No rating

Stone Ridge School Of The Sacred Heart

Private | PK-12 | 661 students

Living in Bethesda

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $610,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,650.

Posted June 13, 2014

I graduated from Stone Ridge three years ago. Many people accuse the school of being a breeding ground for clique culture. I won't argue, but I will say that I think that is more a function of the elitist D.C. area private school mindset than of gator girls themselves. In fact, I was very impressed during my time at SR at the potential for every girl, regardless of her background or interests, to be very popular and well-liked. Loving to learn or being a member of the chess club does not make you a loser at Stone Ridge. It was refreshing for me to see that passion for academics and extracurriculars were seen as cool! Additionally, I feel that the single sex environment allowed us to realize our full potential for leadership and academic achievement. Academically, Stone Ridge is top notch; the education that I received there has made college a breeze, intellectually speaking. However, the size of the school, while great for fostering an environment of intimacy, can be rather limiting in terms of academic options - the courses offered are not very varied or exciting. Still, I am glad to have attended such a challenging and rewarding institution, and proud to call myself a gator girl.

Posted March 2, 2014

Stone Ridge has been an excellent school for our family. Our daughter started at the school this year and our experience is exceeding our expectations. No school is perfect and there are many reasons for good vs. poor experiences at any school, but we have found Stone Ridge to be academically rigorous and challenging without being a pressure cooker. So far the teachers have been top notch. The school and its families are welcoming, supportive and highly diverse. We have not seen any evidence of strong cliques...certainly no more than we have seen in any other private or public school. In fact, any sign of a clique mentality is overtly frowned upon and actively discouraged in my daughter's class. Even the parents who are clearly very wealthy are super down to earth and roll up their sleeves without hesitation. The school may not be for everyone, but it is a wonderful place for highly motivated, community-oriented students and their families. My daughter was accepted to a number of highly competitive schools and we are very happy that we placed her in Stone Ridge.

Posted January 2, 2014

To address the girls talking about clique issues... I was honestly very surprised. Maybe things have changed from when I graduated, but my class got along phenomenally well for high school girls. (at least that is what I perceived). At college, my new friends would joke that all girls schools are full of drama, and I was quick to correct them, telling them how it wasn't like that at Stone Ridge. It's almost as if the academics are so challenging you had no choice but to be supportive and kind to each other if you wanted to get through it. (Academically, your daughters will thank you when they get to college, trust me.) Yes, girls had their groups of friends, but overall everyone got along. No bullying, exclusion, any of that. We were taught better than that at Stone Ridge.

Posted December 29, 2013

We are former parents of three Stone Ridge graduates. They are lifers, which means that they were at Stone Ridge from Kindergarden to graduation. They went on to excellent colleges and graduate schools. They are successful, well adjusted, great moms and wives, excellent in their professions; involved in community service; they are happy and loving. I believe that part of their success is due to the education that they received at Stone Ridge. I love the school and continue to recommend it highly to prospective students and their families.

Posted December 17, 2013

I think it's very telling that most of the negative reviews here are from former students. As a former student myself, there are definite pros and cons. Educationally, SR is phenomenal. I've never known a graduate who struggled academically in college. The commitment to community service is still with me. Some of my best friends even now are classmates. But this is largely because we formed that intense bond that stems from a shared trauma. Socially... middle school is miserable no matter where you are, but the girls there are nothing short of magnificent in terms of psychological torture. Given that the coping mechanisms employed when I was there were pills, liquor, and bulimia, it seems only a matter of time until major tragedy. The guidelines are there for this to be an amazing place, which is why the reality is so disappointing. If the focus was placed on compassion and kindness rather than kilt length and competition, maybe things would be different. Having said that, my being the strong and successful woman I am today has a lot to do with my education (and rebellion) from SR. I'm just not sure "what doesn't kill you makes you stronger" is a great educational philosophy.

Posted July 29, 2013

A few notes to add Our experience has been wonderful! Our daughter transferred from public school and loves SR. We ve found it to be a very nurturing, caring and welcoming environment that s academically challenging (but not extreme), religious based emphasizing values, with a focus on social awareness and action. The sense of community in our class, and I d say the school as a whole, is quite healthy. Parental involvement is very strong; enjoyable and probably expected, enriching but not overburdening. We re very impressed with the administration. SR apparently had a bumpy ride for a while years ago, but that seems to have long since passed. Some reviews address the issue of cliques. My take on it: you ll find it everywhere in life. We have not encountered that at SR, but high school will soon be upon us and it s possible we will. Personally, I grew up on the lower end of the socioeconomic scale in a decidedly blue-collar environment that was full of cliques, snobbery and elitism. While there is a wide variety of financial means among families at Stone Ridge, we ve always felt and been included, and we ve never experienced the classism I grew up with. Come see for yourself!

Posted August 10, 2012

Stone Ridge School of the Sacred Heart has provided our daughter with an excellent academic and extra-curricular environment to learn and grow. The curriculum is excellent. We were very happy with our son's high school but find that Stone Ridge has a curriculum that allows the students to drill deeper into each subject. The student:teacher ratio is great. The faculty are engaged and really care about their students. They encourage each student to do their best. Stone Ridge provided an opportunity for our daughter to play a varsity sports and assume a leadership role in student government. Our daughter has a wonderful circle of friends who are supportive, hardworking and focused young ladies. We have every confidence that our daughter will be ready to go to any college of her choosing at the end of the four years. Most importantly, Stone Ridge has reinforced our family values through the school environment, value for leadership and community service.

Posted July 31, 2011

Please save your daughter and do not send her here. I am a recent graduate of this school and I can say I have had the worst experience I could imagine. The girls were awful. Very cliquey and exclusive. There is alot of bullying going on throughout the upper school. Other alumnae from over the years that I have run into actually agree with my opinion. I know many girls who left over the years as well. I was too afraid to transfer because freshman year was so terrible, I thought it would happen all over again somewhere else. The academics cant be beat, some professors do need to be fired, however. The community involvement is also fantastic. However, the arts and theatre programs are in dire need to be revamped. There is no legit theatre. The sports also need to be improved as well. I hated this school and I am not alone. The price for the school does not make up for the actual school. I am still reeling from the awful social tension and exclusion as well as poor administrative guidance.

Posted May 14, 2011

I'm going to be graduating from Stone Ridge this year and have been attending the school since I was a freshmen. I can honestly say that Stone Ridge has been a miserable experience. The administration is useless, focusing more on the new brand theme (which is aweful) than actually focusing on student needs. The academics are strong, but the athletics, drama, arts, and any other extracurricular activities are weak. The best thing I can say about Stone Ridge is the Social Action community service program. It provides a good opportunity for girls to be involved and volunteer in the greater community. The tuition at Stone Ridge is outrageous for what the students receive. Too many girls are on finacial aid, which is why the school can't afford anything. The girls are immature and can't grow out of the cliques they've been in since middle school. Stone Ridge isn't going to last much longer.

Posted October 13, 2010

My daughter, Michelle Wiss, is agraduate of Stone Ridge, and is the successful, enlightened woman she is because of the Sacred Heart philosophy of "educating the whole child".

Posted August 16, 2010

I attended Stone Ridge starting in 7th grade, until I left the school halfway through 11th grade. Coming from a DC Public Elementary, I needed a more structured academic environment, as well as higher standards. Stone Ridge did provide these things, but at a serious cost. From the onset, I was constantly bullied for not listening to the same music, having different taste in clothing and accessories, and for being an individual. The school did ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to fix the clique problem, and I have other friends who left for the same reasons. The extracurricular activities are seriously lacking, and there isn't any support of individuality. I would NEVER send my daughter there, and have strongly cautioned people against it. The experience I had at the DC Public high school that I transferred to was so much better than 4.5 years at SR.

Posted May 31, 2010

Great school, My daughter loves it here I think this is the best independent school in DC area, both catholic or non.

Posted April 26, 2010

I am not satisfied with this school. I expected different things to be higher than others. The girls were very clique (more than other school's I've attented), and very exclusive. This is partially due to the girls coming in from middle school into the high school. While the academics are good they can be rigorous and I feel I dont have enough time to do other things outside of school which I enjoy and have a passion for. I am excited to finally graduate and leave the school. I wish my experience there was more pleasant but I regret to say that it was definatly subpar. If I could do it again I would apply and go elsewhere.
—Submitted by a student

Posted October 2, 2009

SIX-R S: Stone Ridge provides the 6-R's (Readin', 'Ritin', 'Rithmatic, Respect, Religion, Reality)... forgive the colloquial liberties. My daughter has been almost 10 years at SR and our experience has been nine stars out of ten.

Posted September 19, 2009

This year marks my daughters four year at Stone Ridge and there has never been a day she wakes up and doesn't want to go to school. The summer break is too long. She has good friends, teachers, and faculty. I believe a child's attitude towards her school is on of the best indicators of a school done right.

Posted July 24, 2009

Both of my daugters graduated from SR, having started in the lower school. Our family is African American and we have had a wonderful experiece. My daughters have been nurtured and encouraged to be who they are in all facets of their life. The school has increasing put an emphasis on diversity, which has been great for the entire community. My daughters have received a top-notch education, spiritual development and are confident, well-spoken, and courageous young ladies, ready to take on the world. I could not be happier or prouder. J McGlockton

Posted March 25, 2009

I am a minority student of a lower socio-economic background that attended Stone Ridge for high school. Stone Ridge is a phenomenal school. It encourages young women to think independently and to develop leadership skills that benefit both themselves and the broader community. Additionally, it provides fantastic aid packages to students who cannot afford to attend otherwise. During my time at Stone Ridge, I was encouraged to take an active role in my classes, to think creatively and 'outside the box,' and to challenge myself by taking upper level courses that have prepared me for a rigorous undergraduate program. My class was particularly close; we did not have any of the stereotypical 'cliquey' problems associated with private schools. Stone Ridge works to shape the entire person - not only educating us in the academic sense but also encouraging us to take an active role in society. I highly recommend it.
—Submitted by a student

Posted March 14, 2009

The best way to find out about stone ridge is not by talking to the current students, but by talking to the girls who transferred out of stone ridge. fine for lower grades but high school has a very low success rate.

Posted January 21, 2009

Please look at the overall student retention rate prior to enrolling your daughter in this school. There has to be a reason why so many students leave the school especially minority students. It absolutely has nothing to do with academics. This advice is for minorty parents considering enrolling your daughters in this school. If your child is quiet and submissive, she will do fine at Stone Ridge however if your child is bright, vocal and condident, she may become discouraged. There is obvious disparity at this school. Those families who contribute financially will do especially well at this school...those who don't...beware!

Posted December 3, 2008

We transferred our two daughters to Stone Ridge this year, entering 2nd and 5th grades, and we couldn't be happier. They are being challenged academically, but are able to keep up and are not overwhelmed. They are both doing well socially as well -- they love going to school! We are not Catholic and we have not had any concerns with the religious aspects of the education either. The teachers and administation are top notch as are the facilities. I highly recommend this school.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 8% 6%

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• All girls
Affiliation
  • Roman catholic
Associations
  • NAIS
  • NCEA

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer lab
  • Library
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Archdiocese of Washington