Kenilworth Elementary School

Public | K-5 | 386 students

Posted August 11, 2014

I love KES my sons first year here was last year in 2nd grade and he did so well excellent grades, he did in his other school too but that was Anne Arundel schools and I did not hear great things about prince georges public schools but anyone who asks me I would greatly recommend it to anyone. My child really enjoys going to school. Also if your child needs help with anything the teachers are really there to help. I can't say enough 3rd grade here we come!!!

Posted April 28, 2014

We've had our children in Kenilworth for 2 year now, and I'm very happy. True, the school is a little older, and some of the physical facilities or materials could be in better shape. But mostly, the teachers care tremendously about the students and their success. The principal is kind to the kids and puts them first, though he could be a little more assertive with the county, but that's ok. Nothing is perfect. As far as size and diversity, I've found that this school really fits the bill as a cute neighborhood elementary school, and one that I'm happy to have my kids at, over a $6K-$13K per year private school.

Posted April 4, 2014

We have a child in first grade who's been there since kindergarten. The teachers and school nurse are excellent, approachable and responsive. The principal on the other needs some improvment, he's not as responsive as he could be.

Posted January 21, 2014

My oldest has been here since K (Miss Harris), she's now in 3rd. My youngest has been here since last year K (Miss Harris), she's now in 1st. I have been very happy here. The diversity of students, staff is important, the parent involvement is huge, the principal (Mr. Henderson) is approachable and very involved. The community activities have been wonderful especially for my kids. Teachers are good at communicating with u about your child's progress/concerns. My 3rd grader tested into TAG and got accepted into Heather Hills but turned it down because she was doing so well here plus at KES we take pride in our school and make things happen. We are the 1st to have a Natural Habitat for wildlife at our school. My teen attended Heather Hills, I was not happy with some of the teachers there and the results that I did not want my 2nd child to deal with. The same teachers are there at HHES. We CHOSE Kenilworth for the progress we are achieving. So happy!!!

Posted January 1, 2014

We are parents that chose Kenilworth after a private school option. The diversity among the students and the community culture among the entire school has exceeded our expectations. The principal is extremely involved without hindering progress (it isn't always that way) and the community atmosphere has worked well towards our child's maturity. I ansolutely adore the way everyone works together for our children. The PTA is fantastic and growing towards innovative activities. It really is a model comprehensive school.

Posted January 4, 2013

Excellent teachers that really teach, challenge, and care about their students. After care is also available at the school. I can't say one bad thing about this school.

Posted January 26, 2010

Reall liked the school, staff and the parents who came too see how the kids were doing. More than anything, My child love this school!

Posted January 26, 2010

I like this school for a different reason than others. They don't settle for just a bad grade. If your child need work on something, trust me they will work on it.

Posted June 15, 2009

This was my daughter's first year at Kenilworth. I can honestly say that I throughly enjoyed the experience. She learned alot was very excited about learning new things. She was exposed to many new subjects that expanded her mind. Her teacher was great! The principal was very helpful. The PTA planned alot of good activities that my family and I were able to participate in. Overall, I enjoyed this educational experience and because I enjoyed it so much I am sending my youngest daughter next year.

Posted October 23, 2008

I have two children at KES nnd I have nothing but the best to say about the teachers, staff members, office workers, principal, PTA, all the way to the bus drivers. I love this school. We will be leaving them soon and it crushes me but I am so glad that I had the opportunity to be apart of the KES family.

Posted September 15, 2008

This is my 2nd year at KES. I have nothing but terrific things to say! My child is in 4th grade this year and I am so thrilled to see what the new year holds! I was pleased with the whole experience last year as it was our first year in a public school environment. My student excelled, had fun, and enjoyed school. The PTA Board plans exciting and fun things for the students. This year has been no different. Even in the midst of the fire the staff and community rallied around to make school ready ASAP. I love KES.

Posted September 14, 2008

I have been very pleased with KES so far. My child is a Kindergarten student in Miss Harris' class and I could not be more impressed with her seasoned approach to enlightening the minds of her little sweethearts. The principal is approachable and very well organized. I must admit that I was very worried about my child attending a Prince George's County public school, however, I have been very pleasantly surprised.

Posted June 25, 2008

I have been very pleased with Kenilworth. The teachers are experienced and they make learning fun for the children. I moved to this area because I heard a lot of good things about Kenilworth and I have not been disappointed.

Posted September 22, 2007

I love KES. MY Teacher is very nice and school is fun.
—Submitted by a student

Posted March 3, 2007

My son has attended Kenilworth for three years and overall I am satisfied. I am a teacher and I keep track of the Maryland State curriculum for each grade he's been in. His K and 2nd grade teachers were experienced and excellent. They knew how to implement the curriculum and still made it fun. The school also uses teaching interns from UM, who are very good. They take off some of the paperwork burden so the teachers can teach. His first grade year was chopped up by subs and not getting a full time teacher until Oct, more the County's issue than the school's. Parents are very involved and vocal about keeping standards high. My son has either music or gym every other day. The Before and After care program is excellent but you must sign up in May for the following school year.

Posted February 15, 2006

What a dump. As far as academics my child spends most of his day waiting, for the teacher to handle the discpline problem kids, to do another work sheet. They have art once in a blue moon and have little if any exposure to the library. What a poor excuse for a top rated school.

Posted August 21, 2005

I have a first grader and a fifth grader at this school. Test scores are high, and it's rated one of the best in the county. The PTA and parental involvement are VERY strong. My fifth grader excels in all his subjects, especially math. He is in the gifted and talented program and honor roll. My first grader is following in his footsteps. This is due in part to hard work, quality academic programs, and the great, dedicated teachers this school employs. My children enjoy the various extracurricular activities, such as pizza and ice cream socials, art projects, field trips, fun fairs, fun days, book fairs, etc. There are also exciting fundraisers throughout the year, including an auction/dance just for adults. Kenilworth is a great elementary school and I will miss it when my children leave.

Posted August 17, 2005

I had the priviledge to have sent 4 of my children to Kennilworth last year and they really made me a proud parent. I am pleased with the staff and teacher involvment as well as support they show for our children. I am gald to be a part of the the Kenilworth family once again.

Posted September 10, 2003

Both of my children attended this school and now my grandchildren attend Kenilworth Elementary. The teachers are excellent and very involved with the students. The PTA is strong and very supported of the school. Parents are involved in every aspect of the school. It is rated one of the best in Prince George's County.

Math

The state average for Math was 74% in 2014.

53 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 77% in 2014.

27 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2013-2014 Maryland used the Maryland School Assessment (MSA) to test students in grades 3 through 8 in reading and math, and grades 5 and 8 in science. The MSA is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Maryland. The goal is for all students to score at or above proficient on the test.

Math

The state average for Math was 81% in 2014.

49 students were tested at this school in 2014.

>=95%
Reading

The state average for Reading was 86% in 2014.

49 students were tested at this school in 2014.

>=95%

Math

The state average for Math was 73% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 89% in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 64% in 2014.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 2% 6%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 27%N/A42%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Librarian/media specialist(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered

Language learning

Level of ESL/ELL programming offered

Gifted & talented

Instructional and/or curriculum models used
  • Gifted / high performing

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school
  • Before school

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Gifted / high performing
Level of special education programming offered
Level of ESL/ELL programming offered

Staff resources available to students
  • Librarian/media specialist(s)