PK-10|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (3 responses)

Our child has been in the school for > 2 years now and we are very pleased. The principal is highly engaged and obviously puts a great deal of effort and attention into her job, and it shows. They have been accommodating, the teachers provide individual attention to the children, and the school has a friendly, family-like atmosphere. We have gotten to know many of the parents of other children in our child's class. The after-care program is very reasonably priced as well. Clearly there is one person with an ax to grind who has posted multiple times on this site. Please, if you are not happy with the school, then post your comments ONCE and take your child elsewhere where you will be happier.

i attend this school the teachers are great and everyone is nice. When i come into the school building i feel welcomed

My son attended Atholton since he was in the third grade and he is now in the tenth grade there. The school does not have an honor roll. The principal needs to retire as she is out of touch. The communication has broken down between the parents as well as the teachers as my son was struggling in a particular subject and was afraid to tell me about it and the only reason I found out is I inquired about his progress. I feel in a private school this type of thing should not take place if you see a child struggling you do what you can to help and if that doesn't work then involve the parents. I think the school's biggest focus is how many enroll because it doesn't go up to the 12th grade so most kids leave by 8th grade. There is no emphasis placed on academic success only what clubs or other extracurricular activity the child is involved in. I just wish I would have gotten my son out of this school by 6th grade to attend somewhere else.

Atholton is an average Seventh Day Adventist school. Curriculum and instruction is average. No emphasis on academic excellence. No honor roll program. They now have a spelling bee that the principal clearly does not support. If your student is average, go elsewhere. The teachers are very average, especially in math and science. Seems the gymnastics show is the most important thing here. Families pay all different tuitions. Parents concerns are heard but nothing is done about it. If your child is late more than 6 times a semester, you are charged $10 for each lateness after that! On top of tuition. This school can be socially awkward and EX-clusive. I had one child thrive and one struggle terribly socially. Parents are also socially awkward and EX-clusive. It took about 5 years for people to 'be nice' to me and acknowledge my presence in the school, I am an extremely involved mom. Still some of my kids teachers walk right past me in the hall and don't speak! The principal, while passionate, needs to retire. New leadership and teachers are needed. The teacher act like they are afraid of the principal. The principal also speaks to parents as if they are children!

My kids are currently in their third year at Atholton, and both truly love the school. They could not wait for summer to end so that they could return. It is like their second home. The diverse environment truly enriches each student's experience. Most importantly, the teachers genuinely love each child and care about their spiritual and academic growth. They are responsive to student/parent concerns, and they are proactive about alerting parents of concerns before things get out of hand. I highly recommend an Atholton education. My kids have accelerated their spiritual and academic growth while at this school.

I do not believe the curriculum is challenging, nor is there enough emphasis on writing and speaking. The school does not teach students to be independent and responsible. It appears every family pays a different tuition and I don't feel we're getting our money's worth. The teachers are all quick to reply to concerns, but the principal does not address all concerns. I would rate this school one step above public, but not on the same level as most private.

Last modified Atholton Adventist Academy is a Private school that serves grades PK-10