Bowie, MD
Before care: Yes

Posted November 19, 2014
Great school! Lots of parent/teacher contact. The conferences are scheduled for 11/11, although you can request different day if you want. They have days where parents can come in and observe the class room. There are frequent emails/reminders from the teacher, as well as a weekly phone call with announcements. Just recently there was a well-attended "Math fun night". However, the building does need to be upgraded.

Posted November 10, 2014
After 3 years, my frustration with this school is at its peak. The communication between parents and teachers is horrible. There used to be newsletters, but not anymore. Conferences are rare these days, even if you request one. Kids will be punished by having minutes taken from their only recess time and "silent lunches" for even minor infractions. I have witnessed teachers not allowing students to go out for recess until they had picked up every bit of garbage from the floor. I don't think that kids should be responsible for "normal" lunchroom messes. That's what custodians are for. There is a lot more to the guidance counselor than her smiley face. I have heard her speak harshly to a teacher over the intercom (with students in the room). It seems that the counselor takes on more than she can handle, and is therefore unable to do her normal duties effectively. She has downplayed several events that have occurred. If you have a child on an IEP or a 504, I wish you luck when it comes to anybody following it. Our oldest child is now being homeschooled and is excelling. Don't even get me started on the school's parking lot situation! Insanity!

Posted November 07, 2014
This school is old, the principle is a real Flip/ flop individual who let's her staff run amuck .... If you have a serious issue she won't address it she will defer to her staff. The unprofessional attitudes at this school are rampant from the who cares? Attitude of the front office staff to the openly nasty attitudes of some of the teachers. The school counselor is allowed to speak to parents as well as students in a openly disgusting manner and run the school when the principle isn't there as well as when she is!!!!!? Very cliquish place to be. If you have a serious issue, good luck! The principle is of no use. Nasty nasty nasty attitudes all around..... Only a few special educators and teachers have any professionalism in this old building that match the old dated attitudes to boot! Parents have removed their children from the school to escape the disgusting behavior condoned and tolerated by their leader/ principle . Gross....

Yorktown Elementary School 2

Posted July 28, 2014
School not working to its full potential due to the politics of the principal. Some of the teachers are mean towards students and act like they don't want to be there. The building is old, and very unsecured with everyone and anyone going in and out of the building on a daily basis.

Posted January 31, 2014
Yorktown elementary school is a great school in Bowie. They welcome parental involvement, teachers communicate very well with parents. The principal is awesome! She knows all students and is caring, patient, nurturing and attends school activities (true of teachers too!) and listens to everyone. In schools I look for an open staff (check), teachers willing to focus on my child's individual needs (check) , opportunities to learn outside of school--Yorktown has a Lego League, Destination Imagination , student council, a Science Bowl team, book club, computer classes etc.... PG county schools get such a bad rep, but Yorktown is a GEM, as are many Bowie schools. The 'test scores' improve annually (if you're into such compare to MOCO elementaries) Parental involvement is key. The PTA is great and does a lot.. I always think more parents could do more. If the school could only offer a foreign language and Saturday classes Visit Yorktown, talk to the teachers and the articulate students and form your own opinion. I am sure you will love it. I do!

Posted January 16, 2014
Yorktown is one of the best kept secrets in Bowie! The principal & educators there come to work each day dedicated to ensure that all students reach their academic potential. Yorktown also works diligently to instill desirable character traits such as empathy, charity, peace, and respect into its students. My son, a 5th grader, has been there since K. We've experienced our share of ups and downs with a few issues handled in a manner my husband & I disagreed with, but where in this life is it ALL a bed of roses? Private School? I think not. Hopefully, we grow & learn from these types of events. There is way more positive than negative @ Yorktown. I have been very involved there all these years and have always felt appreciated by staff and students alike. I read some disparaging remarks made by a few fellow parents that deeply saddened me. It takes a village to educate our children. Public bad-mouthing hurts more than it helps. To those unsatisfied parents, I say roll up your shirtsleeves, get involved and help make things better. Your child will benefit more from seeing you volunteer than hearing & feeling your negativity towards his/her teacher &/or principal.

Posted November 04, 2013
Yorktown is a great school. Lots of opportunities to get involved, and academic feedback is almost instantaneous, esp. via electronic tools such as SchoolMax. Teachers can be a bit strict for the grade level and grading standard, but honestly, I like it this way, makes the students aim higher rather than settle for mediocre performance. Facilities can make use of upgrades for a more enriching environment (since this is one of older schools in PG), but that's a county funding issue. PTA has done its part e.g. attempts of beautification front yard, as well as getting a high school-er to paint the swing sets for volunteer hours in the scout troupes. Great creative thinking there. Kudos to all who strive to make it a great school. Monthly PTA meetings very useful, most teachers and principle attend, but it seems like same set of involved parents. Others, please join in :-)

Posted February 26, 2013
Excellent school! I m extremely pleased with my child s first year at Yorktown. This is a great school with outstanding and dedicated teachers and faculty who are very responsive to any issues or concerns. My daughter s Kindergarten teacher is excellent and strives to enrich and challenge her students at all levels. The PTA here is very active and works to provide many opportunities for parents to be involved. There is a very high level of parental involvement at the school that is encouraged and welcomed by the principal and teachers. The principal is an awesome leader who works closely with teachers and parents to provide an excellent educational environment. Not only are students provided with challenging academics, but also reinforcement of positive values to develop their character and help them reach their full potential. Although PG County doesn t have the best reputation for school performance, Yorktown is an example of one of an increasing number of top notch schools in the county. Supporting our local neighborhood schools is essential to enhancing our communities and improving school performance. We are happy to be a part of the Yorktown community. Go Wildcats!

Posted September 20, 2012
Totally not pleased with this school. Perhaps it is because my kid came from a blue ribbon school, but they tried to tell me that my child had problems keeping up. And they told me this at back to school night. Now that was a week and a half into the start of the school year. When his father wanted to have a meeting with each teacher, they refused and the principal involved herself and tried to say that all the teachers needed to meet with us at the same time instead of us being able to meet with each teacher. Just horrible; I've lived in PG county all my life and have never experienced a horror story/situation like this one. I am kind of surprised, but I put my foot down and the principal backed away from the situation. Its funny because the first thing she would say during orientation and back to school night was if there is an issue, PLEASE CONTACT THE TEACHER FIRST, then come see me. I don't hold office hours. Like, what? But as soon as we want to have a conversation with each teacher and the "model" doesn't go there way, she intercedes. Interesting. Sounds like a form of bullying to me.

Posted September 15, 2011
Yorktown is a great school!!! The office staff is very friendly and helpful and will accommodate any needs for parents or students. The new principal is wonderful! Teachers do a great job and are very hard working and make sure all students learn!! Go Wildcats!!!!

Yorktown Elementary School
7301 Race Track Rd, Bowie, MD  20715
Last modified Yorktown Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Yorktown Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 29 reviews. Top