K-8|Private
School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

What distinguishes FCS are its students -- they love to learn, know how to learn, communicate well, and treat people of all ages with respect. Integrating Quaker values with a rigorous curriculum, FCS teaches to the child, nurtures courageous risk-takers, and produces confident learners who are well-prepared for the challenges of high school and beyond. The joy of learning is palpable throughout campus. We invite you to visit.
October 20, 2015

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)

This is what school should be: excellent teachers, small class size, individualized instruction, beautiful facilities, a focus on values that resonate with us (the "SPICES," simplicity, peace, integrity, community, equality, service/stewardship), and genuine diversity. All this plus FCS is less than half the cost of its peer independent schools in this area. I am grateful for the things they do to keep educational costs down, making this as an affordable option for middle class families. This is the sort of place where this year's holiday program included selections from Langston Hughes' "Let America Be America Again" and ended with a school-wide performance of John Lennon's "Imagine." As a parent, I've been impressed with the level of communication from the school. I know what the kids are learning each week and regularly see pictures of the kids' activities and artwork on the school portal. I appreciate that the teachers have the freedom to teach how they think best and de-emphasize homework in the lower school (none for K, 10 mins/night for 1st grade, 20 mins/night for 2nd grade, etc.). The teachers take the necessary time to learn what my child knows, what she's working on, and who she is. I am grateful for the focus on teaching students both to speak up for themselves and to use these skills on behalf of others. Our whole family feels lucky to be part of this wonderful school community. The FCS community, and particularly the students, give me hope for the future, despite everything else going on in the world these days.

I spent a number of years at FCS with two children enrolled, quite happily. One child is now a graduate who has successfully gone on to a very challenging high school. Some of the main reasons for our success at FCS: a) The administration is transparent, dedicated, and communicative. I have repeatedly found that when I have asked questions or given feedback, my opinions have been seriously considered. I know that my children have watched this process, and they have learned invaluable lessons about how to work constructively with others in the world while advocating for themselves. b) The curriculum includes a large number of independent projects. This focus has developed my children's self-confidence and widened their frame of reference for their own potential. My high school student is still using research compiled during independent middle school projects at FCS. c) The strong emphasis on community keeps middle school students engaged in their own education. My high school student developed a deep sense of self as a substantial and academic scholar while an early teen at FCS, and it is clear that that identity will be lifelong. The instructors who came in early for meetings with us, who are daily asking for updates from high school, who encouraged extra-curricular involvement and class leadership projects, who gave extra reading when it was clear it would be devoured, see potential in all of their students and go to unprecedented lengths to help the students see such potential in themselves. Our family is very grateful for our experience at FCS. Coming to the school was a great decision.

Message to families
SCHOOL LEADER
Posted October 20, 2015

There is NO perfect school whether public, charter, or private but this week reminded me of why my two children (5th and 8th gr) attend FCS. Earlier this week, the 5th grade social studies classes held a mock trial in front of a judge. Students argued on both sides of the legal vs. illegal immigration issue! Last night, the 7th and 8th grade students presented their Year End Projects to the community. A culminating activity of 3 months of research, interviews, field experience/service, and advocacy, we listened as the young people (not little kids) shared their knowledge of topics that ranged from foster care to animal rights; from environmental issues to domestic violence. Our 8th graders testified at governmental meetings, wrote letters to the editor of newspapers and governmental officials, and created brochures. The learning that occurred with this process will follow them into high school and beyond. This is why my kids are at FCS!

Amazing to see another review that sounds just like us. This school is excellent for average students...which most of us are. But when it comes to gifted kids, they struggle to accommodate them. The upper middle school, as the other reviewer stated, is in a shambles, and the school resents feedback. One family who is very vocal with suggestions and concerns has virtually been ostracized by the school administration. FCS has a lot to offer, just be sure it is a fit for your child. Don't settle for a glossy description of their program...as HOW they will accomplish certain things, what, specifically, do teachers and staff do. And be prepared to leave after sixth grade.

This is our 9th and final year at FCS, and I am very gratified with my children's education there. After two years in the public school system when "No Child Left Untested" was gathering steam, being able to switch to FCS was such a blessing. Despite changes of personnel, moving into a different building, and growth, the school has never strayed from its core mission of educating the whole child along a set of wonderful Quaker principles. These principles are the bedrock of the institution and, in my opinion, should be how every child worldwide is educated. (I'm not a Quaker, and nor are many of the families at FCS.) I will be honest: This school is not for everyone, but nor should it be. If you are a "Tiger Parent" who wants their child to excel only at math and/or science in order to be competitive on the world stage, this school may not be for you. If you believe in a holistic model of education, where many different aspects of the developing child are addressed to prepare them for a life of service -- with features of positive conflict resolution, stewardship of the environment, and seeing that of God in every human being -- then this is the place for you and your child.

I have two children at FCS, both very bright kids but not necessarily academically inclined. FCS has worked hard to tailor the education to my kids' needs, which they can do without exacting an opportunity cost on the rest of the classes because it is small and because they are committed to such care. My 8th grader, for example, was falling further and further behind in math, even though he was making honor roll at his old school. He's now in a very small class at FCS and is not only all caught up, he *likes* math and is getting high marks. FCS tries hard! And yes, there are some difficult kids (and high maintenance parents, ahem), but welcome to 21st century America. Considering that my child was regularly coming home from public school bruised, I'm not going to get in a big twist about a few bratty kids. To be fair, we fell in love with Quaker pedagogy with its emphasis on character education, but it's not for everyone -- if you're really, really type A, you might feel as though you're stuck in a long conversation with a slow talker.

We originally fell in love with FCS when we visited more than 10 years ago and wished we could do school over again ourselves so we could participate in what we were observing. Since then, both of our kids have or will attend through 8th grade, and overall, we've only seen continuous improvement in many aspects of the school, from administration to teaching to facilities to extra curricular activities. It's not a perfect school -- because no school is -- but we've been impressed with the way the current school head has handled the various situations that arise in any school. FCS is a gem of a school option for this community.

By all means take advantage of the fabulous lower school but be prepared to leave after sixth grade. Sadly, the teaching is eroding more and more, and the curriculum is lackluster. Our daughter is bored every single day in an environment where they claim to meet each child at their level. Upper middle school is a huge disappointment, and the administration is dead set on doing it "their way.". A great school that should stop at sixth grade.

Our daughter has attended Friends Community School (FCS) since kindergarden. We could not be more happy with the environment the school provides. She is being challenged academically, is learning to work collaboratively with other children, and is developing a sense of responsibility to care for the environment and make the world a better place. We value the school's richly diverse student body (reflecting diversity's many dimensions) and their extremely nice parents (it's sort of a chicken and the egg to figure out what came first nice parents or nice kids and how that relates to the school's magical ability to attract parents whose occupations and volunterism reflect the Quaker values of simplicity, peace, integrity, community, equality, and stewardship). We also appreciate the school's zero tolerance for bullying. FCS is selective and not everyone who has the money and applies can get in. There is, however, modest financial aid (up to half off) for those who do get in but cannot afford the tuition.

Last modified Friends Community School is a Private school that serves grades K-8