Columbia, MD

Columbia Academy Elementary & Middle School 3

Posted March 15, 2014
My child has attended Columbia Academy - Ellicott City (toddler room) for almost 2 years. I must admit that I was extremely happy with this program when he first started. Well currently there has been entirely too much staff turn over. I am aware that inevitably you cannot control who stays and goes, but the people who are leaving are the ones who seem to be the most vested in the students, and the replacements just lack the same compassion, love and structure that was once there. The staff/teachers make a the environment. When my child first attended here, hands down I would have rated this school a five, but today I am giving it 3 stars, and barely. Honestly for the cost I would expect more.

Posted August 18, 2013
Look the other way. Go public and save money, sanity, and your child's frustration/self-esteem! My daughter was in the Jr. K program and the curriculum was too advanced... Beyond what would be appropriate for challenging children this age. The fact that the class sizes are small did not lead the teacher my child had to differentiate whatsoever. They focused on worksheets and old-school academics. The administration "listens" but not much is ever done. They gave the JR. K (4-5 year olds) a standardized test!!! They expected these children to sit for 4 days for 40 min time periods of no talking! When I asked my child to be exempt, the principal said no... Unless we wanted to keep her home all week. I'm quite pleased to put my child in the HCPSS.

Posted July 18, 2013
This School is the best, My little girl is grown up and going to high school, she went from being a b student to straight as:) Thank You Columbia Academy:)

Posted August 20, 2012
I highly recommend Columbia Academy's Pre-school program. My son attended both the 3 year and 4 year old programs. Initially, he attended the Goddard school in Hanover where I found the program to be very rigid. The biggest difference I found between both schools was that at Columbia Academy my son was learning at a very high rate while having fun. My son enjoys the academic programs and really loves his teachers. He was a 2012 graduate of the 4 year old program (Pre-K) at the Kendall Ridge location. Additionally, the administrators are hands on and also involve themselves in fun classroom activities. Staff is very creative and finds numerous ways to keep the kids stimulated. My son attended the George Washington University Reading Program this summer at the 1st grade Reading level. He just turned 5 (June 2012). I credit his teacher at Columbia Academy Kendall Ridge for his achievements.

Posted August 01, 2012
My son attended Jr. K and K at Columbia Academy, and we had nothing but positive experiences. The teachers and staff are wonderful, a great balance of young enthusiastic teachers, and older experienced ones. The before and after care was a lifesaver! They are open until 6:30pm, and stayed open for non-academic days on snow days and holiday breaks so parents are still able to get to work. They were able to provide a lot of individualized instruction and fantastic field trips. I was able to spend time in the classroom, the children were happy, well behaved and respectful. If we had not moved across the country I would have loved to have kept my son there for first grade.

Posted March 15, 2012
It is simply by luck that my son is only 5 years old and I began to realize how horrible this Columbia Academy school is! My son has been in the Columbia Academy preschool for more than 2 year. The teachers are OK, but the management is plain horrible! They are arrogant, have no idea how to run a school, and just blame on others to cover their own incompetence. Especially for the 2012 new management, they messed up their billing system and said that I should pay my son's tuition by week and lunch by week! seperately! We never had this type of problem before! we never know this change and they want us to pay the so called late fee no matter how hard we tried to explain to them it is not our fault! I mean, I understand that maybe one or two teachers might not be good enough, but if the management is this incompetent and arrogant, this school has simply lost my trust and respect becase you cannot trust they will make any good adjustment! I have transfered my son out of this school immediately and my family and friends will stay away from Columbia Academy as far as possible1

Posted December 02, 2011
My daughter is in JK here and loves it. She cant wait to go to school everyday. She is learning to read and math skills that are going to give her a huge leg up next year.

Posted July 31, 2011
I went to this school up until 5th grade. I left because they didnt give a good education and because of the neglected resources. Public school is a way better option. Everything was falling apart by the time I left.

Columbia Academy Elementary & Middle School 2

Posted April 07, 2011
i was an 8th grade student and this is what i have to say: The School was challenging in many ways...........it was a good wake up to the bad funding and neglected resorces. If you want a good school without paying all the money... just send your child to public school...Thats all i have to say

Posted March 16, 2011
Columbia Academy is a welcoming, family-friendly environment. The Junior-Kindergarten program pushed my child and I could not be happier. My child is reading, writing words, and knows all of the letter sounds. Their math teaches them the beginnings of time, money, patterns, etc. This is a great program if your child has a birthday between September and December! They are constantly learning and are challenged based on their skill level. I would highly recommend this program to anyone I know!

Columbia Academy Elementary & Middle School
10350 Old Columbia Road, Columbia, MD  21046
Last modified Columbia Academy Elementary & Middle School is a Private school that serves grades K-8
Columbia Academy Elementary & Middle School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 33 reviews. Top