No rating

Julia Brown Montessori School

Private | PK-3 | 128 students

Living in Columbia

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $280,100. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,400.

Sweep tile

Posted December 18, 2013

JBMS has a history of kicking out students on a whim for any reason. It happened to me and I don't want it to happen to you! I was left without daycare for two weeks and had to stay home from work until I found something for my child. I could do it, but others could lose their job! My BIG offense??-- I asked the beforecare teacher about what activities my child does in the morning. That one question got my daughter thrown out without warning or discussion. I was in disbelief. Then I read on here how they have done the same thing to so many children. They are complete wackos and should have their licensed revoked. I'm considering a lawsuit. Please don't send you child here. There is no stability or security for your child here!!

Posted August 22, 2013

I am very disappointed with the school. The concept of the school is not right for kids. It is just like a small prison. Parents are not allowed to talk to teachers directly which is ridiculous. The school cares their business much more than kids.

Posted April 17, 2013

I am a parent of two children one currently attending JBMS and one who has graduated. My family has been a part of the JBMS family since 2006 and we are very pleased to have chosen JBMS for our daughter s early education. My oldest daughter now 9, began attending JBMS at age 2. From the first day she absolutely loved it. We were new to the area and she was able to meet lots of friends and form bonds that are still tight today. The Montessori method of education was a perfect fit for my active and curious child. Being able to learn at her own pace was exactly what she needed. During the 6 years at JBMS she flourished. Now as a fourth grader in a public school she is doing excellent. She is on or above grade level in all subjects. She has a strong foundation, established at JBMS. My younger daughter age 2, is beginning the program for the first time this year. She is recognizing sounds, shapes and colors. More importantly at that age, are her manners. She is learning how to be polite, follow instructions and how to play effectively with her peers. Before choosing JBMS we toured other daycare facilities. None were as clean with such polite staff and well mannered children as JBMS.

Posted September 6, 2012

I am extremely impressed with JBMS. My daughter has been there a little less than a year and the staff has stayed consistent thus far. Every time I had an question or concern my I have never had an issue with speaking with anyone. My daughter is very excited when going to school and has made a lot of friends. I would have to agree with the other parents that if you are considering enrolling your child definitely do your research about the Montessori method because it's not for everyone. Please go visit the school yourself it's a very good school.

Posted December 6, 2011

My daughter has been attending the Columbia location for 2 years now. I've never seen the rudeness that people mention. One thing I don't like is all questions has to go the directress and not the teacher/assistant. My daughter (who is 4.5 now) has learned a lot over the last two years and especially under Ms America since Fall'11. I think the class size has fallen to about 15 from 25 last year and I think that has given a chance for the teacher to spend more time with the kids. My daughter's reading, counting, adding, singing has improved dramatically in the last 4 months. I gave 2 stars for the policy of not letting parents talk to teachers/assistants directly except for the bi-annual PT meeting. They also have two observing sessions a year where you watch your child but not interact with them during class hours. Also the fact that they serve Vegetarian lunch makes it convenient for us to let her eat at school once in a while as we are vegetarians. I might let my second daughter also attend JBMS if we are still in this area in another 2 years.

Posted August 29, 2011

I'm shocked at the negatives reviews and I believe many of these must not be for the Columbia location. We have been at JBMS in Columbia for three years and have had an extremely positive experience. We have had amazing communication with all staff members, to include receiving notification from the staff for every bump and scrape on the playground to having telephone messages promptly returned when we had a question. The Montessori approach may not be suitable for everyone and I would encourage anyone who plans to consider this school to read about the Montessori approach prior to visiting so you'll understand the environment and how it differs from "daycare".

Posted July 19, 2011

I've read through a number of reviews and I'm shocked by the comments. My daughter has been attending this school for 4 years now and is thriving in this challenging academic environment. I have had no problems communicating with teachers and/or the principal. My daughter is WAY above grade level in all subjects. In fact, parents who have switched schools regret their decision. This Montessori school stresses independent thinking and provides a challenging academic environment for its students.

Posted June 1, 2011

Posted May 27, 2011

The worst school in Maryland. The environment is prison-like and I can't figure out what the $1000 a month is for. My niece will NOT be attending!

Posted March 16, 2011

Seems to be a trend on this board and one I agree with, the management and turnover at JB Montessori is quite absurd. We met with 2 nice folk at Columbia's JB school in considering enrollment. When enrollment time came we found out both had been fired and a new soon to be on maternity leave replacement had been chosen. We are so glad we got our application declined and money back, since the school refused to take our phone calls. We were shocked to see so many like minded parents on this site. We can definitely recommend St. Mary's of the Mills and Pallotti Early Learning Center for your children, they have been very easy to work with over the years.

Posted March 13, 2011

This "montessori" school is more like a rigid daycare. The owners do not care about educating children. They run the school more like a dictatorship.The children are not allowed creative expression, they are trained to be "well behaved" robots. If you really care about your child's education then DO NOT send your them here!
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted February 16, 2011

I would not send my kid to this school if you want to find a caring school for your kid.

Posted February 10, 2011

I received a phone call on Monday dismissing my child from the Columbia school because I questioned the high turnover rate of the administrator position. We are on our 5th or 6th administrator in 1.5 yrs. I was told that Monday was his last day, we should pick up all his belongings and he is not to return to school the next day. He is nearly 4 yrs old and has been there for more than 1.5 yrs (since he was 2.5 yrs old) and has made a lot of friends. I had to explain to him that he did not do anything wrong, he is being expelled because they are mad at mommy. He does not understand why he cannot see his friends or favorite teacher anymore. Why dismiss a child in the middle of the school year and disrupt his schedule if your main interest is childhood education? Especially since he did nothing wrong! I am very disappointed. After reading the reviews below, I realize that there is a pattern of dismissing kids as desired at this school. The children should not have to suffer because the adults disagree.

Posted January 26, 2011

Please DO NOT enroll your child in this school. I recieved a phone call last night at 10:45 PM and was told my child could not return EVER and i was not to come pick up her belonings. My child only went here for 2.5 weeks. I had yet to meet her teacher and to see how she was doing, I am not an overprotective parent, but I think I should at least know my childs teacher. He said I was not to interact with anyone but the directress. They also sent my child home with a 99.1 tempurature last tuesday. She was in school for 2.5 weeks and never brought home an art project or anything. She isn't even 3 yet, she should clearly be doing something creative EVERYDAY. These are children that should be having fun, not programmed into little robots. Please take all of these reviews VERY seriously. I wish I would have known about this website BEFORE i enrolled my child. No one should be recieving phone calls at 10:45 p.m. that there child can't come back to school.

Posted January 12, 2011

I've read through all of the other reviews and would be remiss if I did not post. My children have been with JBMS for 5+ years now. Both are thriving academically and are happy. The environment at JBMS is nurturing for children to grow and learn. I can say that my children are almost 2 academic grades ahead in certain subjects and I attribute that to the teachers, etc. If either of my children are hurt, sick, whatever, the school calls and informs me. JBMS is absolutely open to parent involvment and communication. I can speak to any teacher, administrator or Julia Brown herself if I need to. Overall, JBMS is an OUTSTANDING school and I am sad that they only go to 3rd grade.

Posted January 11, 2011

Giving this school 1 start is and overstatement. WORST SCHOOL EVER!!! I am not sure how they are still in business. Its is a business only not a school. The owners are a disgrace to Montessori Education and should have their licensee taken away. PLEASE do your family a favor and remove your child from Julia Brown and never consider this a form of childcare/school. It makes me ill knowing what goes on in that environment.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted November 22, 2010

My daughter was expelled because I asked to be informed on the days when she didn't nap. They strongly discourage parent communication.

Posted November 19, 2010

The school itself was nice. I liked the uniforms. however... They kicked my child (almost 3 years old) out because when she said her finger got burned and the teacher put ice on it, I went back in to ask about it. I didn't believe it happened (and even told them that), but needed to follow up on what my daughter said. they called my wife 2 hours later and said she may not come back to school because we don't trust the school. We asked to meet and have a face to face, and the directory said there was no discussion. one other earlier incident happened, there was a small bump on her lip. the administrator at the school (ms. America) said if my daughter says anything or complains about pains, come ask/tell them immediately. so following her advice I did so when my daughter was telling what I almost completely believed was a story.

Posted August 12, 2010

I've read some of the other reviews listed and felt the need to comment as my 3 children all attended/attend JBMS and we absolutely love it! My oldest began before they had uniforms!! (began at age 2 continued through 3rd grade). The uniforms are worth not having to argue over clothing with your child - I personally love that they added it. When my oldest changed schools for 4th grade, the staff at her new school commented not only the educational level she was at, but also the type of student she was. JBMS not only taught her language, math, etc but how to be a good student (completing a task, courteous to others, etc) This is a wonderful school and I highly recommend it!

Posted July 12, 2010

We had our 5 year old and twin 3 year olds in the school. only one of the teachers was very good and caring. the owner is very pretentious. the management staff is very uncommunicative and non cooperative. I had to ask permission to talk to any of the teachers and was "reprimanded" and told to stop when I talked to my son's teacher. the teacher turnover is very very very high. my twins teachers weren't very attentive, I had to ask several times to pay attention to them and that they are doing the same work for over a month every day. they weren't learning anything. In Howard county all the pre-schools are full and thus the owners here don't really care about the kids, just make money. I wouldn't put my kids there.

Asian 44% N/A

Affiliation
  • Nonsectarian
Associations
  • AMS

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Montessori

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

9760 Owen Brown Road