Posted March 22, 2013
I scored Calverton low, not due to the teachers, but for the Administration. The Principal has an agenda that excludes parental involvement. The PTA is weak/nonexistent. Her style also causes the Teachers, who are great and visibly care for the students, to limit their time to school hours only. They cannot get out of the school sooner. The Principal actively avoids eye contact with parents. The only point I would give the principal is she knows our child's name but due to her management style I am concerned WHY she knows my child name because my child is not a disciplinary problem. If you are parent who wants to participate in the community building process at your child's school, Calverton is not for you. Please do your research before selecting this school. I no longer like walking into Calverton and our family is considering moving to escape Calverton Elementary and the Principal's homeless/FARM mentality of the community.

Posted July 27, 2009
I was not pleased with the outcome of my son's quarterly reports as the year progressed. I feel as if I was short changed int he education department. Transitioning from a private school of a class of 10 students to a class of 25-30 students and one teacher. Never mind how great the teacher was; but she is only one person with no assistant dealing with high strung pre-teen boys and girls whose minds must be kept occupied. Its no wonder a child starting off with a above grade reading level just falls in line with the remainder of class and does not feel the need to put out more than what is required of him. The school system is not working for quite a bit of us and we need more options. in this area only one elementary school was provided that is not a choice. A disappointed mother

Calverton Elementary School 0

Posted February 26, 2008
I fully agree with other parents. The Principal does not listen to the parents' concerns. She wants to do what she wants to do. She is not there for the kids and constantly supports even teachers who are not getting along with the kids. She needs to serve the kids interest first and pay attention to some of the concerns parents have with the school. We need a new Principal. The kids have so much pressure. Kinderdergarden kids who came from day care centers should not be eating lunch at 10:30 a.m. That's a big change from 12:00p.m. She can organize the block classes and let the older kids eat first and the kindergardeners, 1st and 2nd graders eat a liitle late. I understand from the cafeteria that these kids dump their lunch in the trash sometimes because after breakfast, most of them are not hungry at 10or 10:30 a.m.

Calverton Elementary School 3

Posted November 30, 2006
I am very concerned about the safety of my daughter. It has been an increasing problem over the past three years. As she gets older I feel that it will only get worse. This includes both physical contact and sexual comments made towards her and her peers, by her peers, since kindergarten. Although I am very pleased with her teachers, I do not think administratively, the response to my concerns have been addressed and dealt with. That is because these issues occur in specials, lunch, recess, and on the bus. There do not seem to be these kinds of problems in the classroom where it is more structured.

Posted October 31, 2006
Although there are some exceptionally qualified and dedicated teachers at Calverton, there is a very stressful and demoralizing situation with the principal, who does not to appear to know how to run a school or understand the needs of elemenary aged children. I have seen the school go down hill in the past 3 years which is very sad, given the potential.

Posted December 31, 2005
I have been very disappointed with situations that have occured at Calverton. I am not happy with the fundraiser in 2005. Parents and teachers need to work as a team to help these kids be the best for the future. Unfortunately this year I have had a hard time with this. I do have to agree with one parent Ms. Hart is awesome as a teacher, and we do need a change in administration. Lets promote the vice principal to the principal position.

Calverton Elementary School 1

Posted October 25, 2005

Calverton Elementary School 1

Posted October 06, 2005

Calverton Elementary School 5

Posted June 08, 2005
As far as the principal of Calverton, she gets stressed easily and quickly. She wants total control of EVERYTHING! As a parent, I often wonder, what does she let her Asst principal do! I have three children in Calverton and they have enjoyed participating in the Black History Program and International festival that was ran by Mrs. Donnella. She is a fantastic teacher and does lots of work for this school. My children loves Mrs. Donnella. There are many qualified teachers in that building and they do a good job. My over all rating of Calverton, a good school, but it might be time for a change in administration!

Calverton Elementary School 4

Posted August 31, 2004
My two children spent one year in this school, then we moved back to our country. We generaly liked the school but, very important, were very happy with their teachers, Ms. Hart and Ms. Anderson. Wonderful persons and extremely well qualified.

Calverton Elementary School
3400 Beltsville Rd, Beltsville, MD  20705
Last modified Calverton Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Calverton Elementary School Rating: 2 out of 5 based on 11 reviews. Top