Posted July 30, 2013
I have been a parent at this school for 10 years. It's a great school and all of the teachers and specialists have always been superb (despite the old principal who was awful but since she left in 2011 the school has been on the right track with the current principal) ... There are lots of wonderful school activities throughout the year (my children especially adore the P.E. and art teacher, field day, and the daily outdoor recess/line-up). I wish that the school system would have specials (art, P.E. and music) more than once a week: two areas of improvement could be 1- the friendliness of the office staff, and 2- the lunch and recess aides- my children and their friends have consistently expressed concern that some just don't seem to care about some of the playground stuff -so rather than taking the time to get to the bottom of an issue they end up punishing the whole group rather than the few culprits who end up ruining it for the majority - perhaps they are just not as well-equipped as the teachers are to deal with children... like I said teachers are great and my three children have/are receiving a great education. We are very happy there ...

Somerset Elementary School 3

Posted June 21, 2013
The principal is political and cold. His office is very cold for people need to transfer in from other districts.

Posted January 11, 2013
Incredible school! The teachers are beyond compare! I couldn't be happier with my child attending this school. Furthermore, Somerset Elementary School hosts a great summer camp -- Camp Summerset! Everyone should check it out - my children have been going there for the past 3 years!!

Posted January 11, 2013
Exceptional school. The new principal is awesome. The PTA is very active and there are a lot of family events organized by/at the school (doughnuts with dads, reading night, ice- skating, dance party, musical production,...). The level is excellent with lots of opportunities for students to learn more and thrive. We love it!

Posted August 26, 2011
Great school in a great community. Truly diverse - one in four students is foreign born. The school is the heart of the community with great teachers and very involved parents.

Somerset Elementary School 1

Posted May 22, 2011
This school has no leadership, as the principal quit mid-year. The new "acting principal" is incapable of controlling the teachers, and the teachers therefore have no oversight and, in some cases, have become downright abusive, since they know they can get away with it. The other parents deserve what they get, as they gang up to squash any hint of dissent. They don't care whether the children receive a decent education, or even decent treatment, as long as the reputation of the school remains intact. These people repeatedly have my reviews removed from this website -- all to support their property values, I'm sure. The bottom line is that this place has no substance. The curriculum is disjointed, inappropriate and bizarre (they demand k's identify and label the "rectangular prism" for example). The teachers have no oversight or discipline, so the children are also undisciplined. Dissenters are attacked, so nothing can ever improve. This place is a mess.

Posted May 07, 2011
My daughter is in Kindergarten at Somerset Elementary and we have been so impressed with her teacher and the quality of the learning instruction she has received. We couldn't have asked for a better teacher, she's superb, or a more desired first learning experience for our daughter. I can't think of one complaint about the wonderful year we've had at the school. We feel very lucky to be part of the Somerset school community.

Posted May 06, 2011
This is a fabulous school! We moved to the neighborhood so that we could send our children here and are very happy with our decision. They have received the personalized instruction that they need. The staff is very communicative and are readily available to provide additional guidance on how we can help our children learn new skills. In addition to the excellent instruction, my children are also get the benefit of a very diverse student body.

Posted April 14, 2011
Love the school. I think the last 4 or so reviews are by the same person. Seems that way. I wonder if they have the correct school? Teachers do not seem fake and appear to be good to the students. I've heard that many parents, like I did, move to this neighborhood just so their child can attend this particular school.

Somerset Elementary School 2

Posted March 27, 2011
"This place is all about appearances" Absolutely right! The staff is pretentious and cold. Their smiles are wide but fake. No communication between the parents and the teachers. Everything is formal and disorganized. I would not recommend it to anyone.

Somerset Elementary School
5811 Warwick Place, Chevy Chase, MD  20815
Last modified Somerset Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Somerset Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 15 reviews.