Bethesda-Chevy Chase High School

Public | 9-12

Posted November 13, 2013

B-CC's student population increases every year, and it is quite over crowded (I believe approaching 2000 students soon). Students can fall through the cracks. The crowding also makes it very competitive to get on varsity sports teams, student leadership positions, drama and music opportunities, etc. There are some great teachers, and the diversity of the student body is nice. But teachers and counselors generally have too big a load to give personal attention to the students that are not aggressive. My son simply can't learn Spanish conversation in a class of 31 students, for example. I think the size does help reduce bullying -- it is certainly easy to get "lost in the crowd" and escape unwanted attention. Great school for self motivated go-getters with strong executive functioning skills. Other kids might be a bit lost.

Posted July 27, 2011

I hate the school so much. i went there for 10th grade and knew most of the kids from elementary school and 7th grade, so i thought i could reconnect with them. when i got there no one talked to me and a week there i got mean comments. there was one kid who didnt like me from elementary school and that kid got the rest of the school to hate me too. no one thinks for their self. they just stalk your facebook and say the meanest comments. i only had some friends in 9th grade. my whole grade didnt like me. some kids i didnt even know would say bad things about me. they are the rudest meanest fakest most obnoxious kids. they even look mean. dont listen to any other good things about this school. nothing good about the kids at all. the only good thing about the school are the teachers. the teachers were actually pretty good. i went to wj in 9th grade and the kids had more of their own mind there. do not go to bcc...(Bullying Children Clusters)=BCC

Posted April 15, 2011

I am a parent of a current Senior and Freshman. B-CC is a wonderful option -- I have found the great majority of teachers engaged and excellent. I have also found the administration to be concerned about the kids and very engaged with them. There are a wide variety of classes available. There are many extracurricular opportunities. I am a working mother and I am ever grateful for the cadre of dedicated parents who provide a high level of support to the music, academic, and sports programs. There is no perfect school and I am highly concerned about the effects of continuing budget cuts on class size, teacher quality and the extracurricular programs, but I value BCC for its academic standards, diversity, and size which give students the space to be themselves. And the kids have a great situation going to school in a recently renovated beautiful building right in downtown Bethesda. There is pressure to succeed and do well, but I'd rather have high expectations than low ones.

Posted April 14, 2011

I have to counter the view that B-CC High School is full of obnoxious students and bullies. I admit that when we enrolled our daughter this year, after years of private schooling, I was a little trepidatious. I even went so far as to look at private high schools before the year started. But after seeing the commitment of the parents and the excellence of the teaching staff, her very committed guidance counselor, the involvement of the 9th grade principal and the options she has for extracurricular activities and school bonding, we elected to keep her at B-CC. I am so very glad we did - she is exceptionally happy and we couldn't be more pleased.

Posted April 14, 2011

My sons have had a largely positive experience at B-CC. Nice, diverse population, great friends, and mostly excellent, caring teachers. We love the urban vibe and the fact that they can walk to downtown Bethesda for lunch. Overall, it was a good choice for us

Posted April 14, 2011

We have had a fabulous experience at BCC. My son comes home excited by his classes and motivated to learn. I've found his teachers responsive and caring. He has an outstanding group of friends and I find most of the parents intelligent, down to earth and engaged in the school. I feel he is getting a first rate education in an exciting, diverse environment. Yes, there is pressure to succeed (hello, this is Bethesda), but I don't feel it overwhelms the school.

Posted April 10, 2011

I completely agree and must add that I have never encountered more obnoxious stuedents and parents. I know that every school has their "issues" with bullying, but BCC seems to have much more, and when addressed to parents - - they turn the other cheek. It's no wonder their children are bullies. I am sure they are missing the attention from home as their parents are more concerned with their social status. As a parent, I need a complete balance; a school that cares for my son as an individual and dedicates themselves to helping him succeed in the future and not concerned only with their TEST SCORES, which seems to be the case in all of the Bethesda public schools. I rather move than keep our son there.

Posted November 17, 2009

Alot of the teachers are just pushing to get work done and dont actually spend time in teaching their subjects. This school is all about pressure and making their students cookie cutter perfect applicants without actually letting them enjoy themselves in the process.

Posted September 20, 2009

The teachers are smart and engaging and the college career center is extremely helpful. The academics are superb, with a full range of AP and IB courses.

Posted April 11, 2009

I am a freshman at BCC and I absolutely love it! The building, the students, the staff... all are great. The teachers especially are very dedicated to their students and make an effort to make learning fun and social rather than just textbook learning. The IB, ATMS, and AP classes are all excellent and the counselors encourage the students to take more challenging courses and achieve greater heights at BCC. The wide variety of extra curricular activities also make it possible for every student to find their niche. Go Barons!

Posted December 8, 2007

I was a foreign exchange student and went to Bethesda-Chevy Chase High School. It is such a very nice and welcoming school. The students and teachers are very nice and supportive. The building and facilities are quite awesome! I love B-CC! Go Barons!

Posted December 7, 2005

I am not a parent, I am a current freshman, but I love BCC. It is a wonderful school, complete with the IB program and a full array of AP classes. Its in a great location and the brand new building is great. I know I am going to get the best education there.

Posted February 17, 2005

BCC is a great school in many ways. It offers a diverse student population both financially and socially. It has a broad array of courses for its relatively small size for a public high school of 1,600 students. It offers an IB Program that last year issued IB Diplomas to all its candidates. It sent graduates to a strong distribution of national universities and colleges, many in the Top 25 (U.S. News). My older son graduated last year and now attends UVA in its engineering program. He had excellent math and science teachers and received a well rounded education with strong English and Foreign Language experiences also. My younger son is a Freshman and is enjoying his experience with an enthusiastic group of teachers.

Posted February 23, 2004

A devoted and talented teaching staff, strong leadership from an incredible principal, many activities for ALL types of kids, from sports to drama to art to clubs. Excellent parent involvement. Located in downtown Bethesda, providing the students with an urban/suburban campus. Rigorous course work, featuring a full IB program.

Posted June 21, 2003

it is such a great school! the teachers are awesome and the environment is great. and it's also in a really nice area. the building is beautiful. Go Barons!

Grade level

Algebra

The state average for Algebra was 84% in 2013.

417 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology

The state average for Biology was 83% in 2013.

447 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English II

The state average for English II was 83% in 2013.

463 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Maryland used the Maryland High School Assessments (HSA) to test students in English 2, Algebra, and Biology upon completion of each course. The HSA is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Maryland. Students are required to pass the tests in order to graduate. The goal is for all students to pass the tests.

Source: Maryland State Department of Education

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 6% 6%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 10%N/A42%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
School social worker/counselors(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

Staff resources available to students

• Latin
  • Spanish

Staff resources available to students
  • Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
Transportation options

• Improv
Media arts
  • Computer animation
needs to be verified by school leaders.

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

4301 Eastwest Hwy