K-8|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (4 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (4 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)

Our daughter Tori just finished 10 years at Columbia Academy (PreK-8th grade) and we were overall very happy with the school. All classrooms have smart boards. Middle school which is 5th-8th grade used tablets although issues with connection at times. Biography project presentations as early as 1st grade to help with fear of public speaking. Science fair projects 3rd-8th which students had to individually discuss with the judges to ensure they actually did the project. Kids get exposed to foreign language, PE (gym) and the arts (art, music, drama) through rotational daily schedules which our daughter enjoyed. All students get 30 minute daily recess after lunch to reenergize or use as study period. Lots of educational field trips. Could use a more structured math program in middle school so kids are learning Algebra I in 8th grade vs math 8 with some Algebra to better prepare for high school. School offers awards for student of the month in each grade as well as virtue of the month. Finally got a good Spanish teacher the last year we were there so hopefully that will help better prepare kids for HS. Also did enhancements to their computer technology curriculum and now involve ways to research. Logistics are great ~ great for working parents. Options of 6:30 am – 6:30 pm. School rarely closes ~ non-academic days for snow days. Very small class sizes. Our daughter's class size ranged 8-15 kids mostly on the low end. Her 2016 graduating class was 8 kids. Great teachers who care not only as education professionals but who help prepare the kids for life (organization, study habits, behaviorally, etc). Great administration ~ always willing to hear feedback and implement what works. Head of admin really cares about making improvements and spends a great deal of time communicating with parents. CA offers great camps during winter and spring breaks as well as 10 weeks during the summer although they need to pro-rate the week of 4th of July. Summer camps broken down by grade and each week involves structured schedule of activities, 3 days of pool at different locations and a field trip. Our daughter is now at Chapelgate Christian Academy and has a 96-100 in all 8 of her classes for the first 3 quarters ~ Thank you Columbia Academy for preparing her for success. Head of admin has my email if you would like additional info. Val W-H

This is our first year at the school and we have been so impressed with all the teachers and administrators. Our child's confidence has grown so much this year. We are excited for many more years at the school.

My son has been attending Summer Camp at Columbia Academy over the past two years (entering grades 1 and 2). It is a great all around camp. Kids are divided into classrooms based on their grade. They do about 2 hours of schoolwork, followed by afternoons at various Columbia Association pools and amazing field trips. My son says the students and teachers are so nice. He's never been bored, and is always eager to get there in the morning, and is in a great mood when I pick him up. Highly recommend for camp. I'm sure the school itself is wonderful, based on our camp experience.

My daughter started Columbia Academy as a kindergartner and has been there for the past 3 years. I am so grateful for the quality of education she has received. Her second grade teacher has made learning fun and challenging for Sophia this year. We also couldn't be happier with the specials teachers (Spanish, art, music, ELM) and after care program. The teaching staff and administration staff instill values in the students and require the kids respect their teachers and peers. The smaller class size is also a plus. My daughter's confidence and self-esteem has grown significantly over the past three years and I think that is a direct reflection of the supportive environment at Columbia Academy.

My son is very energetic, curious, and outgoing so in looking for a school it was important to me that I found a place where he could grow not only socially but academically as well. I felt that in public school my five year old was labeled, and possibly neglected in such big class of 23 children causing him to fall behind. I have to say I am extremely impressed at how his teacher and staff at Columbia Academy have been able to channel all his energy in such wonderful, productive and positive manner. I appreciate the patience, understanding and efforts form the staff to communicate even what some would consider trivial. Mrs. Hostkamp has been awesome in nurturing the excitement in him to read and learn, which is a miracle in my eyes. His academic progress has been extraordinary in such short period of time. I know that academically he will be prepared for high school and a competent college student. As a mother also working on my professional development and a more fulfilling career path, I go about my day at work fully confident that my son is getting the best education, with people that care about him as if he was family.

My son attends Columbia Academy. It has been an incredible year for him. His teacher really loves him for who he is. All of the teachers are actually amazing and the class sizes is very small. They have after care after school and clubs for the students. Misbehavior effecting others is not tolerated by the teachers or the administrative leaders, and the character education program supports a positive environment. My son was having a problem and the school stepped in and helped him day one. The school administration is really helpful and they have a strong team of people. The school has excellent diversity in the kids but in the staff and this is something that my family and I were looking for. The school works with our schedule and I know that he will have a good day at school and don't have to worry about the phone ringing. He is learning to love school. He is learning to form positive feelings about going to school. He can write leaps and bounds above children his age because of his teacher. We also like that the school allows the parents to walk the kids to morning homeroom and to even walk to the class to pick up at after care. I am allowed to meet with his teacher every day. We are very thankful for Columbia Academy. It is the best school and offers a sense of community, caring, safety, and diversity, that no other school can match. You can feel the sense of caring and family that the school creates at events like Movie Night. We are more than happy with our choice and we feel that this school is very worth the money because our son will not be able to do school over again once he is grown. Check out Columbia Academy in Columbia!

We have been with the Columbia Academy Elementary and Middle School close 2 years now. First year, I was extremely happy with the teacher. However, second year, I started to get very upset with the school director and some teachers, the way how they handle the situations between kids. They are taking small issues and make it as a big issue. I think the reason is that they do not have the proper education for teaching small kids (K and 1st grade). They are 5-6 years old and not all the teachers know how to educate/teach these kids since they do not have a degree on early kid education. This is a big disappointment for me. I would not recommend this school to any of my friends.

We have been a Columbia Academy family for 13+ years and have been extremely happy with the school. Our daughter, now a freshman in college attended CA from K-8. Her transition into high school honors & AP classes was academically very smooth. Our son is currently in 6th grade and has been there since K. The classes sizes are small enough that each child gets necessary attention; in our experience the staff are willing (and have time) to 'stretch' a child academically as needed. Teachers seem to enjoy coming up with creative ways to help the kids learn. It's obvious that the teachers & directors care about the kids. But it's not just about straight academics. The school holds an outdoor day at a local park each spring & fall, including students and families, each grade has ~1 field trip each month. The whole school participates in a Culture Fair, Science Fair and Biography Bash (research, come dressed as and report on a 'real' person for Hallowe'en). The PTSA sponsors several events each year, like Family Bingo night, movie night and the school engages in volunteer activities like drives for the Maryland Food Bank. The school is open from 6:30 a to 6:30 p, without most of the weather related school closings with the public schools. The school population offers a rich diversity and a great overall experience for the kids. If you live in this area, you should check it out!

Our son attended Columbia Academy for kindergarten last year and now started first grade. We've been extremely happy with the school and staff. The class sizes are small and the kids get a lot of individual attention and care. The teachers are truly amazing and are able to get the kids excited about learning. Our son loves going there every day! We highly recommend this school to everyone!

My daughter attended Columbia Academy for four years. She loved her teachers and really got a solid foundation that will last forever. When we had to move her to another school she was above grade level. I recommend Columbia for an alternative over Howard County's extremely over-crowded schools.

Last modified Columbia Academy Elementary and Middle School is a Private school that serves grades K-8