Cheverly, MD
Before care: Yes

Posted September 24, 2014
This is our second year at Spellman and we are very happy with the experience so far. My daughter's classroom teachers have been extremely kind yet very professional. The specialists are fantastic. We had an overcrowding issue last year but Ms Holiday worked magic and got a fourth Kindergarten class. We had one issue with a substitute teacher but worked with Ms Holiday to rectify the situation. Unfortunately, some of the office staff are tactless which can turn off first time visitors to the school. I know several people who have negative impressions of the school based on what they perceive as unprofessional behavior in the front office when they went to get student numbers for their children. If you come visit the school, don't let the office staff shape your opinion. Meet the fantastic teachers and administrators and you will be impressed.

Posted August 26, 2014
Both my husband and I grew up in Bethesda and went through the MoCo public schools. When it came to sending our own kids, we were admittedly a bit skeptical about sending them to PGCPS and Spellman. That said, my daughter is in 1st grade at Spellman, and we couldn't be happier. Principal Holiday is an absolute GEM - she never misses an opportunity to share a hug and a warm smile with the kids, plus she is very open and accessible to parents and families. Likewise, the teachers in our experience are top-notch. They are warm and caring while meeting the students' individual academic needs. Ms. Gilliard, the PE teacher, constantly wins awards and grants for her excellence in teaching and her innovative programs to promote healthy living. The PTA is doing great things to increase parental and community involvement. They host fun family events including outdoor movie nights on the field and a "Monster Mash" family dance for Halloween, and the monthly PTA meetings always include an informative parent workshop or outside speaker on various topics. I cannot say enough wonderful things about Spellman Elementary!

Posted August 26, 2014
We've had such a great experience at Spellman. Over the past two years we went through the 504 and IEP process and truly felt like we had a team of support. We were especially grateful that his classroom teacher really pushed for the accommodations she felt he needed.

Posted April 14, 2014
I was pleasantly surprised with the level of involvement and care given by principal and teachers. Moving to the area I was worry about public schools but I couldn't be happier. The school is great and offers amazing support to students.

Posted January 23, 2014
It is wonderful! Our experience is limited to K and 1; both were fantastic and we wouldn't hesitate to keep our kids at Spellman longer!

Posted September 26, 2013
Our daughter is now in 1st grade at Spellman. There have been a few bumps with the curriculum, but Principal Holiday has been personally available and has been very responsive to our concerns. Our daughter is now getting a tailored, accelerated education that reinforces her love for school and learning. The teachers and specialists are top notch. We are very very happy.

Posted October 31, 2012
We are having a great year at Spellman. Parental involvement is on the rise with the new Room Parent program and PTA leadership. We are also excited to start the new after-school Spanish classes!

Posted February 10, 2012
My son starting at Spellman this year and it has been great! We loves, as do we, his teacher. She is very caring and patient, yet very good at managing the students, which I see first hand as a parent volunteer. It appears to me that the principal, Mrs. Holiday, is very motivating and supportive of her teachers and staff and encourages them all do go above and beyond. The school has made great improvement under her watch. Another great aspect is that they encourage parent participation. I hope that others in the community will consider sending their children to Spellman. I definitely give them my parent approval.

Posted March 29, 2011
Our child is doing very well at Spellman this year. The coursework is appropriate for her age and she gets to exercise her creative side through art and music class. The teachers, principal and other staff are very communicative and caring. She is looking forward to moving up to the next grade and making new friends next year. The PTA is in a 'building year' but I am optimistic for next year as there are several engaged parents with energy and great ideas.

Posted October 12, 2010
My daughter started kindergarten at SPellman this year and has had a great year so far. Her teacher seems top notch, the school is smooth and organized; the principal is approachable and responsive to concerns. My daughter is happy and excited to go to school each morning. She has neighborhood friends in her class; she's enjoying learning to write in her journal, having fun in PE and music, and even doing the simple, relevant daily homework. I get the sense that she feels school is a safe and friendly place. All in all I have been very happy with her experience so far.

Gladys Noon Spellman Elementary School
3324 64th Ave, Cheverly, MD  20785
(301) 925-1944
Last modified Gladys Noon Spellman Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Gladys Noon Spellman Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 18 reviews. Top