No rating

St Philip The Apostle School

Private | PK-8

Living in Camp Springs

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $46,100. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,170.

Posted February 6, 2014

I am very pleased with St. Philips. The principle and entire staff is very involved and vested in the success of the students. Because this is a Catholic school, religion and moral character is a big part of their curriculum, and i am pleased with my child's progress. My child is currently enrolled in PK3 and is registered for PK4 for next year. Her class currently is staffed by a teacher and a paraprofessional. Her current teacher is in her fist year in the Archdiocese and the paraprofessional has been there for a number of years. Taking that into account, I think this year for the teacher was a learning experience as much as it has been for our children. Initially, it was a bit bumpy, but a conversation with the principle and a successful parent teacher conference, has shown much improvement. MY child is meeting the benchmarks for her learning and as a result I am pleased with the school as a whole.

Posted February 6, 2014

My son has attended St. Philip since PK4 and is now in the 1st grade. The day I went to deliver my check, I questioned whether we were putting him in the right school. I wanted to be certain the school would meet our needs from an education perspective and ensure the right balance of nurturing and discipline. I started asking questions and the principal came right over, sat down with me and patiently listened then answered everything despite the fact that I didn't have an appt. I knew right then this was the best place for him and still feel that way. The staff members are all professional and kind, the students are well mannered and respectful and the parent community is very tight. We have a great sports program where kids not only learn to win, they have fun.

Posted January 19, 2014

This school is a very peaceful structured environment for children. The principal is a great advocate for her students, parents, and the school. My children are in PreK3 and PreK4 and I have a wonderful relationship with their teachers. This school is very family oriented. My children will be at this school for a while because it is very hard to find a great school.

Posted October 2, 2012

My granddaughter who attended St Philip from 1st grade to now 2nd is doing very well. I was so pleased with the structure of education as well as the entering and dismissal of classes. I am so pleased with the amount of knowledge my granddaughter has received. Her teachers have been excellent along with the principal Ms. Cullinan. My grandson who attended K3 is a very busy little character. I give a lot of credit to his K3 teacher and aid as they worked wonders for my grandson and he did actually love it. Right now due to the large amount of enrollment for k4 he was not able to attend but he says everyday I want to go to my old school St. Philip. The teachers and administrators do know your kids and I can appreciate that as a grandmother. My daughter takes a lot of time with both kids work and volunteering at the school. I give a A++ to the K3 teacher and aid for patience is what it takes and determination and love for children. I also give a A++ to the 1st & 2nd grade teacher for enriching and educating my granddaughter. I do not want to forget the administrative staff they also get a A++ my how helpful they have been. Good job St Philip grandson attended St Philip

Posted March 8, 2012

correction: read some of the post here that are in the negative and it blows my mind. My son and daughter have attended this school from the beginning. The Principal is outstanding, the office staff are great and very knowledgeable. They know every student, every family member, it is very calming to know no stranger can get my children out of the school not even a relative without written permission and proper identification. My son test in the upper 90th percentile on almost everything for the standardized testing. My daughter is doing outstanding work as well but still young and reading and writing in the Kindergarten and working on the computer. The cost, first people should consider it is a PRIVATE SCHOOL. The reason you pay for books, supplies, etc is because the school is NOT publicly funded. It s funded by families, the Archdiocese and the church members to operate. IF you are building a case because of the money to put this school in the negative, it is not fair to those would be interested. I have met alumni from this school who are doctors, lawyers, teachers, budget analyst, etc., St. Philip is an EXCELLENT SCHOOL and let's face it, private school education is NOT FREE!

Posted May 19, 2011

My son has attended St. Philip the Apostle School since Pre-K and he is now in the 6th grade. We both love the school. The school has a friendly and safe environment. The principal and teachers are very strong educators and make themselves easily accessible to the parents. A very important part of St. Philip the Apostle School is the parental involvement. Parents are strongly encouraged to get involved in the school, which helps establish a partnership with the parents, principal and faculty. St. Philip the Apostle School provides strong education, discipline and family involvement and is an excellent school for my child.

Posted March 6, 2011

When I visited the school the first thing that caught my attention was the level of involvement from the Principal. Her standards for appearance, behavior and academics mirrored my own. I RAN home and told my husband that I found the Elem. school for our children. We are blessed that we found another VILLAGE away from home to help raise and educate our Children. When we are in public and the children are in uniform, we are always asked, "What school do your children attend?" The Principal and Teaching Staff at St. Philip the Apostle are providing my children with the fundamental building blocks to success. It is so encouraging to speak to past parents and hear their praises of St. Philip when their child has just graduated from, Bishop McNamara, DeMatha, Gonzaga and Holy Cross to name a few. A past St. Philip alumnus just received a 2011 Wu Fellowship to Princeton Univ. in pursuit of their Ph.D. The work may be demanding at times, but I know my children will be prepared to enter the competitive world when they leave St. Philip the Apostle. My INVESTMENT since 2005 is returning priceless dividends!

Posted February 9, 2011

I have worked at this school for several years. I believe the priniPAL is great, she knows the students all by name and gives praise where praise is due. She runs a tight school with strong and set rules based in catholic values. She makes sure each teacher responds to parents requests for information with in 24hrs. Homework is posted daily on a public website linked to our website. Students are issued an agenda book to write their assignments down and expected to remember and to be organized to bring needed material home to do the assignment. The PrinciPAL encourages each teacher to continue their education by offering professional development oportunities. I plan on staying at this school for the foreseeable future.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted November 1, 2010

From the first week of school we have had some type of incident with the principal. My husband is military and I am former military and she spoke to us in a way that neither one of us dared speak again during the conversation. She has singled our child out on several occasions and not to praise her. Our daughter is usually very well liked by her teachers. We have had problems getting homework brought home and when we finally addressed the issue with her teacher we were ignored. The school is constantly sending home fund raisers and everything costs money. We recently had to pay for an assembly. When we began to question what would happen if we refused the note sent home said "mandatory" at the top. I have not been impressed with this school and we feel that we are constantly sending in money for this or that.

Posted May 4, 2010

I have one son who attends St. Philip the Apostle. He's currently in the 3rd grade. This has been such a rewarding year for him. He adores the teacher. There are 27 children in the class, which is ideal for 3rd grade. I as a parent sometimes feel that the homework is a bit much, but then my son says...Mommy that's how I keep learning at home :-). My son and I have been treated with the utmost respect at St Philip's, the teachers know each student by name, as well as each parent. Any questions that I have for, or about the school are always answered in a quick and timely manner. I believe that you get from a situation, what you give to it!. We look forward to the remaining years at St Philip's....Go Bulldogs

Posted March 17, 2010

My daughter has only gone to St. Philip for less than a year. At first I was a little concerned on how strict I felt that the environment was but soon found out that my daughter excelled in this type of environment. I also didn't appreciate the amount of homework that a Pre-K kid had every night but again... when she comes home counting, recognizing words and saying the Pledge of Allegiance... I have to say their methods work for her. I do feel like I am nickel d and dime d during the year and I wish that they would just say you owe X-amount and not ask me for more money throughout the year. Overall I think that this is a FANTASTIC school, loving staff and I am glad that I chose it for my daughter. She will be going there in the years to come.

Posted March 10, 2010

My daughter attended St. Philips for less than one year and I felt that the school was not worth the tuition that I was shelling out. My daughter was in the third grade and there were 35 children in one class. Yes, there are several helpers but how do you justify having 35 eight year olds in a classroom at one time. After researching the matter, most of the large private nationally known high schools do not have the enormous teacher student ratio. Parents are called and harassed for money but not called if their child is failing. This year parents paid for children to dress down. The excuse was wrapped in a fundraiser. The grading system is harder than an Ivy League University where a D is a 74%. Your child is setup to fail. Lastly, it is widely agreed that the principal is very condensing to parents

Posted November 2, 2009

I have one daughter who attends St. Philip the Apostle. She s currently in the fourth grade and has been here since the first. She is constantly challenged by the workload the school enforces. She has become quite responsible and organized. To stay the school only has one class per grade level, they offer several activities for the children. The staff is very close knit and the teachers seem to know all of the children. The children respect the adults and more importantly each other. In this day and age it is very refreshing to know my daughter is in an environment where she is safe and being positively encouraged in her academics. The Principal, Ms. Cullinan is so patient and organized. She really knows what she's doing. I m truly grateful to have my daughter in attendance at St. Philip the Apostle!!!!!

Posted September 16, 2009

I strongly agree with the last two posts. Our boys have been with St. Philips since 2004. We love the school. The teachers genuinely care about the students. The principal is excellent. She knows each student's name and something about them. My children are safe and receive both a rigorous academic education and an excellent moral and spiritual grounding. As an educator myself, you just don't see that level of detail, organization and care in many schools but you see it at St. Philips. I have appreciated their level of organization and commitment to the education and development of my children over the years. The fundraisers are not forced on parents and you can see how the money actually benefits and is invested in the children. St. Philips is an excellent school.

Posted September 11, 2009

I very strongly agree with the last posting. We are so glad that we chose St. Philip's to send our daughter. We have been with the school since 4th grade and now my daughter is in 8th. My daughter has grown mentally and spiritually since being there. The staff is there for you when you need to discuss any issues concerning your child. And the principle is the corner stone of the school. She wants the best for the children and that is what they get. To address the topic of fundraisers, they are never pushed upon a parent or do they look down on you if you don't participate. There has never been any pressure in the past or now about be involved in the sales. This is not what St. Philip's stands for, we are a family. Family takes care of each other and looks for each other.

Posted September 10, 2009

I have to strongly disagree with the last 3 posts. Our children have attended St. Philips since 2001 and we are extremely pleased with the academics, Catholic identity and staff. Our children are disciplined, well-mannered, respectful and doing exceptionally well in their studies. My husband and I are very involved in the school and can see the commitment and dedication of the staff. We have the option of participating in fundraisers (which are necessary in a privately-funded school that is not funded by the government) and I'm not sure why or how someone has made other reviewers feel guilty. That's unfortunate, because the Principal, Pastor and staff are committed and dedicated to establishing a good, safe and encuoraging learning environment. I have experienced other Catholic school and St. Philips is among the best. If you are looking for good academics, good moral teachings, a disciplined, safe environment, I recommend St. Philips.

Posted June 8, 2009

I agree strongly with the last two posts. This school is always asking for money. They hardly send home reminders for the parents, but add on more and more fees if not paid. The middle school teachers are very unorganized with homework. It's like they don't communicate at all. It seems as if they have tests everyday of the week. The principal is very controlling. It must be done in a correct manner. If not, there are consequences. I wouldn't dare recommend this school to anyone.

Posted March 24, 2009

This school was all about money and control the principal did not want to listen to parents points of view. It seems to me that all the care about is the money. Several of the upper grade teachers are unorganized. There are no male teachers at this school which really bothered me since i had a son enrolled. Most of the other reviews haven't attended other catholic schools maybe should look into other options. Several parents have issues but are afraid to express them. They show favoritism and the give certain students grades that are undeserving because of who their parents are. I would not recommend this school to anyone.

Posted May 15, 2007

St. Philip the Apostle is an excellent school. My daughter is a sixth grader and has attended St. Philip since the second grade. This Catholic school teaches children respect for themselves and respect for others. The principal is a staunch believer in students doing what is expected of them. She holds students and parents accountable. I am pleased with the education my daughter is receiving. As a Catholic, I appreciate the fact students attend Mass every Friday morning. Though many of our parents are active in the school, I would like to see more parental involvement. The academics, at St. Philip, are challenging, students receive homework every night. Very strong focus on math and reading!! With almost five years at St. Philip, I appreciate what our dedicated principal and teachers do on a daily basis. I made an excellent choice when I enrolled my daughter at St. Philip School.

Posted August 6, 2006

On the outside looking in this school appears to be a high caliber learning institution but once you have been enrolled there for years, that is certainly not the case. The faculty has a high turnover rate too and when teachers leave the students and parents are rarely told the reason why. The most negative aspect would be the leadership which has the attitude of only do as I say or else rarely, willing to work side-by-side with the parent to resolve problems or issues. On the positive note the environment is very clean which is the only really nice thing I can say about this school.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 2% 6%

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Coed
Affiliation
  • Roman catholic
Associations
  • NCEA

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer lab
  • Library
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Archdiocese of Washington

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

5414 Henderson Way