Catonsville, MD

Westowne Elementary School 3

Posted August 17, 2013
I too have found terrible inconsistencies in the quality of teachers, grade level standards, and school rules. The principal does not provide the leadership that is needed. Parents can be involved as long as it's with PTA activities and things that generate money. Start asking questions about curriculum, classroom management, and school policies and you are stonewalled. The school population is ethnically diverse, but the administration is not - definitely a red flag. If your child needs special education services, like a 504 Plan or an IEP, be prepared to advocate quite strongly to make sure your child gets what he/she needs. The only way to get results is to escalate concerns outside of the school i.e. the BCPS Superintendent. If I could afford private school, I would have pulled my kids out of Westowne.

Westowne Elementary School 3

Posted February 07, 2013
Westowne Elementary School is hit or miss with regard to teacher quality. Some teachers are incredible. Others are absolutely terrible. The principal does not appear to make an effort to improve the situation and parents have had to go to the district level to see changes made to ensure consistency among teachers within even the same grade. Parental involvement is not encouraged in most classes and starting in the 2012-2013 school year, parents must get the principal's permission to be in the school building. There are no room parents in most classes nor are class lists standard. The first after school activity in many years has just been added. This is a Lego Robotics Club. Unfortunately it is a pricey activity.

Westowne Elementary School 4

Posted June 02, 2011
This is my kids first year at Westowne. I believe Westowne is the next best thing to private school. The principal runs that school with an iron fist. They always have fun activities going on. The teachers are on point and my son is doing better curriculum wise since he's been there. My daughter's kindergarten teacher is good with the kids in her classroom. I have no complaints with Westowne other than they need air conditioning. But I hear they are working on that.

Westowne Elementary School 0

Posted January 13, 2010
Its a great school , my son has really learned alot a westowne and the principal and staff are great .

Westowne Elementary School 0

Posted November 04, 2009
Wonderful teachers and a dedicated principal.

Posted October 04, 2009
I love Westowne for many reasons. My brothers and I went to this school and now so do my children! My son is now in High school, but he learned so much from the teachers, and staff at Westowne. My son has ADHD and BiPolar, but they helped him through school with no problems. My daughter has Autism. She is in Westowne as of now. This is her third year. I was so worried about how she was going to learn, and about her saftey. I didn't even want to leave her there alone. So for the first few weeks of her 1st year of Pre-K, the teacher let me hang around, and even help out. Just so I could make sure that my little girl was comfortable. I am so happy with the Special Ed classes and the wonderfull teachers they have! They all are so great! My daughter has come so far in the past couple of years, all because of thier help. I would recomend sending any child to this school! A+++

Posted October 14, 2008

Posted October 13, 2008
We have 2 kids attending Westowne and am consistently impressed by their committed and caring teachers and staff!

Westowne Elementary School 4

Posted September 04, 2008

Posted August 02, 2007
My son has done very well at Westowne and seems to enjoy everything about it. My daughter graduated from Westowne and is still doing well in her next school.

Westowne Elementary School
401 Harlem Ln, Catonsville, MD  21228
Last modified Westowne Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Westowne Elementary School Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 18 reviews. Top