Posted August 30, 2014
My child was taught at this school for 5 years. As we progressed into middle school most of the lessons are self taught. When I compared classroom notes to the text books they were almost verbatim. Classroom instruction is outdated. There is not a good use of hands on projects , laboratory study or technology. Teachers do not communicate with parents. Class room size is 35 kids per class, how can anyone learn in this environment. Would recommend to look elsewhere. We are finishing middle school somewhere else.

Posted April 30, 2014
My son has been having a wonderful experience at St. Pius X Regional School in Bowie, MD. He started here in Kindergarten and is currently in Middle School. Over the years, he has had some amazing teachers, who have gone above and beyond in creating engaging classroom environments. They have used a multisensory approach to learning, providing interactive lessons, while ensuring that students receive individual attention. I have been very pleased with the well rounded, challenging curriculum, and my son has been happy to have many opportunities to use technology in the classroom. Teachers often use "full class" sets of IPads and laptops for their lessons and students attend class in a state of the art computer lab at least once a week. Other 'special" weekly classes include Science Lab, Art, Music, and Physical Education. Throughout the school there is a spirit of cooperation, and we have really not encountered any discipline issues over the years. Perhaps what I enjoy most about our school is the community of people. We have met some wonderful families, and my son has made some great friends.

Posted March 22, 2014
If you are looking for a school where Academics is the main focus for success. St Pius is the school for you, my daughter is a new student and we are so pleased with her progress thus far. She has great teachers who are so passionate about teaching. My daughter is a straight A student. She is so focused on her school work. She loves the fact that her teachers are always willing to work with the students until they have a full understanding of what is expected. I am very excited about the school years to come.

St. Pius X School 4

Posted January 24, 2014
The parent involvement in the school is great. The teachers are so far wonderful. The school has a full library, science lab, art room, and great involvement.

Posted November 14, 2013
I am new to the area and recently went on a tour of this school for my son who will be entering Kindergarten in the fall of 2014. I must say, the warm welcome that I recevied not only from the staff, but also from the students was absolutely great! There was rigorus instruction taking place in every classroom on all grade levels and the students were actively engaged. What was most important to me was that the students AND the teachers all looked happy to be there on such a dreary, cold day! I loved the way that the teachers took time to talk to me about the curriculum and went through what a typical school day would look like for my son...despite the fact that my visit was unannounced! That really impressed me and showed me that they care about what parents think and how they feel. Yes, I want my son to be in a rigorus academic setting that will prepare him for high school. But, I also want him to be in a place where it is clear that the teachers care about their students and are loving and nuturing. St. Pius X Regional School definitely has my vote. And since I'm a 17 year instructor myself, I feel that I know exactly what to look for!

St. Pius X School 4

Posted January 05, 2013
St. Pius X is an excellent school that fosters the sense of community. It is easy to communicate with the teachers concerning specific needs for your child. The resource center and guidence counselor are able to set up plans to help your child succeed. The class size is somewhat large, but the children are in small groups (with a teacher's aide) for math and reading. There is a large science lab and fully equipped computer lab. St. Pius recently purchased iPads for use in the classrooms. Some classrooms are equipped with smart boards and projectors. There are many clubs and sports offered. The children get to participate in many special activities like community service projects, charity work, Christmas bazaar, Family Fun Day, talent show, and Field Day to name a few. The children have learned to care and respect one another. Everyday they learn how to grow their faith in God and with one another.

Posted January 20, 2012
My kids have been here for 2 years. The principle and a lot of teachers are unapproachable and do not communicate and parents are cliquish. My daughter s 7th grade homeroom teacher was non-communicative but her 8th grade teachers are gems. My son had a great 4th grade teacher, she showed a genuine concern for the kids. He is in 5th grade this year and I pulled him out because his teacher is ineffective. My son did not look forward to her classes, he said she doesn t care about them and he is afraid he will not do well in middle school if he stays in her class. This was a wake up call for me. He s never had issues in the past, so I was concerned when he started having so many issues in 5th grade. I brought this up to the vice principal who is great and does what she can. The school counselor is also non-communicative and didn t help much. On his last day of school, he was excitable at the end of gym and opened a door he wasn t supposed to, his gym teacher said to him I m not going to miss you . Since he left, he is happy and thriving with no issues and excited about learning again. This school is good for kids who are self sufficient, but not for kids who may need extra support.

Posted January 19, 2012
One of the best private/catholic school around here. It s a family school, to be more precise with focus on discipline. My kid enjoys every moment and for us, as parents, we are so pleased with this school. Teachers/staff are so friendly and open and besides all; are so helpful with the smile. The school is well organized from that time you drop your kid to the time you pick him up. You can see my kid is well progressing with what he's learning at school. They prepare them well, so as enough homework to be well self-governing too. Also, Parents are so involved here and that makes a big and a huge different to the school and to our kid too. (as we all know, " Involved parents. Successful kids".) Before and After care programs are excellent too where by kids involve in their homework completion, different activities, learn from other bigger class etc. I can go on, on and on....but in general...well done St. Pius X, Bowie. Its exactly what we were looking for to our kids education.

Posted January 08, 2012
I've been a school parent for a few years, and I am very happy. The Principal and the Vice Principal have dedicated their careers to Catholic education, and between them, they have many years of experience. The administration, teachers, and staff are responsive and dedicated professionals who regularly take professional education courses. In my experience, they often devote many hours beyond the regular school day to provide students with a great experience in class. Graduates are routinely accepted at the high school of their choice, and each year, graduating seniors earn hundreds of thousands of dollars in scholarships. The school has educated students for almost 50 years, and the school has a long track record of success. There are many long standing traditions that take place to enhance the school program (Christmas bazaar, Grandparents day, class masses, special lunches, tag days, Funday, school plays, field days, etc.) The facility is safe, clean, bright, and orderly. The schoolwork is challenging but appropriate. From what I have seen, the teachers run disciplined classrooms. Parents (and often grandparents) are very involved in volunteering at the school.

Posted January 05, 2012
I have been involved in the school for over 10years. The math and science are very week, especially in the middle school. The school is outdated along with a lot of the staff. The principal needed to retire years ago. He is unapproachable to staff, student and parents. Middle school teacher/student ratio is 1:35. They let anyone admitted in the middleschool. The teachers have deal with behavior issues instead of teaching.This is frustrating to the student who want to learn, so alot is self taught at home. The only thing added to the curriculum is 5th and 6th grade spanish., which actually should start in pre K. Thankgoodness this is our last year. My children have had a few excellent and motivating teachers and alot of good friends. The cost has risen a great deal, but the curriculum has not changed. I would research other schools.The tuition would not be as painful, if the education was worth it.

St. Pius X School
14710 Annapolis Rd, Bowie, MD  20715
Last modified St. Pius X School is a Private school that serves grades PK-8
St. Pius X School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 37 reviews.