9-12|Private
School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

Since 1959, the Daughters of Charity have owned and operated Elizabeth Seton High School as a place where young women are empowered to learn, lead, and serve others. Their creativity, talents, and enthusiasm are nurtured and challenged as they prepare to take their places as tomorrow's leaders. For more than 50 years, ESHS has inspired young women to reach their goals , opened their minds to diverse people and ideas, and prepared them to adapt and succeed in the future. A Seton education is an investment that yields benefits for a lifetime.
December 14, 2016

Bad
Good

Supports LD students: Strongly agree

The Bayley Program is an amazing resource for those with learning disabilities along with those with individual subject difficulties.

Develops character: Strongly agree

The teachers and administration really help each student reach their full potential and set goals and achievements.

Amount of homework: Agree

The new portal that we're using allows us to see when assignments are due, our schedule for the day, our class progress, and even the week's lunch menu!

I currently am a member of the class of '19 at Seton and I've loved these past two years! The teachers I've had so far are great and are really helpful when you need it. I currently sing as a Soprano 1 in Seton Chorale and am excited to return next year. I also am participating in our school's first musical in about 20 or so years. Unlike our public school counterparts, we don't have standardized testing other than the PSAT, SAT, and ACT; but we do have midterms and finals. Events like pep rallies, school dances, and field day are pretty fun. We're quite known for our basketball team, and they're great players. Last year, I really struggled in math, but with the combined help of the Bayley Program and my math teacher at the time, I've really improved! The performing arts program is amazing and we've achieved so much since I've started attending! Seton is a great school, and I can't wait to meet the classes of '21-'22!

I am a current parent at the school and have been so happy with the friends my daughter has made. They are polite, cheerful, and bright. My kid has good teachers, a reasonable amount of homework, and is playing a sport. She agrees that Seton's focus on growing "women leaders" is not just a marketing ploy- it's actually happening!

We have four daughters. Two are currently in Seton. We have a senior and a freshman. A third will be starting next year and our youngest in 2019. I cannot say enough good things about this school, the Sisters of Charity, the staff and the girls themselves. Sr. Ellen Marie and her staff care greatly for each and every girl. I've watched my oldest blossom into an amazing young woman and I attribute much of that to Elizabeth Seton High School. We transferred into D.C. from England at the start of our oldest daughter's sophomore year. She decided to try out for the field hockey team even though she didn't know anyone on the team. The girls were friendly and welcoming. When my daughter struggled to complete the mile and half run her future teammates ran back to her and then ran with her, encouraging her the entire way, until they all finished together. What a joy it was to receive such encouragement in the face of what felt like an impossible task. Our second daughter started this year. She's long struggled with her ADD. Sr. Ellen Marie included her in the school's Bayley Program. It's a two-year long program designed to help girls with learning differences. The program provides the girls one period a day with a teacher who helps them learn to organize themselves. She teaches them to break down assignments from other teachers into manageable tasks, plan how they're going to accomplish their goals and helps keep them on track by following up and checking their progress. My daughter has gone from thinking she was dumb and couldn't learn to planning for her college years. She also always struggled with math. The Academic advisor tested her and discovered she had gaps in her learning. They also noticed a few other girls in other classes were struggling. When they tested them they discovered they all had gaps. The school contracted for a separate tutor to come in and teach those seven girls everyday in an effort to get them caught up. And they did all of this at no extra charge. We have moved many times over the last 18 years and have been a part of some wonderful schools. But never have we felt more at home, more a part of a school, more a true member of a school family until we came to Elizabeth Seton. Yes, the tuition can be a challenge, but it is so worth it to see our girls grow and succeed in their academic career. If you have a high school age daughter, bring her to Seton as soon as possible. You will never regret it!

Handles bullying effectively: Strongly agree

I have not heard of any incidents of bullying at Seton but since it has been in the news, the school did have a session with all the girls letting them know that bullying would not be tolerated.

Supports LD students: Strongly agree

Each of our daughter's classes offers a variety of learning approaches which accommodates different learning styles. Plus the girls seem to really enjoy helping each other learn and accomplish as a group.

Effective school leaders: Strongly agree

The school leadership is very focused on ensuring that the girls have the best academic experience possible, but also are encouraged to "grow" into strong young women.

Develops character: Strongly agree

This character development focus has been one of the features that we have appreciated the most. She could learn math a lot of places, but being in a setting which has led her to develop her own sense of integrity and respect has been critical. I see that in how our daughter's self esteem has grown over the years at Seton.

Last modified Elizabeth Seton High School is a Private school that serves grades 9-12