Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)

Within the first week of school my child was concerned how students were being treated by the teachers in 6th grade. Some of the students needed teacher helpers. She told me about it, and I called the school. The very next day she was told by her home room teacher that the next time she has a problem she needs to go to them and not her parents. I heard negative comments about the band teacher Ms Katsu prior to my child entering 6th grade. I was told that she threw things, yelled at the students, and etc. Also, that many kids drop out of band due to her mannerism. Well, apparently it is true. I was informed that she became outraged at a student missing a note in a scale, and due to said student not having a writing utensil and it being second quarter, they should know better, she proceeded to throw a pencil at the kid so he could mark where he messed up. My child does not want to take band again next year, which is sad that instead of inspiring young kids she is driving them away. Additionally, a 6th grade math teacher doesn't like it when students lay their heads on their desk. Mrs Guichteau will go to the desk and slam her fists down on it. I understand that having a classroom full of 20-25 kids can be challenging, but that doesn't make any of this behavior okay. It is absolutely appalling!

Teacher effectiveness: Disagree

I've expressed concerns about teacher behavior, if anything I feel that the kids are learning inappropriate ways for dealing with situations, and are being turned away from creative areas due to their actions.

The school is great. My son, 6th grader, loves going there. It's the first time I saw him getting up early without an alarm. I am excited.

This school doesn't do anything for their graduating class of 8th graders. No graduation, just a dance that has a dress code of no formal wear and no limos. Really? They're excited about graduating. Let them have the fun they deserve. This school has had bomb threats and i heard about it from my child before the school contacted parents. I'm very unhappy with this school and it's aggravating that they don't care!!!

Develops character: Disagree

Students are definitely treated differently by the staff. A student issue is treated differently based on what staff thinks about the reporting student.

My son no longer feels safe at this school. He is bullied constantly and when he goes to staff about the problems he is having, he is either told he's making it up or is blamed for causing the issue. In other words, victim blaming. It is at the point he is hoping we move just so he doesn't have to go back to this school next year.

Both my children attend this school, 6th and 8th grade. Overall, we are very satisfied with the attention of teachers, how well organized the school is and most importantly the education both of my children are receiving.

I recently went to Southampton and I thought it was a decent school. The teachers do their job well and the classrooms are clean and organized. The Unified Arts programs they offer are hands on and intruiging. They conduct monthly fire drills and the principal is kind but also uses dicipline if needed. However, there is a big bullying problem. I can tell the school is trying to put an end to this, but their efforts are in vain. Over all, Southampton Middle is a good school, and I learned a lot there.

My son is a 7th grade student on the top band team. We are very happy with Southampton. The administration runs a tight ship and the teachers are excellent. Programs like Gettysburg preservation and the Marathon of Achievement make Southampton a special place. Congratulations!

Outstanding school. Students are well prepared for high school. Teachers and administration are truly dedicated. The building is immaculate. My two children felt safe and happy and have fond memories of their middle school years.

Last modified Southampton Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.