Bethesda, MD
Students enrolled: 1,828

Bethesda-Chevy Chase High School
Develops honesty: Strongly agree

Posted June 16, 2015
Amazing well rounded student body! Helpful faculty that genuinely want kids to succeed! Go barons!

Posted June 16, 2015
Best time of my life! Amazing inspiring teachers and supportive peers. Here I found my passion for psychology thanks to the AP courses. Proud alumni!

Posted January 06, 2015
Of course parents think the school is great because they don't even know what goes on! There's so much pressure at the school, it results in most of them getting high or drunk every weekend. I lost a lot of friends due to that, but I didn't start out with a lot of friends either because you aren't really "socially accepted" unless you are rich or have connections. A lot of bullying goes on at the school and I don't think people really realize it that much. No one says anything because they are too afraid of what the other people might think. That's how bad it is. I'm so glad I don't go there anymore.

Bethesda-Chevy Chase High School 3

Posted November 13, 2013
B-CC's student population increases every year, and it is quite over crowded (I believe approaching 2000 students soon). Students can fall through the cracks. The crowding also makes it very competitive to get on varsity sports teams, student leadership positions, drama and music opportunities, etc. There are some great teachers, and the diversity of the student body is nice. But teachers and counselors generally have too big a load to give personal attention to the students that are not aggressive. My son simply can't learn Spanish conversation in a class of 31 students, for example. I think the size does help reduce bullying -- it is certainly easy to get "lost in the crowd" and escape unwanted attention. Great school for self motivated go-getters with strong executive functioning skills. Other kids might be a bit lost.

Posted July 27, 2011
I hate the school so much. i went there for 10th grade and knew most of the kids from elementary school and 7th grade, so i thought i could reconnect with them. when i got there no one talked to me and a week there i got mean comments. there was one kid who didnt like me from elementary school and that kid got the rest of the school to hate me too. no one thinks for their self. they just stalk your facebook and say the meanest comments. i only had some friends in 9th grade. my whole grade didnt like me. some kids i didnt even know would say bad things about me. they are the rudest meanest fakest most obnoxious kids. they even look mean. dont listen to any other good things about this school. nothing good about the kids at all. the only good thing about the school are the teachers. the teachers were actually pretty good. i went to wj in 9th grade and the kids had more of their own mind there. do not go to bcc...(Bullying Children Clusters)=BCC

Posted April 15, 2011
I am a parent of a current Senior and Freshman. B-CC is a wonderful option -- I have found the great majority of teachers engaged and excellent. I have also found the administration to be concerned about the kids and very engaged with them. There are a wide variety of classes available. There are many extracurricular opportunities. I am a working mother and I am ever grateful for the cadre of dedicated parents who provide a high level of support to the music, academic, and sports programs. There is no perfect school and I am highly concerned about the effects of continuing budget cuts on class size, teacher quality and the extracurricular programs, but I value BCC for its academic standards, diversity, and size which give students the space to be themselves. And the kids have a great situation going to school in a recently renovated beautiful building right in downtown Bethesda. There is pressure to succeed and do well, but I'd rather have high expectations than low ones.

Posted April 14, 2011
I have to counter the view that B-CC High School is full of obnoxious students and bullies. I admit that when we enrolled our daughter this year, after years of private schooling, I was a little trepidatious. I even went so far as to look at private high schools before the year started. But after seeing the commitment of the parents and the excellence of the teaching staff, her very committed guidance counselor, the involvement of the 9th grade principal and the options she has for extracurricular activities and school bonding, we elected to keep her at B-CC. I am so very glad we did - she is exceptionally happy and we couldn't be more pleased.

Posted April 14, 2011
My sons have had a largely positive experience at B-CC. Nice, diverse population, great friends, and mostly excellent, caring teachers. We love the urban vibe and the fact that they can walk to downtown Bethesda for lunch. Overall, it was a good choice for us

Posted April 14, 2011
We have had a fabulous experience at BCC. My son comes home excited by his classes and motivated to learn. I've found his teachers responsive and caring. He has an outstanding group of friends and I find most of the parents intelligent, down to earth and engaged in the school. I feel he is getting a first rate education in an exciting, diverse environment. Yes, there is pressure to succeed (hello, this is Bethesda), but I don't feel it overwhelms the school.

Posted April 10, 2011
I completely agree and must add that I have never encountered more obnoxious stuedents and parents. I know that every school has their "issues" with bullying, but BCC seems to have much more, and when addressed to parents - - they turn the other cheek. It's no wonder their children are bullies. I am sure they are missing the attention from home as their parents are more concerned with their social status. As a parent, I need a complete balance; a school that cares for my son as an individual and dedicates themselves to helping him succeed in the future and not concerned only with their TEST SCORES, which seems to be the case in all of the Bethesda public schools. I rather move than keep our son there.

Bethesda-Chevy Chase High School
4301 Eastwest Hwy, Bethesda, MD  20814
Last modified Bethesda-Chevy Chase High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Bethesda-Chevy Chase High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 28 reviews. Top