Northview Elementary School

Public | PK-5

Posted June 27, 2014

My daughter truly enjoyed her 1st year of school in Kindergarten. The school is well run especially considering how large it is. We were happy with our teacher and the Principal puts an emphasis on learning for the beginners and making sure they get off on the right track. Also, kudos to the Principal for having full-time Art, Music, and P.E. Teachers when others are cutting back in those areas. The fields trips were good too. Love that there are no uniforms. We are excited about 1st grade!

Posted May 10, 2014

The whole school system is poorly run. They spend millions on technology but what the students need is more contact with adults in small group settings. The county is trying to do away with individual aids but they are absolutely necessary.There are at least 3 if not 5 to 8 students with discipline, emotional, or academic problems in every class. The good student does not get any attention because teachers are too busy controlling behaviors. The administration does not enforce the code of student conduct because suspending students keeps them from instruction, but the disruption that is caused by the several bad actors in each class keeps the 23 other students from learning and sets a bad example. The students soon figure out that there are no consequences for bad behavior and more students start behaving badly. This population of students needs an aid in every classroom and an in school suspension room to house the students who show that they don;t want to learn by their continued disruptive behavior.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted March 14, 2014

I am currently trying to figure out exactly how my husband and I can afford to pay for a private school education for our two children (one is school-aged and the other is almost there). Like the previous parent's assessment, I had high expectations for this school considering it's pretty new. The principal is, in my opinion, not very helpful. He often looks annoyed when trying to chat with him. I'm not very fond of the office staff either, though one is more rude and unprofessional than the offer. My child has a great teacher, but isn't a very gregarious child so he's/she's often forgotten about amongst the massive 29 child class size. There aren't any aids in the class or any for that particular grade level that I know of and it's a real shame. Given optimal circumstances, I'm sure our child's teacher would have a better academic outcome, but since she's not being given what she needs, the children suffer. It's my intention to pull our child out at the end of the school year.

Posted February 10, 2014

My child currently attends Northview Elementary and I am disappointed. We had what we consider to be normal expectations of the school, with it being newer we did think things would be better organized, have the latest, etc but it does not. Communication from teachers is hard to come by. As the head of the school, the Principal, started out strong with communicating news to parents through email, however the number of grammatical and spelling errors from him is alarming. The classroom sizes are at maximum capacity and the the teachers do not have any adult in the room to help them on a daily basis. We are lucky my child's teacher is phenomenal or he/she would undoubtedly be falling behind. The school needs more staff, more knowledge and training on how to best help their students with special needs and neurotypical students. Due to these concerns and others our child will not be attending Northview after this school year.

Posted January 13, 2014

I had 3 children attend here from the first year it opened to spring 2011. Most of the teachers are excellent, however, it is overcrowded, and bullying that happens is out of control. My kids were bullied because they were a minority there. Many times they came home in tears. The kids would take their belongings from their desks, tear up their assignments etc. I would be there almost every day. I saw many fights, and the police were called often. The poor teachers don't have the support, that is why I always tried to help. The school district is run by the county, and it is pretty corrupt. The children are disrespectful to the teachers and parents. We finally moved out of state and in an excellent school system. What a difference, and am so glad to have happy children again

Posted October 18, 2013

I love everything about this school! The principal and office staff are very friendly and always willing to help. So far the teachers I have talked to are extremely friendly and seem to know how to handle every situation. I have two children that attend this school, and the teachers and/or principal have immediately addressed every issue that I brought to their attention. The PTA is very active, but I know that if more parents were involved, this school would be even better. The only negative thing about this school is the number of children in each classroom, but the teachers handle it very well and still give each student the attention they deserve. Both of my children have tested above their grade level, so do not let the rating scare you. I think that the rating system is unfair because children that score highest are pulled out of the "regular" schools and moved to talented and gifted (TAG) programs at other schools.

Posted October 4, 2013

Most of the office staff is rude. There was no prep .of any sort for the new student . My son was not tested. The teachers are overwhelmed with bad student behaviour . It reflects poor parenting of children and most of the children do not listen to the teacher. The students are way below their grade level. They have excellent resources but cannot deliver it the children. Kids do bully their class mates. If you are a parent who wants excellent education ,values and are actively involved ,you simply watch nothing being offered. Though our son was in school (2011 -2012)we supplemented at home . I was actively involved in school and was there literally every week.)I did see all teachers are great , experienced but simply could not offer much to children .Though the principal was not very helpful but his hands were tied and I hear and seeing some improvements .But there is less hope unless the entire family/community change for the students to behave right and the teachers will be able to deliver education and of course test the kids and separate them acc. to their level.

Posted May 24, 2012

This school is very disappointing. The teachers are overwhelmed and some lack the classroom management skills to deal with misbehavior. I have been in the school on numerous occasions and have heard teachers yelling at their students in classrooms and in the hallways. I also have had a chance to meet the principal and attend parent meetings and he seems to have very little knowledge on school policy and seems very arrogant when questioned. Again very disappointing, we should all expect better from our schools in PG County

Posted April 13, 2012

My child has attended this school since Pre-K and is now in kindergarten. I really enjoy the teachers and I think they do their best given the large classes.They are very caring and enjoy what they do. However, I am not pleased with the new principal. I think the administration at Northview could use some revamping especially for children who are borderline ADHD or any other learning disability. I think they need more training or have teachers who specialize in that area. I would like to shout out the wonderful Ms. L. Shack, Ms. T. Rogers, and Ms. James.

Posted March 27, 2012

I have a son who attends the school and he is doing fantastic and has been honor roll student as well as bring certificate for the best student of the month, however I feel that the school is overcrowded and believe this is the case as majority of student do not live in the area but use relative address etc, i feel school could be doing a lot better but its just overcrowded

Posted October 25, 2011

I have two kids attending this school and I feel that the programs and teachers are very good. The kids learn a lot. The only negative is the overall class size issue due to a lot of kids attending the school that DO NOT live in the area but use relative's addresses, etc. NOT cool!

Posted July 13, 2011

I have had a child at Northview since it opened. There has been an overcrowding issue which has yet to be resolved but I feel that the Principal has done a good job with the school. She is stretched too thin. To have only a principal and 1 asst. principal for over 850 children is not good. PG County is cutting teachers once again, -therefore class sizes will be increased, though no fault of the school. The parent involvement is practically nil, we don't see big turnouts for PTA meetings, maybe if we did we could learn how to help and our children would benefit more. It's not just the staff that makes the school better, it's the parent involvement and communication.

Posted June 4, 2011

Overall I like Northview. However, we moved to Md, from Illinois mid year and I am a bit disappointed at the lack of attendtion we received in transferring my daughter into 3rd grade. Icalled several times before moving to talk with the principal, but never got a return call. When we arrived, I asked for a meeting with her, but never got that either...was told, she was too busy. The level of communication with parents is sub-par. The teachers are good teachers, but they too don't actively reach out and communicate with parents. The website is not updated, so you can't get information there, so I find myself calling the school much more than I did in Illinois and much more than I should. I understand budgets are tight and everyone is doing more with less, but these are our children...where is the sense of priority.

Posted May 18, 2011

I have a child in the 2nd grade, and one in k. Honestly, it seems as if there need more teachers to give each child the attention they need. Both of my children have been learning; however, they are in an environment where it seems to be too many children in each class. With budget issues, teachers are monitoring the extremely short recesses, having to deal with too many children, and do not get a real break throughout the day. Because of this it seems as if the students are ones suffering.

Posted December 8, 2010

This is an overcrowded school due to the boundary issues. A lot of yelling goes on in the cafeteria. Not enough adults supervise recess time due to budget problems, which creates safety issues for the children. Many teachers seem overwhelmed. Was a much better school the first couple of years, but went downhill ever since. Very disappointing.

Posted September 1, 2010

I was a student of Northview i went to Northview since 3rd grade the teachers are wonderful exspecially my homeroom teacher in 5th grade Mrs.Cameron anyone who has her will be very wise at the and of the year and they will also have a fun and wonderful year :) - Sandra O.

Posted August 16, 2010

This school is lacking in most areas. I am so grateful that my children no longer have to attend this school.

Posted March 24, 2010

My daughter is going to Northview and she loves it I am looking forward to sending my 5 year old next year since i know she will be in good hands... the teachers are great and have a great attitudes....

Math

The state average for Math was 82% in 2013.

126 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 83% in 2013.

126 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 89% in 2013.

117 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 88% in 2013.

117 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 81% in 2013.

133 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 88% in 2013.

133 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 67% in 2013.

132 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 6% 6%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 39%N/A42%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

3700 Northview Dr