Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Just right (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Effective (1 response)

Somerset Elementary School 3

Posted July 04, 2016
If you are African American and middle class or below, and your child is male, you may may not be accepted at this school. They a very snobby. The rich are brudded over. The African Americans are trouble makers. Also, the Ms. Morris, the principle is rude. She's not a good listener and if your not in absolute agreement with her, she will cut you off in the middle of your sentences and dismiss you. My son excelled academically but felt isolated and alone for 2 years. He had one good friend but he never got invited to any play dates. The school has a NAACP. Now I understand why. My son was isolated on several incidents were the white boys who were ruff playing didn't get in trouble and he did.

Somerset Elementary School 1

Posted June 01, 2015
We were concerned about the appropriateness of this school and therefore sent an educational consultant to observe. She felt that while the school presented a pleasant environment and the classrooms were managed well, there was an inappropriate amount of desk work. Her words were that by the time these kids reach 5th grade there will be no sign of creativity or personality left. She ultimately felt that it wouldn't be a good fit for our child. Unfortunately we found ourselves in the position of having to send our child there for a brief time. Sadly -- the children our child stayed in contact with have become surly and flat. I thought the parental influence would outweigh that but the school environment reigns supreme. Grateful we didn't remain. I have found the parents of the children who are from other countries to be highly critical of the school while the property owners can't stop singing it's praises, though some have complained about the learning to test mentality and the gossipy principal. There are many beautiful neighborhoods in this city. Buying in this neighborhood for the elementary school seems a bit naive. MCPS has the same curriculum throughout.

Posted July 30, 2013
I have been a parent at this school for 10 years. It's a great school and all of the teachers and specialists have always been superb (despite the old principal who was awful but since she left in 2011 the school has been on the right track with the current principal) ... There are lots of wonderful school activities throughout the year (my children especially adore the P.E. and art teacher, field day, and the daily outdoor recess/line-up). I wish that the school system would have specials (art, P.E. and music) more than once a week: two areas of improvement could be 1- the friendliness of the office staff, and 2- the lunch and recess aides- my children and their friends have consistently expressed concern that some just don't seem to care about some of the playground stuff -so rather than taking the time to get to the bottom of an issue they end up punishing the whole group rather than the few culprits who end up ruining it for the majority - perhaps they are just not as well-equipped as the teachers are to deal with children... like I said teachers are great and my three children have/are receiving a great education. We are very happy there ...

Somerset Elementary School 3

Posted June 21, 2013
The principal is political and cold. His office is very cold for people need to transfer in from other districts.

Posted January 11, 2013
Incredible school! The teachers are beyond compare! I couldn't be happier with my child attending this school. Furthermore, Somerset Elementary School hosts a great summer camp -- Camp Summerset! Everyone should check it out - my children have been going there for the past 3 years!!

Posted January 11, 2013
Exceptional school. The new principal is awesome. The PTA is very active and there are a lot of family events organized by/at the school (doughnuts with dads, reading night, ice- skating, dance party, musical production,...). The level is excellent with lots of opportunities for students to learn more and thrive. We love it!

Somerset Elementary School 4

Posted November 27, 2012
I want to give this school a 5 star but I can,t. The teacher who I won,t mention is nothing but structured and a professional at the very least. The principal I don,t really know but I do know she is always walking around with a walkie talkie at the end of the day. She is a young professional. Also she has just started as principal not to long ago. Now the staff hmmm very cold and not up to date on things and don,t care to be. A simple question as to what are the procedures to afterschool care and you will get an answer that is I don,t know call this number. We came out of state and our child was kept out of class for almost a week because of misinformation and they stood by it not trying to fix it. I can go on and on but the staff needs to have a little tlc. If your wrong and you know your wrong just fix it. Our situations could have been answered easily with a phone call or two. Love the school just stay out of the office : )

Posted August 26, 2011
Great school in a great community. Truly diverse - one in four students is foreign born. The school is the heart of the community with great teachers and very involved parents.

Somerset Elementary School 1

Posted May 22, 2011
This school has no leadership, as the principal quit mid-year. The new "acting principal" is incapable of controlling the teachers, and the teachers therefore have no oversight and, in some cases, have become downright abusive, since they know they can get away with it. The other parents deserve what they get, as they gang up to squash any hint of dissent. They don't care whether the children receive a decent education, or even decent treatment, as long as the reputation of the school remains intact. These people repeatedly have my reviews removed from this website -- all to support their property values, I'm sure. The bottom line is that this place has no substance. The curriculum is disjointed, inappropriate and bizarre (they demand k's identify and label the "rectangular prism" for example). The teachers have no oversight or discipline, so the children are also undisciplined. Dissenters are attacked, so nothing can ever improve. This place is a mess.

Posted May 07, 2011
My daughter is in Kindergarten at Somerset Elementary and we have been so impressed with her teacher and the quality of the learning instruction she has received. We couldn't have asked for a better teacher, she's superb, or a more desired first learning experience for our daughter. I can't think of one complaint about the wonderful year we've had at the school. We feel very lucky to be part of the Somerset school community.

Somerset Elementary School
5811 Warwick Place, Chevy Chase, MD  20815
Last modified Somerset Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.