Bethesda, MD

Posted June 02, 2014
Wonderful school for girls - very diverse in terms of interests, bkgrds, socio-economic status & race.

Posted March 05, 2014
I am a parent of two Holton students and I can honestly say that Holton has fostered young women of integrity, intellect, and purpose. They have gained the ability to navigate challenging material while keeping their enthusiasm for learning in tact. The student body is tremendously diverse and offers the richness of being among the best of the diverse communities in this area. Girls learn to respect themselves in the process too. This is a community that is sensitive to the wellness of each child. This approach is an important part of what makes Holton such a special place. I believe that our daughters have gained a great advantage in life to have been taught not only the excellent academics, but also the life skills needed to succeed in their future careers as leaders of the next generation.

Posted January 29, 2014
I am a lower schooler at Holton. I started last year and I really love my school! We have the best teachers ever, and I really like Mr. Bane too. He is the head of our school. In science we have a technology class that is really cool. We learn about all different cultures and create amazing stories. We always try to make sure we include all the students and look out for the kids who are having a hard time. It is important to be a good citizen of our school, and think about others around us. We are part of a bigger community and I love it! Holton is the best!

Posted December 01, 2013
Holton-Arms is amazing. I am a student, in 8th grade. The teachers are extremely nice and helpful, and contrary to a post before, most teachers stay at school until five or six o'clock so it is easy to make an appointment with them. To the October 6th review: Every teacher has an assignment document on the course page where all of the assignments for the month are posted. Onenote is better in my opinion because it is accessed on your computer and doesn't need WiFi to work. We use Google Drive for projects so Holton does use browser-based applications. -- The middle school director is very open to suggestions. The teachers are amazing and always willing to stay after school to help you. Global Ed is amazing with opportunities in Belize and New Orleans. In response to the homework load: It is really not that much for me. Sure, you can spend a lot of time on it if you have to study for quizzes and work on projects. The teachers tell us that if it's taking you 30 minutes or more, than you should talk to them and work out a plan. Overall, Holton is an amazing school for me.

Holton-Arms School 1

Posted November 15, 2013
I compared this school with Spark Matsunaga Elementary school, MD in Germantown and Gibbs Elementary school in Germantown, MD and a few other elementary schools in the area. The students from these schools are much more competitive and advance academically and in sports as they have to compete with more number of students and more diverse students. Parents are more involved in kids development. The public school of Montgomery county have far better resources than this school. Only rich people send their kids to satisfy their ego. Spending money in this school is not worth it. I would suggest to take benefit of resource rich Montgomery County Public Schools to make your kids better humans instead of making race horses.

Posted October 06, 2013
Disappointing. The Middle School fails to provide much of the infrastructure and support that public schools have long mastered. Students are required to carry one set of books back and forth between home and school, while all local schools have solved this problem by providing multiple sets of books for students. The website does not provide a way for teachers to provide immediate feedback on tests, quizzes, and homework assignments nor does it provide a daily report on what assignments are due. Students are required to purchase individual laptops that are very expensive compared to most commercial options and use out of date applications such as onenote frequently when browser based applications are available everywhere. So when your daughter has an expensive laptop that frequently crashes or forgets to bring home a textbook in her 20 pound backpack full of materials, a meltdown is created. Public schools have long resolved these issues but Holton is far behind the times.

Posted September 24, 2013
It is a very difficult school for an above average student from an upper middle class income. The majority of the teachers leave before 4pm so parent/teacher interaction requires taking time off work. The school requires a commitment to a daily commute. Students from wealthier backgrounds fit in because of their socio economic status. Low income students are generally scholarship recipients and can fall back on their academic status. But for a student whose parents earn a modest income, going to expensive parties in wealthy surroundings, adjusting to the academic workload, and the demands of the commute is too much. In public school the surrounding parents were much friendlier, everyone was close by, the parties were less assuming, and the academic workload was more manageable. Everyone wants their child to have the best education possible, and I believe that my child would have received a better overall experience at public school.

Posted June 04, 2013
The Feb 2013 parent is dead wrong in my view. Clique-ishness at Holton is at an all-time high. The diversity committee recently had to call a special meeting of African American parents because of a low diversity rating and racist comments made about some of the black students. Holton is more interested in cranking out Ivy Leaguers than in developing individuality, character, and integrity.

Posted February 22, 2013
couldn't disagree more wih the Jan 23, 2013 parent. My daughter has been at Holton since 3rd grade and I have nothing but positive things to say about the school, the girls and the parents. My daughter is cerebral and a high performer. She has found like-minded friends and i have found all the girls get along, whether they are sporty or nerdy. There is something for everyone at the school. I have found the girls at NCS to be more like what she is describing.

Posted February 24, 2012
The lower school is beyond amazing, with a fabulous director- makes me want to go back to school. Middle school is full of teachers who LIKE teaching those ages, and is a really good transition place- director has a great understanding of the needs of the whole child, and the girls are really prepared for the full-on intensity of upper school. Upper school is great if your girl is ready for it: it is staggering what these girls do- academics, sports, arts. Lots of opportunities, lots of support. Btw- the comment about the 'eery' quiet of the MS & US- it is very Montessori-like.If you go, ask about the 'gift of time', take a peek at the Senior & Junior lounges, look at the girls working in 1s and 2s in the halls. It is purposeful in a happy way. Mine LOVE that there are no harsh bells between classes! The vast majority of Holton girls are amazingly kind and welcoming to the new girls; the snobbish minority is very small, and tmost of the girls look down on it. The diversity of the student body is the best I've ever seen, and they are very well integrated (students more tnan the parents). No school is right for everyone, but this community really tries to work together for the kids.

Holton-Arms School