Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)

My kids are doing very well in the school. The fourth and sixth grade teachers are great. My only concern is the sixth graders have to walk around with a ton of books in their bags. If this school continues to have 6th graders they need to put lockers inside. The best thing is to buy your child a roller bag with wheels. The sixth graders also have a massive amounts of homework including math and on the weekends. It can be good at times but, it stresses students out over time. The principle Ms. Smith is ok, but she seems a little dismissive to the students. As a parent I have seen it with my own eyes. And, what is it with teachers not letting students use the bathroom? My 6th grade son almost had an accident coming home from the teacher not letting him go. Same thing happend to him in the fifth grade, he asked to be excused to the restroom teacher said no, he threw up all over thr classroom floor. PTA IS EXCELLENT, I take my hats off to them. Other than that school is good, I just don't approve of the tons of books with no lockers and the teachers being strict about bathroom usage. I can't really complain about my son having too much HW because it keeps him off the video games, and his phone.

Teacher effectiveness: Agree

The teachers are pretty good. I feel like Some of the 6th grade teachers lack patients.

Amount of homework: Disagree

My son has way too much math Mon-fri and on the weekend. A break would be nice. They already have big winter packets, spring break packets, etc.

Develops character: Agree

The school is good teachers are good. Its up to the parents to teach their kids honesty, fairness and integrity. Not the school

I absolutely like the new principal Ms. Brandy Smith. She's involved. She's humble. She's open to ideas and suggestions. My two kids are in 1st grade and I don't have any complaints. 6th grade teachers are involved and caring to prepare the kids for the real middle school.

The 2015-2016 school year started with a new principal at Gladys Noon Spellman. Although we were sorry, and a bit panicked, when we heard Ms. Holiday was leaving, Ms. Smith has been doing a fantastic job and is making improvements everyday! The school has added Pre-K and a permanent Art teacher to the faculty. My family is very happy with both the quality of the education our child is receiving and the culture of the school.

Both my husband and I grew up in Bethesda and went through the MoCo public schools. When it came to sending our own kids, we were admittedly a bit skeptical about sending them to PGCPS and Spellman. That said, my daughter is in 1st grade at Spellman, and we couldn't be happier. Principal Holiday is an absolute GEM - she never misses an opportunity to share a hug and a warm smile with the kids, plus she is very open and accessible to parents and families. Likewise, the teachers in our experience are top-notch. They are warm and caring while meeting the students' individual academic needs. Ms. Gilliard, the PE teacher, constantly wins awards and grants for her excellence in teaching and her innovative programs to promote healthy living. The PTA is doing great things to increase parental and community involvement. They host fun family events including outdoor movie nights on the field and a "Monster Mash" family dance for Halloween, and the monthly PTA meetings always include an informative parent workshop or outside speaker on various topics. I cannot say enough wonderful things about Spellman Elementary!

We've had such a great experience at Spellman. Over the past two years we went through the 504 and IEP process and truly felt like we had a team of support. We were especially grateful that his classroom teacher really pushed for the accommodations she felt he needed.

I was pleasantly surprised with the level of involvement and care given by principal and teachers. Moving to the area I was worry about public schools but I couldn't be happier. The school is great and offers amazing support to students.

It is wonderful! Our experience is limited to K and 1; both were fantastic and we wouldn't hesitate to keep our kids at Spellman longer!

Last modified Gladys Noon Spellman Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.