Wyngate Elementary School

Public | K-5

Posted January 28, 2014

I do really like this school. We have moved many times due to my husband's career. Across the board I am pleased and have been the past three years. I have four children. I have had a total of eight different main teachers, plus various others for math and science, etc. I have to say that I have liked every teacher I have had. That is a very tall order, and I do think the principal, Mrs. Leister makes it a bottom line. You have to be a good teacher to stay on there, and you have to care about the kids. There will always be issues with schools - they have your children, we as parents are very emotionally invested. I have been very happy in most instances with how issues are handled. There are some areas that I think could be improved but the main ones -teachers- I think get outstanding marks. I trust them to meet the needs of all of my children, and they are all different learners.

Posted April 26, 2012

This school is wonderful. The principal is legendary and the education my children have received can't be beat. The teachers are dedicated and hardworking and there are fun and education programs sponsored by the PTA (Opera Week and Kids Night Out to name two). All in all an excellent school.

Posted August 4, 2011

I have 2 kids a the school and have pretty happy. The teachers are GREAT. I like the team teaching approach that gets the teachers in the same grade level working together. The teaching are a nice mix of skilled veterans and talented young new teachers. There are two things that stop this school from getting 5 stars from me. One is that parents really aren't welcome. If you aren't the room parent, the principle doesn't want you in the building. This is directly related to the second problem. The principle doesn't want you in in the building because it is VERY crowded. She keeps a tight reign on things to manage a school that is over 150% capacity. There are 15 'temporary trailers' out back that will be replaced by a new wing being built in 2012/2013. Hopefully I can upgrade to a 5 out of 5 when the new wing is finished.

Posted October 27, 2010

This is only a great school is your child is on the "above grade level" track. The principal does not support special education or value children with learning disabilities. This is not the place for a child that learns differently or at their own pace.

Posted January 19, 2010

My daughter is in the first grade. I am very impressed by their program. The children are tested and put into reading and math groups according to their level. The first grade teachers work together and mix the students so that they are taught at the appropriate level. A reading specialist also pulls students so that class sizes are smaller for reading. My daughter works with a separate reading, math, and general teacher . They are all fantastic. However, parental involvement in your child's classroom in not permitted (other than at parties). This is a huge disappointment for me. I am not able to see what goes on during her day but I know that she is doing great as she reads very well and is already doing three digit addition with regrouping (in January). Overall, it provides a great education, just not many opportunities for parental involvement.

Posted October 29, 2008

My daughter is in her third year in the school (2nd grade) and we love Wyngate Elementary. We started with a serious challenge - our girl suffered from selective mutism which leads to very high anxiety in new surroundings. Fortunately the school counselor, Nancy Elbin, helped my wife and I get through this difficult situation by helping us find resources and connecting us to fellow parents of SM children. Today our daughter is doing very well and has a great group of friends. Kudos to the Principle, Barbara Leister, who does a magnificent job managing the school and a awesome group of teachers. The final element is the families that share this school. It is a diverse neighborhood but a common denominator a strong focus on raising good kids and getting engaged in the PTA and school activities.

Posted January 27, 2006

It has been a wonderful 5 years at Wyngate. From the principal down to the teachers in the classroom, everyone is looking out for the best interest of the child. I had three very different children, and they were handled very differently. I bought my home in this neighborhood entirely because of the results Wyngate had on test scores at the time. I know test scores are not everything, but these teachers are teaching.

Posted October 21, 2004

We moved to this neighborhood because we heard so many nice things about Wyngate (and we didn't even have kids then). The teachers are fantastic and we have never been disappointed. Both of my daughters have attended Wyngate (my youngest is still there and my oldest is in 7th grade). Like another person who wrote a review, my 7th grader likes to go back and visit teachers there whenever she has a chance. Ms. Leister does run a tight ship, but it runs smoothly -- always -- so it must be working. Plus, the school truly welcomes parent participation. It you want to get involved there are many ways you can do it and if you don't, then there are no hard feelings. I can't say enough about Wyngate -- the community is welcoming, the school is beautiful, the teachers are talented and the administration staff is fablous. Keep it up!

Posted September 21, 2004

Both of my children have been Wyngate students and we have been very happy with the school. The building is clean, bright and attractive. The teachers, with only a few exceptions have been great. The school is well run and the administrative staff are approachable, attentive and concerned about the kids.

Posted September 1, 2004

We transferred our child to Wyngate Elementary School at the start of 3rd grade. 'Tho well meaning, his neighborhood school could neither understand nor meet his needs [our child has a large gap between IQ (very high) and performance ability(low)]. The K-2 school experience left our child frustrated, isolated, and unmotivated. Since joining Wyngate in 3rd grade, we've seen a full turn-around. Suddenly, school- based learning and friendships are a passion. Wyngate's success line begins with its principal, who oversees outstanding teachers, and a cohesive parent/teacher community. It offers consistently high behavioral/academic expectations with successful efforts to advance or assist typical children and those with special needs. Yes, Principal Barbara Leister runs a tight ship. And our child has absolutely blossomed under her watch and that of teacher Kathleen Famulare. This is a wonderful school.

Posted January 10, 2004

Excellent school. Our son attended from kindergarten through 5th grade. The teachers are outstanding and the principal, Mrs. Leister, is the 'pricipals principal'. She is what makes the school great. A fantastic experience for all of us. We moved to this area specifically for the Wyngate - North Bethesda Middle School - Walter Johnson combination.

Posted November 28, 2003

Absolutely a marvelous experience for our child. This school, under the leadership of the principal, is providing an ideal place to learn. Children flower in Wyngate.

Posted August 26, 2003

As a parent of two children who are gifted and talented, as well as learning disabled, I could not have hoped for a better school. The staff are excellent, the principal, Mrs. Leister is unbelievable. She inspires excellence in the staff, the students and the parents! My oldest child still comes back to see the staff and the principal (he is 7th grade now), and feels that those were his formative years that instilled his love of learning. My youngest is still there and has jumped from a hesitant reader to high fluency. I can't say enough positive about this school. It is truly a gem in Montgomery county.

Math

The state average for Math was 82% in 2013.

118 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 83% in 2013.

118 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 89% in 2013.

104 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 88% in 2013.

104 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 81% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 88% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 67% in 2013.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 9% 6%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 1%N/A42%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

9300 Wadsworth Dr