K-8|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Just right (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Very effective (2 responses)

Posted April 20, 2016
My daughter started Columbia Academy as a kindergartner and has been there for the past 3 years. I am so grateful for the quality of education she has received. Her second grade teacher has made learning fun and challenging for Sophia this year. We also couldn't be happier with the specials teachers (Spanish, art, music, ELM) and after care program. The teaching staff and administration staff instill values in the students and require the kids respect their teachers and peers. The smaller class size is also a plus. My daughter's confidence and self-esteem has grown significantly over the past three years and I think that is a direct reflection of the supportive environment at Columbia Academy.

Posted April 11, 2016
My son is very energetic, curious, and outgoing so in looking for a school it was important to me that I found a place where he could grow not only socially but academically as well. I felt that in public school my five year old was labeled, and possibly neglected in such big class of 23 children causing him to fall behind. I have to say I am extremely impressed at how his teacher and staff at Columbia Academy have been able to channel all his energy in such wonderful, productive and positive manner. I appreciate the patience, understanding and efforts form the staff to communicate even what some would consider trivial. Mrs. Hostkamp has been awesome in nurturing the excitement in him to read and learn, which is a miracle in my eyes. His academic progress has been extraordinary in such short period of time. I know that academically he will be prepared for high school and a competent college student. As a mother also working on my professional development and a more fulfilling career path, I go about my day at work fully confident that my son is getting the best education, with people that care about him as if he was family.

Posted February 14, 2016
My son attends Columbia Academy. It has been an incredible year for him. His teacher really loves him for who he is. All of the teachers are actually amazing and the class sizes is very small. They have after care after school and clubs for the students. Misbehavior effecting others is not tolerated by the teachers or the administrative leaders, and the character education program supports a positive environment. My son was having a problem and the school stepped in and helped him day one. The school administration is really helpful and they have a strong team of people. The school has excellent diversity in the kids but in the staff and this is something that my family and I were looking for. The school works with our schedule and I know that he will have a good day at school and don't have to worry about the phone ringing. He is learning to love school. He is learning to form positive feelings about going to school. He can write leaps and bounds above children his age because of his teacher. We also like that the school allows the parents to walk the kids to morning homeroom and to even walk to the class to pick up at after care. I am allowed to meet with his teacher every day. We are very thankful for Columbia Academy. It is the best school and offers a sense of community, caring, safety, and diversity, that no other school can match. You can feel the sense of caring and family that the school creates at events like Movie Night. We are more than happy with our choice and we feel that this school is very worth the money because our son will not be able to do school over again once he is grown. Check out Columbia Academy in Columbia!

Columbia Academy Elementary & Middle School 2

Posted January 28, 2016
We have been with the Columbia Academy Elementary and Middle School close 2 years now. First year, I was extremely happy with the teacher. However, second year, I started to get very upset with the school director and some teachers, the way how they handle the situations between kids. They are taking small issues and make it as a big issue. I think the reason is that they do not have the proper education for teaching small kids (K and 1st grade). They are 5-6 years old and not all the teachers know how to educate/teach these kids since they do not have a degree on early kid education. This is a big disappointment for me. I would not recommend this school to any of my friends.

Posted January 26, 2016
We have been a Columbia Academy family for 13+ years and have been extremely happy with the school. Our daughter, now a freshman in college attended CA from K-8. Her transition into high school honors & AP classes was academically very smooth. Our son is currently in 6th grade and has been there since K. The classes sizes are small enough that each child gets necessary attention; in our experience the staff are willing (and have time) to 'stretch' a child academically as needed. Teachers seem to enjoy coming up with creative ways to help the kids learn. It's obvious that the teachers & directors care about the kids. But it's not just about straight academics. The school holds an outdoor day at a local park each spring & fall, including students and families, each grade has ~1 field trip each month. The whole school participates in a Culture Fair, Science Fair and Biography Bash (research, come dressed as and report on a 'real' person for Hallowe'en). The PTSA sponsors several events each year, like Family Bingo night, movie night and the school engages in volunteer activities like drives for the Maryland Food Bank. The school is open from 6:30 a to 6:30 p, without most of the weather related school closings with the public schools. The school population offers a rich diversity and a great overall experience for the kids. If you live in this area, you should check it out!

Posted September 03, 2015
Our son attended Columbia Academy for kindergarten last year and now started first grade. We've been extremely happy with the school and staff. The class sizes are small and the kids get a lot of individual attention and care. The teachers are truly amazing and are able to get the kids excited about learning. Our son loves going there every day! We highly recommend this school to everyone!

Posted August 31, 2015
My daughter attended Columbia Academy for four years. She loved her teachers and really got a solid foundation that will last forever. When we had to move her to another school she was above grade level. I recommend Columbia for an alternative over Howard County's extremely over-crowded schools.

Posted August 02, 2015
Columbia Academy Elementary and Middle School is the elite private school in Howard County Maryland. This is a school that has definitely evolved. This is a true bully-free school that is accessible to parents year round, open from 6:30 to 6:30 daily. The students here are great kids, there are a lot of extracurricular things for the children/parents, the curriculum is excellent, and I never worry about safety. Further, the teachers are unparalleled & are really caring with class sizes under 16 students in every room so every child gets personal attention. And "bad teachers" are simply not allowed there...period! The school is run better than any school I have ever known with a fabulous & creative Head of School and an amazing and tireless long-time lead Director - who both could never be replaced. The new camps Director is better than ever too and the school was so lucky to bring her on. Hot lunch program, tablets for all students, smart boards in all rooms, full range of specials, and monthly field trips. Facility could use updates but it seems that is starting to happen. Parents are treated like family and after gaining electronic access we are welcome to take our child to homeroom!...unlike in the public school. In Howard County anyone can get "average for free"...but for kids who go through the whole Columbia Academy experience (tuition help options exist btw), it is well worth the money for your child's long term success in life. There are so many reasons we are paying for Columbia Academy EMS! Where else will the Headmaster call everyone on Sunday night so he can remind you of everything you need to know for the next week!? Truly a well-oiled machine with phenomenal and caring team leadership that is affecting what matters most - the teaching and the kids.

Posted April 11, 2015
We have been with Columbia Academy EMS for two years. It's been a great experience with all of the teachers being very caring, hard working, and dedicated. Every teacher has bent over backwards to help. The administration is approachable and friendly. The director has been there for a long time and knows all the kids by face where that is really rare. The school's head is very dynamic and insures that there's no bullying and that every staff member is accountable and evaluated and the instruction is sound. The communication is the best with newsletters or phone calls and a big Friday email that tells everyone everything that needs to be known. There are never any secrets at CA. It's a great family-like school for kids who need a comfortable atmosphere, no bullying, small class size where the kids needs are known and met, a place to go when other schools won't open for working parents...and they even give every child a tablet. Cost is reasonable instead of paying out 30 grand for a large school where your kid won't be given as much 1 to 1 attention...and then you can't save up money for a high school. It has been a much better option than the public school.

Posted April 08, 2015
Columbia Academy Elementary & Middle School (CA-EMS) is a hidden treasure in Howard County conveniently located off of Route 32 near 29 & 95. The staff is motivated and committed under the leadership of a fabulous principal. Ratios are low Average 1-10, monthly fieldtrip experience, and an inclusive Parent/Teacher/Student Organization (PTSO) that offers many school community activities. Not to mention the tuition is very fair and you get every penny worth. This school doesn't follow the inclement weather schedule of HCPSS and offers non-academic days when there are teacher planning days since your child doesn't have to find alternate childcare on such days. Definately worth a tour if you are considering private school!

Columbia Academy Elementary & Middle School
10350 Old Columbia Road, Columbia, MD  21046
Last modified Columbia Academy Elementary & Middle School is a Private school that serves grades K-8