Brandywine Elementary School

Public | PK-5

Posted February 23, 2014

I also have dealt with staff that makes me feel like I am "bothering" them by asking them questions that should have already been answered. The school is disorganized and I have not been giving valuable information, yet when asking for it the staff gets an attitude as if I should already know. The rare times Ive called the people I have needed to talk to were never there, always too busy, and failed to return the call/email/messages. My child has become bored, because he feels the work is too easy. The conversations when he has when coming home in regards to student conduct in class and on the bus are also disturbing. As another reviewer mentioned, the morning drop off is ridiculous. People do not park in the tiny parking lot and they get out of the car to walk the kids into the building holding up traffic with no other exit. The school monitors make no effort to stop them from doing this, yet there is a strict policy on arriving on time :/ I cant wait to transfer my child somewhere else.

Posted March 7, 2013

Like the previous reviewer, I am not pleased at all with Brandywine. The classes are severely overcrowded. Over 35 kids in my child's class. Teachers are so overwhelmed, although they are doing their best under the circumstances.....I guess. I am made to feel as if I am bothering staff with my concerns of my child who is struggling in class and needs help. Even my straight A student is upset because she isn't comfortable asking for help because her teacher is "busy." There are so many other issues. I wish I could transfer my kids out of this school. Not sure if there are better options close to us, so I am on here. I don't believe the Mr C that was mentioned below is there anymore. Maybe that explains the difference in previous reviews to now.

Posted July 27, 2012

The worst school ever!!!! My Daughter never got the attention that she needed because there were 25 students in her class.The Teacher was 65 years old and her assistant was 75 years old.Every parent complained.I was told by the office that if I wanted the best for my Daughter then put her in another school.The bus drivers smoked on the busses and in the School lot and when I asked the office about it they told me that the bus drivers were stressed and needed to smoke.The Parents dropped the kids out on the road when the parking lot is available.I asked the School if that was safe and they said that it was fine.This School is a circus act!!!!!!

Posted July 8, 2010

Brandwine Elementary School is an institution any parent should be proud of. Mr. C. leads by example and the school's staff, teachers and administrators, follow his lead. My kids have moved on to Middle School, but got a remarkable start from Brandywine Elementary. They have continued to maintain Honor Roll Status every grading period.

Posted October 11, 2009

mrs.c is a very good pricnpal the staff is great i just love the way they have these pta meeting night activity my kid just enjoy those and the school did care the challge them but they made sure the kid there had fun the worker treat the kid like it thier own well i had three kid who want to that school and the first daugter she was thier for 3 year she would alway get princal honor roll and know she just started high school. now my other daugter she want thier for 6 year she got high test score and got honor roll alot she would alway tell me how good that place is and now she just started middle school and last have a son good test score each year he get smarter he was thier for 5 year and he is still thier

Posted March 22, 2009

Mr. C and the school staff continues to do an outstanding job with the students. Parental participation is encouraged and they work hard at creating events to get the parents involved i.e. the Chat and Chews, the book sale, in addition of course to the PTA. I enjoy volunteering and see first hand the genuine care and concern that the staff have for their students.

Posted March 21, 2009

The staff at is school works very hard with the students and the parents. Good things start at home.

Posted February 13, 2009

Brandywine has scored very high on the Maryland state test (MSA) they received as special award from the state of Maryland for math grades 3-5 with a 85% of the student passing. This is a good school in the county. Remember behavior problems should be correct at home. Don't expected the school to do everything!!!

Posted January 21, 2009

Like many parents, I was skeptical about sending my child to a public school but really glad I gave them a chance. My son attended a private school for Pre-K (A prestigious Christian School) but I was very disappointed with the work he got it wasn t much of a curriculum. We decided to try Brandywine Elementary and no regrets since. He is now in the 2nd grade, in the TAG program and consistently receives award certificates for his achievements. The teachers there are great really dedicated. They correspond via phone calls, hand notes or email any concerns. To me, the leadership at the school has set a tone for high achievement which I see in my son. Outstanding Job to Mr. C and his staff I look forward to sending my daughter there in the coming year.

Posted September 4, 2007

I have been very pleased with Brandywine. My child has attend for 5 years and is testing off the charts because of the dedicated teachers that continue to challenger her.

Posted April 5, 2007

My daughter began mid-year (January) last year and as of today my first impression still is this schoool is less than pleasing. After reading reviews from three years ago on the board I am valid in my thoughts. The majority of the children are disrespectful and have serious behavior problems. They have dispelled the theory of there 'are no bad children'. The staff can only control the student body within their means. I do not fault them at all. I commend them for their efforts. It is truly a losing battle. I regret letting my daughter stay this long. I will be enrolling her into a private school next year in another county.

Posted November 13, 2004

Our daughter has been going here for three years now and we have been some what pleased. I feel they do not challenge the students enough and the state test scores reflect that. The staff does a great job for what they have to work with as the county funding is really bad. I attended an Honor Roll ceremony with my family and was told I could only take one program as the school was low on ink and paper. We had to go home and make a copy ourselves for the grandparents. The staff spends a lot of time with discipline problems as most of the children are not learning it at home. We have decided to move to another county soon for a better school system.

Posted June 11, 2004

Overall, we've been quite pleased with our student's learning at Brandywine. The principal, Mr. Couteau and his staff have been excellent role educators and role models for our two children. Our family moved into the area only 2 1/2 years ago from a small town in Missouri and I must say that the adjustment was challenging. However, being involved in our children's education process and having a principal and staff that care made the transition much more bearable. I agree with the parent who expressed the negative effect of the peers, however, this can occur anywhere and unfortunately will probably get worse as the moral fiber of our society declines. That's where parent involvement and a good principal and teaching staff make the difference. Brandywine Elementary, I believe, is one of the better Elementary Schools in PG County because I've seen my children's grades and confidence improve tremendously.

Posted May 12, 2004

The superintendent, Mr. C, along with his dedicated staff, are striving to make this school a good one. Unfortunately though, the majority of the kids who attend have not been taught basic manners, which really puts a large dent into the learning process (for the few who want to learn)! After just one year of being here, we are leaving due to the fact that our four children are learning more bad than good at this school. It is unfortunate and I believe the parents are mostly to blame - not the teachers. We also wish our kids were more challenged academically - but again, it is their peers who are keeping that from happening, as too much of the daily class time is spent on managing poor behavior.

Math

The state average for Math was 82% in 2013.

67 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 83% in 2013.

67 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 89% in 2013.

78 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 88% in 2013.

78 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 81% in 2013.

82 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 88% in 2013.

82 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 67% in 2013.

81 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 1% 6%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 48%N/A42%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

14101 Brandywine Rd