Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Don't know (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Very ineffective (1 response)
Currently, most people answered School leader (1 response)

Grateful to: School leader

Posted November 22, 2015
Both Mr. Boyd, the principal and Mrs. Menton, my grandson's kindergarten teacher They both appear to be people who care about children.

Teacher effectiveness: Very ineffective

Posted November 22, 2015
So far, I am highly impressed with my grandson's teacher and look forward to seeing him do well there.

Amount of homework: Don't know

Posted November 22, 2015
I haven't seen enough yet to know this but I am in touch with my son regarding it.

Develops grit: Agree

Posted November 22, 2015
I have seen this reinforced by my grandson's teacher. She had her hands full with over 20 students in class and still did a great job.

Develops respect: Agree

Posted November 22, 2015
I have seen very respectful relationships between my grandson's teacher and her students and they appear to be with one another.

Develops empathy: Agree

Posted November 22, 2015
My grandson appears to be doing very well there and I've seen very good examples of kindness and patience in his kindergarten teacher.

Develops honesty: Agree

Posted November 22, 2015
I like what I have seen so far. The teachers certainly appear to be good role models.

Westowne Elementary School 5

Posted November 22, 2015
I am very impressed with Westowne. I have a very good opinion of Mr. Boyd, the principal and my grandson's teacher, Mrs. Menton. Recently, we had a wonderful time there for Grandparents Day and my grandson appears to be doing well there. The atmosphere is friendly, supportive and the quality of teaching, judging from what I've seen is high.

Westowne Elementary School 3

Posted August 17, 2013
I too have found terrible inconsistencies in the quality of teachers, grade level standards, and school rules. The principal does not provide the leadership that is needed. Parents can be involved as long as it's with PTA activities and things that generate money. Start asking questions about curriculum, classroom management, and school policies and you are stonewalled. The school population is ethnically diverse, but the administration is not - definitely a red flag. If your child needs special education services, like a 504 Plan or an IEP, be prepared to advocate quite strongly to make sure your child gets what he/she needs. The only way to get results is to escalate concerns outside of the school i.e. the BCPS Superintendent. If I could afford private school, I would have pulled my kids out of Westowne.

Westowne Elementary School 3

Posted February 07, 2013
Westowne Elementary School is hit or miss with regard to teacher quality. Some teachers are incredible. Others are absolutely terrible. The principal does not appear to make an effort to improve the situation and parents have had to go to the district level to see changes made to ensure consistency among teachers within even the same grade. Parental involvement is not encouraged in most classes and starting in the 2012-2013 school year, parents must get the principal's permission to be in the school building. There are no room parents in most classes nor are class lists standard. The first after school activity in many years has just been added. This is a Lego Robotics Club. Unfortunately it is a pricey activity.

401 Harlem Ln, Catonsville, MD  21228
Last modified Westowne Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.