No rating

Feynman School

Private | PK-3 | 45 students

early gifted and talented education featuring hands-on science and the arts

Living in Bethesda

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $729,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,550.

Posted May 7, 2014

Absolutely fabulous dedication to a very specific mission. If you have a student who is not being served well where they are this is a school worth checking out.

Posted May 7, 2014

*** After reading the negative review below I simply had to chime in. It is true that Feynman School is a startup that is renting space from a church, but it is an amazing school that puts the needs of these bright and curious children first. They do better than having formal classes for Art and Technology. They regularly bring in local experts and spur on the children's curiosity in everything as they study these topics in conjunction with their daily work. In the time that my children have been at this school I have seen a doctor come in to help with the anatomy lessons and art history experts come in to teach art. They have had field trips, music lessons, and drama taught by staff from the Imagination Stage. These are just a few of many opportunities my children have had. They also participate in chess class at the school as well as a basketball program and a robotics program. At any school you may find a disgruntled parent for any number of reasons, but if you are considering Feynman School for your exceptional student please schedule a visit and ask to speak to the rest of the Feynman parents, we would be glad to tell you PLENTY of "success stories"!

Posted March 16, 2014

This was my daughter's first year at this school and I was blown away by her growth, both academically and socially. The depth at which they teach these kids on various subject matters is truly impressive. What I can appreciate, as a parent, is that if my child is more advanced on a specific skill, they will allow her to jump forward and adjust the subject matter to her skill level instead of making her go through the same exercise as the other kids because it's part of the curriculum. The cost of the school gave me pause initially (as did all the private schools we visited since I grew up in the public school system) but the fact that I see motivated and eager teachers, committed leadership with a specific vision geared towards challenging young minds, and the steady improvement of critical thinking in my child, it makes it all worth it and then some. My hope is that my daughter's love of learning, that is abundantly cultivated here at Feynman, persists throughout her lifetime.

Posted August 14, 2013

My son started at Feynman in K, and he has leapfrogged ahead in terms of his academics and confidence. This is a school for gifted kids (so all the kids are advanced), but we found that our son really opened up and became more confident in expressing his opinions and contributing to the classroom during the past year. We were also impressed with the way his teachers worked with him one-on-one in reading when he first started the year. I think he must have jumped two grade levels in reading during the first four months of school due to this attention. The school brings in scientists, takes field trips, and does science experiments every day and our son loves this real-world, hands-on aspect. There is a focus on the why and the how, versus just the what, at Feynman, and this seems like the appropriate approach to take with gifted learners. My sense is that our son has become more used to asking his own questions and seeking his own answers through investigation and independent thought since he has joined the school. For us, this is what it is all about. Needless to say, we would recommend the school to any curious child who loves to learn.

Posted August 8, 2013

Feynman School is a real find. It is small but special a phrase my daughter is telling me I should use for this review (she is standing by my side, excited to share feedback that should tell you something). Indeed, the best thing this school has done for us is sustain her excitement for learning and experimenting with new stuff. She is now much happier than she was at her previous school (where she was bored), and never complains Monday mornings. Feynman School provides a focused, intimate, fun and challenging learning environment. The teacher-student ratio is far and away better than any other place we have considered. The teachers are wonderful, the Spanish, music and theater in the curriculum is very stimulating, and school is lining up aftercare activities that are quite interesting. The school may not have the fancy infrastructure of other private schools (separate art rooms or computer rooms, large gyms), but it offers what is important: a great teacher-student ratio, devoted and innovative teaching, a focus on creativity, high academic standards, and character building, and a diverse group of peers. (Many students have parents from other countries.) I highly recommend it.

Posted July 17, 2013

My child really enjoyed this school. They attended other schools prior to the Feynman School and were bored and not happy. I really enjoyed that the school included music, drama and Spanish and am looking forward to their growth in P.E. and technology. This school is a new school, so not every detail is ironed out yet, but the school was a good fit for my child. Personally, the price is high, but all private schools in the area are :O)

Posted June 20, 2012

The best decision we ever made! Our daughter is an advanced learner - she started reading when she was 2. We couldn't find a preschool that could accommodate or nurture her skills until we came across The Feynman School. We were somewhat hesitant because the school is about an hour away, but it was the best decision we've ever made. Thanks to the wonderfully dedicated teachers, she has shown more growth in the past 2 years than we could have ever imagined. She has gained a love of reading, science, and the arts among other great things. Feynman has made learning fun for her and has created a thirst for knowledge that she carries in everything she does. She never wants to leave when we pick her up at the end of the day. The parents are great, the teachers are great .Feynman truly is a Great School.

Posted June 6, 2012

I have seen this school in action! The students are encouraged to excel and given the proper direction they do excel beyond what I could imagine. Give this school a look and be amazed.

Posted June 5, 2012

We were challanged with finding a daycare or school for our 3 years old. She knew the alphabet at the age of 2, put 50-100 piece puzzles together quicker than us, played piano and chess with the old kids - and she was bored in any daycare we took her. Then we found the Feynman School and we LOVE it. My daughter is the youngest in the school, came to the school barely speaking any English. By the end of the school year her English is just as good as her classmates (mostly 5-6 years olds), she started reading & writing already, adds, deducts, multiplies, devideds numbers, knows a lot of science (Earth's water cycle, just to mention one), grew socially, emotionally. The teachers are exceptional, there is no limit on what a kid can learn. One can say that the initial evaluation is unusual at this very early age, but it benefits the child - the best are offered a place; and they can go all the way. I recommend this school without reservations - call them, talk to the director or the teachers. We did and this was the best decision we made benefiting our daughter's intellectual needs.

Posted June 5, 2012

Five stars no question. I thought about writing about the phenomenal science based curriculum, or the drama program, or talking about how much Spanish my son knows or how sure of himself he is. I thought about raving about the AMAZING teachers and their complete dedication to the mission of the school. ---- But I decided simply to say this school is SO AWESOME and SO PERFECT in the execution of its goal that we have been commuting over an hour each way to get there. It continues to be the ONLY option of its level and we ARE MOVING simply to keep our children in this school. I mean, do I really have to say more than that?!?!?!

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Gifted specialist(s)
Math specialist(s)
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
  • None - the school offers no services
  • Differentiated learning programs

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Science

• Acceleration
  • Gifted specialist(s)

School start time
  • 8:45 am
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 7:30 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 6:00 p.m.
  • Susan Gold
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • 3 years old
  • Coed
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?
Fax number

• Mentoring
Transportation options
  • Internet access
  • Playground
Partnerships with local resources and organizations

Sports

• Drama
  • Poetry
Media arts

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)

Photos

School culture

Dress Code
  • Neither uniforms nor dress code
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Volunteer in the classroom
  • Volunteer time after school

This school accepts applications on a

rolling basis