Love of Learning Montessori School 5

Posted September 29, 2014
Love of Learning Montessori is a remarkable school. My children had previously attended La Petite and The Goddard school. My older son has excelled in math, reading and geography since starting Love of Learning for Pre-K last year. He is doing far more than any of his peers from The Goddard School. He made a map of South America on his first day of Kindergarten. The teachers are wonderful and most have been there for many years. They may not always have time to talk with you during the school day as it will take them away from the children, but they will gladly chat with you after school or via email. We have never had a problem with the teachers or administration and find them all to be very warm, welcoming and helpful. I am disappointed in some of the poor reviews on this site and I am thinking that these parents have not had any experience with other day care centers. One of my sons had 4 teachers leave his school in the first 2 months at the Goddard School. That to me, is a HIGH turnover rate. I also think that the tuition is comparable to other day cares/private schools in our area, but the children are learning so much more here. Love of Learning is worth every penny.

Posted August 22, 2014
The admin is horrible and it impacts teacher happiness & the overall academic experience for the child. High staff turnover & staffing is low. There's not enough floaters to provide teachers daily breaks/sick days & teachers are TIRED. Finances seem to be poorly spent - filthy bathrooms, lack of books/materials in infants/toddlers, class trips/enrichment are infrequent &the playground is a mess. Parents are asked to DONATE to fund the playground-ridiculous given tuition. The behavior of the admin is embarrassing. When parents have valid concerns, they are slow to respond/cannot make time to meet w/parents. We often got the sense that this was a business about $$$ & not a school. Re:elementary program, from what we have heard it should be avoided at all costs. The school lacks the professionalism to run a daycare, I would not recommend chancing a child's elementary education to this kind of management. Elem is usually staff children-TUITION PAYING families tend to move on. Many of the 5 star reviews posted below are by the admin, which is SAD. If they spent less time policing this site & more focusing on their current community needs, they might see what we all see.

Posted August 20, 2014
I have to agree with the previous posts regarding the poor administration. My daughter was in the school for 3 years and although was lucky enough to have excellent teachers, they are few and far between. The administration has been nothing but oppositional and do not treat their teachers well likely contributing to the high turnover rate. The school is a family run business and many of the elementary students are children of the administration. They repeatedly run fundraisers for the elementary students (overseas trips) as well as for building/playground maintenance. Given that this is a for profit institution, tuition fees (one of the highest in howard county) should be more than adequate to cover the upgrades to the facility/playground. There are also have been security and health concerns that were not communicated to parents in an appropriate manner. Overall, I do not recommend this school.

Posted June 30, 2014
This school is less than stellar...I would not recommend this school to anyone. Some of the teachers are exceptional but are overshadowed by poor administration and overall lack of supervision in the toddler program. My toddler was bitten, scratched, pushed and shoved by other students and nothing was done by her teachers and I was never notified by the school. There is also a very high teacher turnover rate, which is disruptive to a child's routine.

Love of Learning Montessori School 5

Posted May 07, 2014
This school is the best foundation of education that a child can receive in Howard County. Not only is the Montessori method itself a fantastic path of education but this particular school, and all of its staff make up a great faculty. I attended this school for seven years and then came back for an internship later on. The teachers in my kindergarden classes and elementary classes were exceptionally good teachers and people. I think the administration and teachers do an amazing job at making education a positive environment and make the students feel like they want to learn. The teachers in both the elementary and kindergarden departments, the two that I have had experience with, inspire the students to enjoy learning everyday and make school a place that is enjoyable. The teacher's will spend everyday teaching the students to meet their full potential and excel in the academic and social world.

Love of Learning Montessori School 2

Posted March 24, 2014
The elementary school program did not fit our child's needs. While our child very much enjoyed the spanish lessons and the guitar lessons, the math curriculum was not even remotely challenging and we were disappointed by the inflexibility and defensiveness we encountered when we raised the issue respectfully with the staff. If your child is academically above his or her peers (particularly if he or she is highly or profoundly gifted), this is not the right school. There were also issues with bullying that were not addressed by the staff - cruel, vicious behavior by other students. Our child felt alone and without true peers or advocates.

Posted February 01, 2014
This school is the best Montessori school in Howard County. Both of my kids attended preschool there, and my younger one started an infant. We kept our older child there for the Kindergarten year (instead of a highly rated HoCo public school) and are very glad we did. However, the teachers and school do follow a strict interpretation of the Montessori method, so be sure you understand the Montessori principles and are confident that it is the best way for your child. (Personally, it is great for my kids! However, I know there are some kids that just need a different approach.) There does seem to be some turnover among the assistant teachers, but the lead teachers in the Children's House (preschool program) are the best teachers anywhere. Not only do they develop great readers and thinkers, but also confident, independent, curious, and polite little people. These skills are useful in interactions throughout life, well beyond the school years. You will be amazed at what your 3-, 4-, or 5-year-old can do after a couple of years at this school!

Posted October 29, 2013
Both my children have been at this school since pre-school. My eldest graduated from 5th grade and today she is a very confident, well prepared, and above average High School student. My younger son is on the Elementary Program at Love of Learning and continues to strive performing above grade-level in Language, Math, Geography and Science. The foundation of the Spanish curriculum is strong, which was a very important factor for our family to continue to strengthen their native language, not only spoken, but the proper use of grammar and reading. I can t say enough great things about this school which nurtured my kids into independent, strong learners who can think and lead on their own.

Posted October 29, 2013
Academic Excellence * The most robust Montessori curriculum in the area. * Students are consistently 2 to 4 years ahead in math, reading and science than the national norm. * The Best and Brightest* Lead teachers are Montessori trained and qualified with an average of 10+years of teaching experience. * Fully equipped and intimate Montessori classrooms that offer more individualized attention. A Diverse & International Community* A community of teachers and parents from all over the United States, Caribbean, Europe, Asia, Africa, Central and South America. * The only school in Columbia with an intensive Foreign Language Program. In Kindergarten, our children begin to read and write in Spanish and continue increasing their comprehension and fluency so that by 6th grade, students can communicate comfortably with native Spanish speakers.

Posted August 06, 2013
While I think some of the teachers here are excellent, I think the administration at this particular school is less than professional. My kids attended one year here (2012-2013) and during that time, the director treated my family's concerns as an inconvenience, eventually telling us that if we complained one more time (valid security/teacher communication concerns) they'd cancel our contract. The worst part is that on one occasion, I came to pick up my 2-year-old daughter and they couldn't find her. While she was ok in the end, no one ever apologized or tried to fix a system that is clearly broken.

Love of Learning Montessori School
9151 Rumsey Rd. Ste 100, Columbia, MD  21045
Last modified Love of Learning Montessori School is a Private school that serves grades PK-6
Love of Learning Montessori School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 27 reviews. Top