Posted April 05, 2015
Yorktown has been a great experience. The principal and her staff and phenomenal. They are very positive. The school is very informative, they send weekly call outs to keep everyone abreast with the activities and reminders. With my experience with kindergarden and first grade, the teachers are responsive and help you with the "parent transition" of your little one going to school. There are several opportunities to visit the classrooms and become involved. The PTA needs more parent involvement. I love and recommend yorktown!

Posted April 04, 2015
Yorktown is a real hidden gem in our community. The principal is one of the easiest people to work with, and she gives parents several opportunities to observe their children's classroom and has a total open door policy. The teachers go above and beyond for our kids by hosting fun events in the evenings - math night, the talent show, etc. I receive emails from my child's teacher on a regular basis and the principal sends a newsletter out every two weeks. Parents are very engaged and involved without being cliquish. We got a lottery slot for a specialty school, and I have to say that I am truly going to miss Yorktown and everyone there. We have had a fantastic experience, and if things don't go as planned at our new school, we would love to come back to our home at Yorktown!

Posted March 10, 2015
As a parent, I give kudos to all teachers, esp. on helping kids became way responsible and organized. No babysitting esp. on homework, grades or projects. You have to work hard to earn it. Yorktown has amazing teachers, staff and Principal with positive behavior, always there to help or answer your questions. I have no complain whatsoever. Perfect communication between parents and teachers/stuff, room parents with many reminders, from emails, handouts thru students, and evening phone calls. The number of students in classes are reasonable, I can t really complain, I have seen or heard the worse. Again, kudos to teachers they are able to work with kids very closely and know them very well and by their names. I m always impress during parent teacher conferences or just a regular meetings at school with teacher s deeds. I truly agree the school needs makeups given that it s very old. School has active PTA members and meetings and it s a great place to be. I have to give kudos to all parents and teachers who made PTA rocks. Many achievements so far. Yorktown is one of the best kept secrets in Bowie! I truly agree
3 people found this helpful

Posted November 19, 2014
Great school! Lots of parent/teacher contact. The conferences are scheduled for 11/11, although you can request different day if you want. They have days where parents can come in and observe the class room. There are frequent emails/reminders from the teacher, as well as a weekly phone call with announcements. Just recently there was a well-attended "Math fun night". However, the building does need to be upgraded.
2 people found this helpful

Yorktown Elementary School 1

Posted November 10, 2014
After 3 years, my frustration with this school is at its peak. The communication between parents and teachers is horrible. There used to be newsletters, but not anymore. Conferences are rare these days, even if you request one. Kids will be punished by having minutes taken from their only recess time and "silent lunches" for even minor infractions. I have witnessed teachers not allowing students to go out for recess until they had picked up every bit of garbage from the floor. I don't think that kids should be responsible for "normal" lunchroom messes. That's what custodians are for. There is a lot more to the guidance counselor than her smiley face. I have heard her speak harshly to a teacher over the intercom (with students in the room). It seems that the counselor takes on more than she can handle, and is therefore unable to do her normal duties effectively. She has downplayed several events that have occurred. If you have a child on an IEP or a 504, I wish you luck when it comes to anybody following it. Our oldest child is now being homeschooled and is excelling. Don't even get me started on the school's parking lot situation! Insanity!

Yorktown Elementary School 1

Posted November 07, 2014
This school is old, the principle is a real Flip/ flop individual who let's her staff run amuck .... If you have a serious issue she won't address it she will defer to her staff. The unprofessional attitudes at this school are rampant from the who cares? Attitude of the front office staff to the openly nasty attitudes of some of the teachers. The school counselor is allowed to speak to parents as well as students in a openly disgusting manner and run the school when the principle isn't there as well as when she is!!!!!? Very cliquish place to be. If you have a serious issue, good luck! The principle is of no use. Nasty nasty nasty attitudes all around..... Only a few special educators and teachers have any professionalism in this old building that match the old dated attitudes to boot! Parents have removed their children from the school to escape the disgusting behavior condoned and tolerated by their leader/ principle . Gross....

Yorktown Elementary School 2

Posted July 28, 2014
School not working to its full potential due to the politics of the principal. Some of the teachers are mean towards students and act like they don't want to be there. The building is old, and very unsecured with everyone and anyone going in and out of the building on a daily basis.

Posted January 31, 2014
Yorktown elementary school is a great school in Bowie. They welcome parental involvement, teachers communicate very well with parents. The principal is awesome! She knows all students and is caring, patient, nurturing and attends school activities (true of teachers too!) and listens to everyone. In schools I look for an open staff (check), teachers willing to focus on my child's individual needs (check) , opportunities to learn outside of school--Yorktown has a Lego League, Destination Imagination , student council, a Science Bowl team, book club, computer classes etc.... PG county schools get such a bad rep, but Yorktown is a GEM, as are many Bowie schools. The 'test scores' improve annually (if you're into such compare to MOCO elementaries) Parental involvement is key. The PTA is great and does a lot.. I always think more parents could do more. If the school could only offer a foreign language and Saturday classes Visit Yorktown, talk to the teachers and the articulate students and form your own opinion. I am sure you will love it. I do!

Posted January 16, 2014
Yorktown is one of the best kept secrets in Bowie! The principal & educators there come to work each day dedicated to ensure that all students reach their academic potential. Yorktown also works diligently to instill desirable character traits such as empathy, charity, peace, and respect into its students. My son, a 5th grader, has been there since K. We've experienced our share of ups and downs with a few issues handled in a manner my husband & I disagreed with, but where in this life is it ALL a bed of roses? Private School? I think not. Hopefully, we grow & learn from these types of events. There is way more positive than negative @ Yorktown. I have been very involved there all these years and have always felt appreciated by staff and students alike. I read some disparaging remarks made by a few fellow parents that deeply saddened me. It takes a village to educate our children. Public bad-mouthing hurts more than it helps. To those unsatisfied parents, I say roll up your shirtsleeves, get involved and help make things better. Your child will benefit more from seeing you volunteer than hearing & feeling your negativity towards his/her teacher &/or principal.
2 people found this helpful

Posted November 04, 2013
Yorktown is a great school. Lots of opportunities to get involved, and academic feedback is almost instantaneous, esp. via electronic tools such as SchoolMax. Teachers can be a bit strict for the grade level and grading standard, but honestly, I like it this way, makes the students aim higher rather than settle for mediocre performance. Facilities can make use of upgrades for a more enriching environment (since this is one of older schools in PG), but that's a county funding issue. PTA has done its part e.g. attempts of beautification front yard, as well as getting a high school-er to paint the swing sets for volunteer hours in the scout troupes. Great creative thinking there. Kudos to all who strive to make it a great school. Monthly PTA meetings very useful, most teachers and principle attend, but it seems like same set of involved parents. Others, please join in :-)

Yorktown Elementary School
7301 Race Track Rd, Bowie, MD  20715
Last modified Yorktown Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Yorktown Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 32 reviews. Top