Posted March 26, 2015
I am beyond pleased with the academic strides that my child has made in Kindergarten this year. The said student came in with horrible handwriting, pretty good sight word recognition and on level math and reading/comprehension abilities. At this point in the school year, their handwriting looks like what a 3rd/4th grade student is expected to be able to do, their ability to recognize and spell sight words is above level (1st grade) and my child is reading 2 grade levels ABOVE Kindergarten level. I had my child tested by an outside agency. My child is also on grade level in math and is performing as an emerging 1st grader according to the testing data as well. While I work diligently at home on academic skills and provide many enrichment activities, I have to attribute much of the success to my child's teacher. My child is excited to attend school each day, has made many friends and their strengths AND weaknesses are nurtured. I am extremely pleased with my decision to send my child to St. Pius and I look forward to a successful academic career for them! St. Pius is a great fit for us!

Posted October 17, 2014
I love this school! My daughter hated her previous school, which happened to be a Prince George's county public school. She is now so enthusiastic about going to school daily in addition to what she's learning. My husband and I are so thankful to her teachers for bringing that spark and love of learning back to our child. We love that she is being challenged and nurtured at St. Pius. It has definitely been money well spent!

Posted September 25, 2014
As a private school, this one is dismal. Student/teacher ratios are ridiculously high throughout the entire school, and any additional one-on-one help is almost impossible to secure unless you are willing to PAY for it. The focus is on money, not children; getting recognition, not teaching children to love learning. Enrollment is guaranteed to ANYONE as long as the money is paid. Might as well be a public school, just with less qualified faculty and staff. Community of parents is cliquish, snobby, and redneck, and the kids reflect those values. Teachers deal with behavior issues all day and have no energy to care about teaching. If your child is not dead-set in the middle of every curve -- learning, scores, development, maturity -- go somewhere else as this school offers NOTHING for either gifted or less-than-average students. The extent of the care and concern is what you see when you walk through the halls -- there is nothing else. Resources and counseling are a joke. No gym, no cafeteria -- kids eat at desks and are not allowed to socialize. Ridiculous and leaves kids unprepared for future education. Run away. Public school is a better option, even in PG county.

Posted August 30, 2014
My child was taught at this school for 5 years. As we progressed into middle school most of the lessons are self taught. When I compared classroom notes to the text books they were almost verbatim. Classroom instruction is outdated. There is not a good use of hands on projects , laboratory study or technology. Teachers do not communicate with parents. Class room size is 35 kids per class, how can anyone learn in this environment. Would recommend to look elsewhere. We are finishing middle school somewhere else.

Posted April 30, 2014
My son has been having a wonderful experience at St. Pius X Regional School in Bowie, MD. He started here in Kindergarten and is currently in Middle School. Over the years, he has had some amazing teachers, who have gone above and beyond in creating engaging classroom environments. They have used a multisensory approach to learning, providing interactive lessons, while ensuring that students receive individual attention. I have been very pleased with the well rounded, challenging curriculum, and my son has been happy to have many opportunities to use technology in the classroom. Teachers often use "full class" sets of IPads and laptops for their lessons and students attend class in a state of the art computer lab at least once a week. Other 'special" weekly classes include Science Lab, Art, Music, and Physical Education. Throughout the school there is a spirit of cooperation, and we have really not encountered any discipline issues over the years. Perhaps what I enjoy most about our school is the community of people. We have met some wonderful families, and my son has made some great friends.

Posted March 22, 2014
If you are looking for a school where Academics is the main focus for success. St Pius is the school for you, my daughter is a new student and we are so pleased with her progress thus far. She has great teachers who are so passionate about teaching. My daughter is a straight A student. She is so focused on her school work. She loves the fact that her teachers are always willing to work with the students until they have a full understanding of what is expected. I am very excited about the school years to come.

St. Pius X School 4

Posted January 24, 2014
The parent involvement in the school is great. The teachers are so far wonderful. The school has a full library, science lab, art room, and great involvement.

Posted November 14, 2013
I am new to the area and recently went on a tour of this school for my son who will be entering Kindergarten in the fall of 2014. I must say, the warm welcome that I recevied not only from the staff, but also from the students was absolutely great! There was rigorus instruction taking place in every classroom on all grade levels and the students were actively engaged. What was most important to me was that the students AND the teachers all looked happy to be there on such a dreary, cold day! I loved the way that the teachers took time to talk to me about the curriculum and went through what a typical school day would look like for my son...despite the fact that my visit was unannounced! That really impressed me and showed me that they care about what parents think and how they feel. Yes, I want my son to be in a rigorus academic setting that will prepare him for high school. But, I also want him to be in a place where it is clear that the teachers care about their students and are loving and nuturing. St. Pius X Regional School definitely has my vote. And since I'm a 17 year instructor myself, I feel that I know exactly what to look for!

St. Pius X School 4

Posted January 05, 2013
St. Pius X is an excellent school that fosters the sense of community. It is easy to communicate with the teachers concerning specific needs for your child. The resource center and guidence counselor are able to set up plans to help your child succeed. The class size is somewhat large, but the children are in small groups (with a teacher's aide) for math and reading. There is a large science lab and fully equipped computer lab. St. Pius recently purchased iPads for use in the classrooms. Some classrooms are equipped with smart boards and projectors. There are many clubs and sports offered. The children get to participate in many special activities like community service projects, charity work, Christmas bazaar, Family Fun Day, talent show, and Field Day to name a few. The children have learned to care and respect one another. Everyday they learn how to grow their faith in God and with one another.

Posted January 20, 2012
My kids have been here for 2 years. The principle and a lot of teachers are unapproachable and do not communicate and parents are cliquish. My daughter s 7th grade homeroom teacher was non-communicative but her 8th grade teachers are gems. My son had a great 4th grade teacher, she showed a genuine concern for the kids. He is in 5th grade this year and I pulled him out because his teacher is ineffective. My son did not look forward to her classes, he said she doesn t care about them and he is afraid he will not do well in middle school if he stays in her class. This was a wake up call for me. He s never had issues in the past, so I was concerned when he started having so many issues in 5th grade. I brought this up to the vice principal who is great and does what she can. The school counselor is also non-communicative and didn t help much. On his last day of school, he was excitable at the end of gym and opened a door he wasn t supposed to, his gym teacher said to him I m not going to miss you . Since he left, he is happy and thriving with no issues and excited about learning again. This school is good for kids who are self sufficient, but not for kids who may need extra support.

St. Pius X School