Chevy Chase, MD
Students enrolled: 1,050

Lycee Rochambeau French International School 4

Posted April 03, 2014
Lyc e Rochambeau offers an educational experience that is unlike any other in the Washington, DC area. The student body, administration and teachers are truly multicultural and diverse. My American children have students of all nationalities, religions, socio-economic levels in their classes and gain from the worldly perspective that the student body and academic program provide. The academics are extremely rigorous and the k-12 experience is well thought out from a content perspective. In addition, the school does not do enough to highlight the extraordinary value that is provided by its multi-tier French and English program. Each year has multiple English and French sections providing personalized tracks where each child is grouped with students of similar capabilities and taught the material they need to progress. Is the school (or any school for that matter) perfect? No. The administration needs to put greater emphasis on teacher accountability and the customer service US parents and students expect and deserve. They are doing a better job of communicating about their exemplary college admissions results and some other areas, but they have a long way to go.

Posted March 17, 2014
This is a great school : the academic level is very high, the teachers are among the best and the opportunities for the students huge. We are very satisfied.

Posted March 10, 2014
Excellent school with rigourous and demanding curriculum, great teachers and the only truly international environment in the metro DC area. My kids joined in Elementary for one and high school for the other. The elder was failing in a public high school and the level of attention and rigourous approach of the school helped him to graduate with high grades. My younger daughter would not go anywhere else. Her friends are from all around the world and by the age of 10 she was fluent in Spanish, English and French. She has now started Latin and is likely to take on Arabic after that. My older son was given the truly unique opportunity to go to college pretty much anywhere around the world. He chose to go to Europe, but some of his friends went to Stanford, Harvard and Cambrige. One is in Singapore and several went to top Canadian and american universities.

Posted December 13, 2013
I would highly advise against sending your kid to this school unless for some reason you desperately need to. The school is a total mess. There are some very good teachers but plenty of bad ones who stay for years and for whom nothing is ever done. The directors and many of the teachers and administration come from the French public school system where they really should have stayed because they understand nothing about what it means to teach in a private school where standards are high and parents expect an above average level of teaching skills and service. Please spare yourself the time and go visit the excellent public schools in the greater DC area or a private school that really knows what it is doing.

Posted June 11, 2013
From the reviews I've read, a few things are clear coming from the dissatisfied parents: either your kid doesn't have what it takes to excel in this rigorous milieu that surely doesn't hand out medals to every kid, or you have a problem with management because they repeatedly ignore your pleas. The former is frequent and a lot of kids end up in american school not because the curriculum is lacking (on the contrary, it is top notch - just compare it to any american school) but because their kid could not keep up. The latter is unfortunately encountered in virtually every establishment - good luck getting your voice heard in an american school with 2932093 students and parents in it. This is just my two cents but I am continually impressed with the quality of the students and teachers that this school consistently churns out. My daughter went to McGill, and is now accepted to medical school. My son got an offer from Georgetown coming from 1ere. Although they've begged me to be transferred to American school when the going got rough, today they frequently mention how this french system helped them blossom into the people they are today: smart, driven, competitive and highly educated.

Posted May 26, 2013
Before you select this school, request that they send you the annual report that is sent to all parents, which summarizes the school's performance over the past year. It contains the # of graduating students who were accepted by various universities, the percent of students passing the Bac (100%), and the number who took the SAT (very low - only a handful of students) as well as their average score (disappointing - not high enough to get in to University of MD). I have 2 sons who attended the Lycee Rochambeau from 1st grade until graduation. Both earned grades that either met the class average or exceeded it every year, and both did very well on the Bac. But their low scores on the SAT limited their college options to universities in the French school system. Their scores may be due to a language barrier (hard to quickly interpret complex English sentences when you read only French text books and literature), a lack of adequate teaching of math skills and analytical reasoning, or an overly lax and forgiving grading environment. English is the universal language of science and business, and US universities are excellent - and they are now out of reach for my sons.

Posted January 05, 2013
I'm French and my son is now at the local elementary school. We are in the BEST school district in the country and why would anyone put up with their "holier than thou" attitude for 20k/yr is absolutely beyond my comprehension... and I'm French! This school should be called "World Bank/IMF school" because that's their bus. model. Cater to people who are only staying a couple of years will go back to a Francophone country and need a continuum in the curriculum (notice I didn't say France). If that's you, knock yourself out. Teacher turnout is high as is admins, this is the worst. My son was utterly miserable there and got tortured, bullied daily with no one caring whatsoever. Horrible place especially for any kid needing an IEP/504!!!! These kids get put down by teachers and admins and peers on a daily basis among general indifference because "it's their own fault". The difference once I left was life-changing!

Posted May 24, 2012
One thing that's clear from reading these reviews, you either really love this school or really hate it. I really love it. I am American and my 3 kids have attended the school for 5 years. I have never seen or heard of anything resembling the negative experiences below.

Posted May 01, 2012
I just discovered this website, and can't agree more with the disatisfied parents. Management, teachers, admin staff are the worst you can imagine. End of school year will be a relief for our children. And our decision is made : they will go to a local high school and they will pass their "bac" as "candidat libre". Good luck if you decide to enrol your child here, you will pay a fortune for an average education. Not worth.

Posted April 28, 2012
I have been thrilled with the quality of education provided by this school. All of the teachers that my daughter has had have been outstanding. I have had no issues with the administration; they have been supportive in all cases. I think what I find most amazing is the level of rigor and student behavior at the middle and high school levels. Before making any decision, I'd highly recommend touring the school. The contrast between this school and an American one is dramatic. We are driving everyday for an hour to go to this school and it's worth it.

Lycee Rochambeau French International School
3200 Woodbine St, Chevy Chase, MD  20815
Last modified Lycee Rochambeau French International School is a Private school that serves grades PK-12
Lycee Rochambeau French International School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 24 reviews. Top