s.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted July 11, 2007

My daughter is enrolled at Stemmers and I am not very happy with the amount of homework she gets (not enough) and the fact that she has no books. She actually wants to change schools because she is not learning anything.

Posted March 15, 2007

This school is pretty good. They updated our school numerous times, so thank you. Even though not all of the teachers are nice or sometimes know what they're doing, they've taught us pretty good lessons. It is good that they have remodeled the school and even kept us safer with the new cameras!

Posted February 9, 2007

I believe that some of these teachers are rude and dn't try to help the children! Teachers are supposed to help and not be so mean! It's not my fault then some teachers think some students have problems so they talk to them and some times it makes the teacher look foolish! School is ar it's a place for learning! And some teachers fight over which activite the students shoud be in. Some times the student has to go to two so the teachers get really mad!

Posted January 8, 2007

Discipline and safety issues need to be resolved. The administration is unorganized. School is dirty and nasty even on conference nights. You can not drink the water. No air conditioning. I had to come in with cleaning supplies and clean the inside of my child s locker before she could use it.(Principal was aware.) The best Music & Art Department. Academics are mediocre at best. Some good teachers, some bad. Each year the school loses good teachers to other schools and a brand new right out of college teacher comes on board. We just hope that the new teacher doesn t lose their desire to teach after dealing with the administration and students at this school. Even after bring problems to the attention of administration, nothing is done. The current principal does not have a clue. My child is on to High School this year. I just hope the school we have chosen is better than Stemmers. PTA is great.

Posted October 3, 2005

I go to this school and I'm in the 6th grade. I feel that if you have problems go to the office. And just to let people know they have remodeled the school and about 3/4 of the teachers you get are nice. So parents think less about what others say and see the school for your own knowledge.

Posted July 19, 2005

My son attended Stemmers for the eighth grade. While alot of the children are horrible, the teachers he had were wonderful. My husband and I attended all conferences and they did everything possible to aide in our sons education. My daughter will be attending there this year. My biggest concern is that she will be bullied. If you are a decent parent, the academics will be fine. But the bullying is another story. I attended Stemmers in the 70's and the bullying was bad then. Really bad! I think if more parents took a stand and stay involved with their children, it will help alot. There should be consequences for bad behavior. In my daughter's elementary school, students were sent to the office for saying shut up. At Stemmers, my son daily heard kids curse at the teachers. That should be automatic suspension. That is totally disrepectful.

Posted May 20, 2005

My perception is that everyone on this site just wants to complain and not get in there and do 'something'. This area is full of SECTION 8 housing, which equals poverty. Unless the area changes, which it has recently, the school will not change. Many responses have indicated it was the 'worst school ever'. That may have something to do with 'parent involvement'! Stop pointing the finger and get into the school and help. It is your children bulling or it is your neighbors kids. Unless YOU take RESPONSIBILITY and your children then it is a never ending cycle of pointing fingers. This school has the most dedicated staff. Where else do you see a staff that does 10 extra after school duties for Someone's child because they are too busy? And if it took someone 5yrs to pass middle school I only have 1 thing to say.. NO SOCIAL PROMOTION!

Posted May 17, 2005

I am a 7th grade student at stemmers run middle school. Both years in this school for me have been pure misery. The teachers could care less about you. The students are very wild and unruly. And the school itself looks very grungy and nasty. The windows are old and worn out and are made of cheap plastic. The school has no air conditioning. The lockers are all banged up and messy. The bathrooms are covered in graffiti,have broken stall doors where the toilets are fully exposed, and smell very bad. The fountain water is brown and very bad to drink. The vending machines 'eat' up your money and do not work very well. The showers don't work. And The Food Is Bad.

Posted January 26, 2005

Hi. I attended Stemmers for 4 years for the fact that i was held back due to the lack of proper teaching in that school. If only you could no what its like to attend a broke down school. If you can send your child to another school, do it!

Math

The state average for Math was 68% in 2014.

190 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 83% in 2014.

234 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2013-2014 Maryland used the Maryland School Assessment (MSA) to test students in grades 3 through 8 in reading and math, and grades 5 and 8 in science. The MSA is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Maryland. The goal is for all students to score at or above proficient on the test.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2014.

244 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2014.

191 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 59% in 2014.

209 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 77% in 2014.

210 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 69% in 2014.

210 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 2% 6%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 59%N/A42%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
Librarian/media specialist(s)
Nurse(s)
PE instructor(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

Arts & music

Arts & music

Performing arts
  • Drama
needs to be verified by school leaders.

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

201 Stemmers Run Rd