Columbia, MD
Before care: Yes

Guilford Elementary School 4

Posted March 08, 2013
Overall, I think Guilford is a great school for our child. The teachers are engaged and communicative. The leadership seems to be as well. If I have a complaint, it's that I'd like to see more parent involvement, both in the PTA and on a volunteer basis. Too often, I see the same twenty faces at every function. And, this in a school with well over 400 students. We're perfectly happy with our child going here.

Guilford Elementary School 4

Posted February 06, 2013
I'm confused by some of these reviews. In some regards, school is what you make of it. My child has had great teachers at Guilford. They're responsive when I make inquiries; they meet whenever I ask them to. We have lots of parent involvment and lots of opportunities to nurture a love of learning.

Guilford Elementary School 1

Posted May 12, 2012
Do not go here! My first year in Howard public schools, and I am deeply disappointed. This school does not live up to the "Howard County has great schools" reputation!

Posted February 03, 2012
PROS: - Staff is nice - Cafeteria menu shows a nice range of selections and healthy options - PTA - Car rider drop off is nicely handled - Parent involvement (I see lots of parents volunteering) - General communication via newsletter - Bridges Program CONS: - My child's teacher barely communicates with parents and can be unresponsive (this is my biggest issue, it's like pulling teeth) - I had to teach my child how to count money, name the planets and their order, and how to add and subtract. This may be more to do with the curriculum than the school. My frustration is with the lack of math and science. My child gets more information about nutrition and the environment than math. - Too much emphasis in arts & crafts. My child does art/craft projects in his regular class and has art class. - My child reads above grade level and already knows how to add and subtract. My expectation of public school is that those children "above" grade level will be given more challenging work. That is not happening. This is our first year at Guilford. One particular teacher is below average. The school overall is good. What I do commend is that school tries to improve.

Posted January 24, 2011
My child has gotten bullied at GES. I like the school but the children need discipline and the teachers need to do something

Posted April 27, 2010
After reading some of the reviews, I would like to give more transparency regarding GES. Guildford is a great school. They have so many extra curricular activities (band, orchestra, sports), you have to deliberately not involve your child. There are so many tools supplied by GES and Howard County Schools to enhance the education of my son it is refreshing. My son has been a student there for the past 3 years. Are all the teachers candidates for 'teacher of the year', no, but they are above average. You find me a school that does and you will lose all credibility. My son is in GT and excels because of my involvement in his studies. He could go to Mount Boogidy Boogidy Elementary and it wouldn t matter. This is the key element many parents overlook. Turn of the TV, stay out of Target, and shut down the Blackberry. Get involved!

Posted March 27, 2009

Posted February 24, 2009
My child was encouraged and challenged, grewing from a non-English speaker in Pre-K to First grade level in both Math and English, while still being in Kindergarden. Both Pre-K and K teachers are outstanding and there is a lot of collaboration between teachers. The staff and the parents support many extracurricular activities to which my child paticipates with enthusiasm.

Posted February 22, 2009
Considering the number of ESL students and special needs students, the faculty of this school really shines! I have two children in this school who are challenged, and happy. Great Job Guildford ES Teachers and Staff!

Guilford Elementary School 0

Posted November 22, 2008
I tried Guildford for one year and it was ok. Lots of discipline issues with certain kids. I am not sure if the teachers can do anything though. My daughter loves to learn, and wants to learn, but she has to sit in class with kids who are not disciplined and are out of control. I attempted to have her stay through first grade, but I have decided to remove her now since these are crucial years in learning. The elementary years are important in solidifying the foundation of your child's education. I do not believe Guildford would be able to provide what my daughter needs to take her forward and beyond. I am opting out of Guildford for private school.

Guilford Elementary School
7335 Oakland Mills Rd, Columbia, MD  21046
Last modified Guilford Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Guilford Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 15 reviews. Top