No rating

Grace Christian School

Private | K-8 | 375 students

Living in Bowie

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $229,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,250.

Posted November 28, 2012

My daughter have been a student at Grace Christian School for 3 years, we enrolled her in kindergarten. We are very pleased with the academics that she is being taught here at GCS with all subjects. We love the teachers, administration, the diversity and teachings of Jesus Christ. I love the foundation that is being instilled in my child about the word of the LORD. Each time we come to the school the teachers and staff always displays a very friendly and warm demeanor. The parent involvement and participation with the school is great. Also, the cost of the tuition is affordable compared to the various private schools in the area. We are very pleased with GCS and we pray that the school continue to offer to us what they have given us thus far and get even better for the years to come. Remember no school is perfect, but if you are considering GCS as a choice for your child, I don t think you will be disappointed!!! A GREAT SCHOOL!!!

Posted July 16, 2012

We have been at Grace for 2 years now, and we love the teachers, environment and admin staff. They have a committment to walking with GOD and teach your child in every subject to submit to him - a foundation that will last a lifetime. We are so pleased with the help and guidance our child has got since she has started as she struggled at Holy Trinity and got no help. The tuition is worth every penny and the teachers are very humble, committed and dedicated to the development of your child. They have a phenomenal fine arts program, great diversity (like the real world) and parent envolvement. We wish we had found Grace in PreK, as this is exactly where we should have been all along! Both of our kids love to go to school everyday and miss when they are on break! Amazing School!

Posted June 7, 2012

I enrolled my son in Grace Christian School three years ago and he attended it from the 6th to the 8th grade. I could not have asked for a better middle school experience for him. He thoroughly enjoyed attending this school and learned a lot as well. I would highly recommend Grace Christian school to anyone looking for a good private school to attend. I have nothing but praise for their staff and administrative staff. When my son graduated from the 8th grade, the school gave them a fabulous send off, one like I've never seen before. For what we paid we received generously back from the school. This is truly a great school for your child to attend.

Posted December 31, 2010

I went to this school from kindergarten to 4th grade and it was okay. The kids never listened and the teachers did nothing about it. Discipline was not their strong point. The curriculum was not very hard and I wasn't challenged at all. The lower grades like kindergarten to 2nd grade were very good and I loved it. The upper grades were just okay. The curriculum was pretty good but the kids caused a lot of drama which is typical.

Posted December 27, 2010

GCS provides a great learning environment for my two sons (K and 2nd grade). The curriculum is quite challenging and is extremely good in reading, math, and science. The teachers are excellent and many have been teaching for many years at GCS. One of the best things about GCS is the level of parent support and participation. GCS kids are often listed in the news for their success and have many options once they graduate. As a very educated parent, I was pleased to find a great competitive school in the local area at a cost that allows me to save more than average for future college expenses.

Posted January 19, 2010

I have a student in 5th and 8th grade. Grace is a wonderful school with an especially talented Music Teacher, Mrs. Birch. The performances are outstanding! The academics are strong, but at times a little rigid missing the big picture of the concept instead of the small details of perfection. The Science program needs to be reviewed as an obvious weakness focusing on book work instead of labs. The computer class is great, and it is nice that girls and boys are separated for P.E helping the achievement of girls. One improvement that is badly needed is an aftercare component!!!!!

Posted January 16, 2010

I have a daughter currently in 3rd grade. She has attended Grace since the 1st grade. I echo the reviews of so many who believe that this is one of the best schools in the area. The curriculum is very challenging but the teachers and staff remain loving and friendly. They have a well-rounded curriculum inclusive of foreign language, arts, and music. The math, science, and reading areas are well-defined and advanced. My daughter has a wonderful love of reading - reading up to four chapter books a week. I attibute her love of reading partially to GCS. GCS predominantly uses learning materials from Abeka but supplements from other materials. The field trips and a commitment to social service (visiting nursing homes and sponsoring those in need) are added bonuses. I am confident that my child is being well-developed cademically, socially, and spirtually. I am grateful that I found this school.

Posted September 11, 2009

I think Grace Christian School provides the best value for the money of any private school. The school works hard to keep the tuition reasonable compared to surrounding schools, and delivers excellent academisc and extracurricular activities. My children have excelled there, and the school works hard to help every child succeed. My oldest is at Roosevelt High now in the Science and Tech program, and I consider her very well prepared in the science and math areas. Music is completely phenomenal, and in my estimation , by far the best feature of the school. Sports in middle school, esp. girls are excellent.

Posted June 7, 2008

My child, who recently graduated from GCS this week, has been attending the school for 7 years. The teaching is excellent. The kids are well behaved. The parents are extremely active; and it feels more like a family environment than most schools. I highly recommend GCS for both the lower school and the middle school grades. My child excelled while at GSC; and compared to other children from various private schools in the area, the parents of those children all say that GCS children are far more advanced. If you want a school that is well rounded both academically and in the arts. GCS is that. I loved that the Fine Arts program is 'exaggerated' because it does developed those kids who enjoy performing and who have the talent to excel in performing arts. Many of GCS kids already perform professionally in theatre, and know have to compose music. Wow!

Posted May 13, 2008

We have lived in the Bowie area for four years and we discovered a gold mine when we found GCS. We have one child in the middle school and the school has been an overall great experience. The middle school teachers are good but we have discovered that the English teacher and curriculum are excellent. The teacher has a pleasant personality but is also professional. The curriculum prepares the children for high school very well. One flaw may be an exagerated emphasis on fine arts and music. Sometimes these are treated as more important than the academic classes. Overall I would highly recommend GCS.

Posted May 2, 2008

our child has attended GCS since kindergarden. The lower school is very good. the teachers are nurturing and the program is challenging. The middle school is the exact opposite. The teaching skill is lacking, children are belittled and the math and english program is lacking. we would not recommend the middle school at all.

Posted June 23, 2007

I am an A honor rool student at GCS and am going into the 8th grade. I've been at Grace for 8 years and overall this school has been excellent. The classes are challenging and the teachers are wonderfull. Most of them have been teaching for at least 10 years and are really experienced: they know how kids act, function, think and therefore shape their teaching to fit along those lines. Grace's music programs are excellent! The band and choir are entered in a few competitions each year and many times win 1st place. The art classes are excellent. We explore many different types of art. The sports teams do great also! Other extracurricular classes are Computer, Spanish, and Music (K-6). The parents are also involved a lot in the school like Parent Teacher Fellowship meetings and the teachers are always readyto talk. Overall this school is a wonderfull Christian school!

Posted June 3, 2007

We had a child at this school for 2.5 years before moving. The curriculum is fast past and not for every child. We had concerns with our youngest keeping up at the pace in Kindergarten that our oldest handled well. We were very surprised at the difficult transition for our oldest from private to public school, but we believe it had to do with state requirements (for public schools) to teach based on testing accountability, where private schools are not held accountable in that arena. I would seriously consider sending to private based on this issue if you are not planning on staying with private thru grade 12.

Posted February 9, 2007

I am now a student a Grace and I love it. the discipline is a little harsh but I can deal with it. The teachers really try to talk to you and you fell like you are in a family. I am pround to be a stundent of GCS.

Posted July 6, 2006

I am A student At GCS and I find everything amazing at GCS. Except some kids do not deserve to go to the school. The school is wonderful and you can always expect a nice warm welcome the teachers are nice and the whole staff is nice also the whole is just awesome so check it out.

Posted May 7, 2006

A wonderful, wonderful school. My daughter is currently in 5th grade, and has attended since Kindergarten. I wish the school would go up to 12th grade for her. They have a wonderful program, it's an 'excelerated' program which may explain why Grace kids test so highly. I am thrilled with the school and I highly recommend it to my friends with children. If you want a true, Christian based education for your child, there is no better school in Bowie than Grace -in my humble opinion.

Posted February 5, 2006

My child did fine in the elementary school. But the middle school could withstand more organization. The teachers do not return work home on a regular basis leaving parents in the dark about the students progress.One particular weak spot in the Academic Program is the Science Curriculum. The book for all grades gives reviews at the end of each chapter with vague answers.The school has Art, Music, Computer, Spanish,Band and a Bible Team. There are several Sports teams as well. Parental involvement is available through the Parent Teacher Fellowship and through an online grade monitoring system,'Edline'. But the online grade system is only as reliable as the teachers that input the grades;whenever time permits them to do so. I would recommend this school only for the elementary school years.

Posted December 15, 2005

I actually am a student going to Grace and am in the 7th grade at the moment. I have, however, been going to Grace Christian School since kindergarden and have had an excellent experience with each and every teacher that I have been with. I have also been in the band since 4th grade and i love my teacher Mrs. Birch. The school that I go to is very challenging, but the teachers are always helping me along and I am doing just fine. There is plenty of disipline if you deserve it, but it is delt with in a respectable way. I think my school is great and I am planning to go all the way through 8th grade with all of my teachers as well. - 7th Grade Gracer

Posted January 20, 2005

My daughter has been at Grace for two years now. I'm am completely satisfied with how my daughter has grown spiritually, academically, and mentally throughout the past two years. Grace has an exceptional repuation in the PG County area for their excellent relationships not only with the students but with the parents. Grace Christian School is now part of our family, and the values that this school is teaching my child is truly giving her the foundation she needs to become a young teen/adult. Although she's only in the 1st grade as of now, I plan on continuing her education there at Grace because they have proven to me that their students are their number one priority and they take pride in nurturing christian values within my child as well as making sure she maintains that high level of academics which exceeds her further than most children her age.

Asian 3% N/A
Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander N/A 5%
Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 0% N/A
Two or more races 0% N/A
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Teacher resources

Foreign languages spoken by school staff Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

Associations
  • AACS
Fax number
  • (301) 262-4516

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious