Clarksville, MD

Posted February 11, 2015
Although my kids love school, as a parent, I felt the school and home communication in Clarksville elementary definitely not there. Being through 1st grade, I do not get much from my kids home folder. Their word study notebook never came back. There is no way for me to tell if they really understand what the teacher taught. And I can not help my kids if they are struggling, In fact, I will not even know if they are struggling or not. As working parents, we can not volunteer a lot. Pretty much depend on the folder/home work the kids brought back to tell what they are learning, and how are they doing in school. But Nope, it seems that the school (or teacher?) does not want parents to be involved, and does not want you, as a parent, to know how your kid is doing in school. From my talk to other parents, it seems that a lot of them share the same concern with me. Just d o not know how to communicate to the school. The leadership of this school need to put some really serious thought into this.
4 people found this helpful

Posted December 23, 2014
The staff is kind of cold faced. Seems too busy to look up from their desk to give you a smile when you walk into the front desk. In my old school, my son used to talk about his humorous art teacher, and warm para-educator who was always curious about what is in his lunch box, silly jokes teacher makes to make the students laugh. But I do not think any of these belongs to Clarksville. Like the other post said, it seems to be more straight-face environment. But we did love the young teachers in second grade last year, who was strict but still very nice. And the PE teacher organizes great activities like field day & turkey trot.
2 people found this helpful

Posted October 10, 2014
I get the feeling this school is run like a military camp. There are rules, rules, rules everywhere for eg. prohibition against talking to children at lunch, etc. Short daily recess which limits the physical activities - this is not how young boys are wired. I'm all for strong discipline, but these are young children, not drones. A couple of my son's friends are showing class clown tendencies, talk too much. Now I know where it is coming from. Inside the classroom too there are specific rules for trivial matters eg. putting the HW sheet in your backpack. Parents who are just visiting for lunch but not volunteering will find unwelcoming staff faces. One experiences complete regimentation from the moment one gets there. It was kind of hilarious and sad at the same time to notice that during one of the parents nights, teachers were getting ready for the presentation and were positively relaxed and moment the principal walked in, they all stood up and were literally in attention position. BTW, parental involvement is great but to the extent of too many activities by the OVERACTIVE PTA.

Posted July 19, 2013
Active parents, good teachers, and a well run school. Principal seems good and engaging. My child just completed kindergarten and will return for 1st grade. So far, we have been pleased. We do question a little bit the pacing of the academic program (I think they could be doing more) but our child seems to be progressing at a good pace (as far as we are told). We are watching it.

Posted May 24, 2010
Clarksville Elementary School has well organized programs led by a fully engaged principal and actively involved parents. The programs are well thought out and includes a good mix of academic programs and social events. Caring teachers encourage parents to be actively involved during the school day as well as during the various outings (trips). The principal is well respected by both the staff and the kids. He knows most, if not all, of the kids by name and routinely greets them each morning. The curriculum is as advertised - this school is well deserving of its 'blue ribbon' status.

Posted September 21, 2009
We read a lot about this school and that is why we bought the house in this area - my daughter just started Kindergarten and i think its wonderful school. i can see lots of passion in the school principal, teachers and staff for the kids education

Posted September 16, 2009
Great school, great administration, great PTA. We live in a great community and the school is a wonderful part of that community.

Posted September 16, 2009
Great school, teachers and community. The teachers challenge the kids everyday and really care about the them.

Posted September 16, 2009
The teachers, administration and staff are very dedicated.

Posted April 30, 2009
Great school with a wonderful staff and PTa

12041 Route 108, Clarksville, MD  21029
Last modified Clarksville Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Clarksville Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 18 reviews. Top