No rating

St. Joseph Catholic School

Private | PK-8 | 207 students

Living in Beltsville

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $170,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,300.

Posted September 25, 2014

I am so happy that I made the decision to send my daughter to St. Joe's. I love that there is a family atmosphere and the classes are relatively small. I have no doubt that my daughter is getting the attention that she needs. The staff is amazing -- always positive and so welcoming. The school is extremely well-run and the communication from school to home is exceptional. The building itself has gotten a lot of support from the parish and the new pastor has brought a new energy to the whole community. I highly recommend this school to anyone who is looking for a quality neighborhood school!

Posted September 18, 2014

St. Joseph s school is truly exceptional and, as a parent, I would highly recommend it. Small student body allows for individual care from teachers and staff, who treat and develop each child as the gift from God that he or she is. The principal greets you and your child with a smile each morning at an efficient drop off. And she waves good buy every afternoon at a very well organized pick up. The aftercare staff focuses on doing homework with the kids, but also allows them time to play and relax. Although it is an older school building, the equipment and supplies are on par with the best schools - from the brand new science lab, to smart boards in each classroom, to new air conditioning system. And students reflect all the care and great education that they receive at St. Joseph. They are polite, respectful and get accepted to the best high schools in the area. As another parent stated, St. Joseph is a gem.

Posted April 8, 2014

My daughter has been attending this school since K; she's now in 2nd grade. My experience so far has been good. Any time I've had an issue, I have been satisfied w/how they were resolved. I feel like the teachers my daughter has had so far have been caring. The only issue I have is the bldg; it really is old and could use some renovating. A/C in all class rooms should be installed.

Posted March 21, 2014

The teachers at this school help each and every student reach their full potential. And having a small student body all the students are very close to each other and help each other. My son is also in the aftercare program and when I pick my child up from school late in the day I see teachers who have put a full day in still working on projects and lessons for the students. This school is a gem!

Posted January 15, 2014

I honestly love the school and most of all my child which is most important, currently in Pre-K. She is recieving a great education and i love the programs offered. This is my first school experience in PGCPS and i would like to keep her attending here until 8th if we can continue

Posted December 18, 2013

Re. the previous 2012-13 comments, the school has a new principal now, a woman who is a lay Franciscan. Things have completely turned around. Parents and teachers all seem thrilled and the place is filled with joy.

Posted April 27, 2013

No longer a quality institution. Currently undergoing much turmoil....unhappy parents, demoralized teachers and out of control students. School is deteriorating under current leadership.

Posted April 3, 2013

I could not disagree more with the last review. The current principal is energetic, very approachable and involved in the daily academic and spiritual life of the students at the school. He is a breath of fresh air! St. Joseph s is a wonderful school that fosters a learning environment that is academically rigorous and Christ-centered. The teachers are very dedicated to ensuring that each child is supported, nurtured and academically challenged. My child has grown from her experiences at the school and is happy to go to school every day. I would highly recommend this school (and the current principal) to anyone looking for a faith-based, family oriented and academically strong school with a bright future.

Posted December 19, 2012

The school used to be a great school, I've heard. The school will decline under the current principal. He is a first year principal and he doesn't appear to have the skills to lead a quality institution. He has been inconsiderate to me and disrespectful to his staff. My child can even see this, which is a serious problem. I believe it is important for parents, teachers and students to respect and believe in the principal. Based on my experience with other schools, I don't think Mr. Jankowski will foster this sort of environment. Otherwise, this is a fine school, so I hope he improves soon.

Posted March 16, 2012

This is a fantastic school. The teachers are excellant and do a great job preparing students for high school

Posted July 6, 2011

I am a former st.Joesph's student. Most of the kids are great. I would not recommend this school to anyone though.

Posted February 25, 2009

it is the bset school and the teachers really know how to spread the word of God
—Submitted by a student

Posted July 5, 2007

I am a graduate student of St. Joseph's 8th grade class of 2007. I would like to say that St. Joe's is the best school I have ever attended!! The students and teachers are soo close-knit that we are basically one big family. The faculty is oustanding, there isn't one day when you'll see a frown on their faces. The teachers aren't like any other! They are passionate about their job and always give one-on-one attention. The principal is the best!! He has soo much enthusiasm and faith in the school and it's students that it has become contagious. The education is definitely A==(no lie), over HALF of the students in my 8th grade class on honors . AND WE ARE A CLASS OF 24!! We all got accepted into the Best Catholic high schools in MD. There isn't a day when you won't see a student walking w/ a smile!!!
—Submitted by a student

Posted May 7, 2007

I am a former student at St. Joe's. I had a great experience with friends and other students at the school. I believe the students are good people there; however, the faculty is inconsistent, and it is difficult to have a teacher you are familiar with and receive adequate help from them. There is much updating in the sports as well. There are not very many activities for the students to be involved in, such as sports (especially for the girls) and clubs. The academics barely prepared me for high school life, had I not done my own work. They do not expect the students to go ahead on their own in their studies. I hope this can change.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted March 17, 2007

I have been associated with St. Joseph's school for many years in one capacity or another. My child attended St. Joseph's from K-8 and graduated with honors. She is now a junior in high school and has been inducted into the National Honor Society. St. Joseph's School has excellent art and music programs. They present musical programs and perform plays. A sports program that is organized and coached by the parents and volunteers has produced championship teams. There is also a school band that has won 1st place honors. This year greater emphasis has been placed on science and technology programs, and after school Spanish classes were made available to those students interested. The strong hands-on leadership by the principal, the competent, dedicated and caring teachers, the excellent academic program, as well as the level of parent involvement, makes St. Joseph's an excellent school which I highly recommend.
—Submitted by a staff

Posted March 10, 2007

I am the parent of 3 children who currently attend St. Joseph's School. This is our 9th year affiliated with the school. While there have been ups and downs, I must say that our new principal is determined to make St. Joseph's a sought after well rounded school. His enthusiasm and caring attitude cannot be matched. Our teachers are well respected and have our kids' best interests in mind. Qualified students take Algebra in the 7th grade. Our current 8th graders have been accepted into some of the best private Catholic high schools in the area and some have received academic scholarships. St. Joseph's has an award winning band. St. Joseph's offers all children the opportunity to play sports all year: soccer, basketball, baseball and softball. This is a school on the rise!

Posted March 8, 2007

I have been a part of the St. Joseph's School community since 1987, all of my four children have attended or are still attending St. Joseph's. The current faculty and administration are incredibly talented and nurturing educators, in every aspect academically, spiritually, and socially. I am extremely pleased with the successes and innovations that have occurred over the 2007-2008 school year. In addition I would like to add that both my husband and I are grateful for the involvement of the pastor and priests with the administration and daily school activities.

Posted March 5, 2007

I am a parent and former graduate of St. Joseph's. My job has required me to visit many schools in the Washington D.C. area. I have yet to visit a school that surpasses the quality of St. Joseph's. The teacher student ratio is fantastic and the discipline is evident in the way the students conduct themselves during class and in the hallways. The teachers have been very responsive to any issues raised and my children have each been given the individual attention required. In addition, the physical infrastructure (i.e., computer room, library, cafeteria, music room, multi-purpose room, playground, etc.) is in very good condition. Finally, many of the school's graduates over the past years have done very well. A number have graduated at or near the top of their class and most appear to graduate from college. As for us older grads, many of us are doctors, lawyers, or successful entrepreneurs.

Posted March 4, 2007

I am the parent of not one, not two, but three students at St. JOseph's, and I couldn't disagree more with the previous message. I look at some of the schools around us and see the students around the pools and gaming areas we frequent and there is a noticeable difference just in attitude and respect between the kids at St. Joe's and some of the other schools. My kids get great feedback from their teachers. They are enjoying school, and even better, look forward to school each day. Can't say I was that way at their age. I didn't go to St. Joe's.

Posted January 3, 2007

As a community member and parent of a former St. Joes student, I would NOT recommend this school to anyone who is looking for a higher education for their child. The administration does not promote nor pay for staff to obtain higher education, thereby passing knowledge needed for the student to attend and pass high school level classes. The students are graduating ill prepared for the real world of tests, debates, papers or projects.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 14% 6%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Computer specialist(s)
ELL/ESL Coordinator
Math specialist(s)
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
Reading specialist(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school officials and community members.

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • Archdiocesan Honors Band (2007)
  • Archdiocesan Honors Band (2006)
  • Archdiocesan Arts Recognition (2007)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)

School start time
  • 7:50
School end time
  • 2:30
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school
  • NCEA

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Accelerated credit learning
  • Honors track
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• ELL/ESL Coordinator
  • Math specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
  • Reading specialist(s)
  • Library
  • Performance stage
  • Playground
  • Science lab
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Archdiocese of Washington

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Monitor the playground
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Tutor
  • Volunteer in the classroom
  • Volunteer time after school
  • We have an extensive parent volunteer program that seeks to engage parents as partners in their children's education. each parenting team contributes extensive hours in cafeteria, classroom, clubs, pre-school, afterschool and/or playground assistance.