Posted October 08, 2014
Longfellow is a great school with talented teachers and administrators. The atmosphere is welcoming and engaging. My children are fortunate to attend Longfellow.

Posted July 17, 2014
I really cannot say enough good things about this school and wish that others could look past the 'issues' that lead to this school receiving a mediocre rating. Test scores aren't everything and your child will receive a quality education in one of the best counties in the nation if your kids has a desire to learn. Unlike many others, we were seeking a school that would be socioeconomically diverse so that our children could gain from the experiences of others with different backgrounds. Longfellow has so many resources for all students with it's Title 1 status that truly benefit all kids. If your child struggles in an area, chances are they have the ability to provide a one-on-one tutor. Student to teacher ratio is low, leadership is highly skilled and there is a friendly, non-pretentious vibe that we appreciate. Any of the PTA events we have attended have been excellent and communication is top-notch. There are some behavior issues with a select group of the students but administration handles those issues effectively.

Posted October 02, 2013
I am currently serving a 2nd term as PTA President at Longfellow and cannot say enough great things about this school. The administration, staff and teachers are among the best in the County and our diverse group of families makes our school very special. Our PTA supports a number of cultural arts programs, after school activities, and family events. Our FARM rate is over 30% but I think the resources we get as a result make us a stronger school. Volunteering at Longfellow has been an absolute honor and privilege.

Posted June 25, 2013
Longfellow is a great school with a warm and supportive learning environment. The presence of a diverse student body is an added bonus.

Posted October 28, 2012
Wonderful neighborhood school that is thriving under new administration! Staff is really fantastic this year - engaged and talented. PTA could be stronger, but those that are involved work overtime to make up for some lack of parent participation. Student body is diverse and a good representation of entire community. I'm a proud LoES parent!

Longfellow Elementary School 4

Posted July 19, 2011
Generally the staff is good - half the teachers appear to be very good while the others are average. Most teachers make an honest effort towards teaching. Hoever, there is this one math teacher that I was not too impressed with. This teacher appeared to go through the motions and did not seem to be too interested in developing good math skills in students. Overall the students are not challenged. For eg. homework is often not given or when it is given it is too easy. The reason given to me was that the teachers did not want to dishearten the students. I also happened to attend a Longfellow music program held at the Centenniel HS auditorium. The behavior of some kids (I'm not sure if they were connected to Longfellow) at the back of the auditorium in the audience was deplorable. It took a parent in one of the seats in front of me to sternly confront the kids by telling them that what they were doing was not funny before the kids stopped. In my opinion, with a few corrections and improvements this school would be a 5 star.

Posted April 13, 2010

Posted April 13, 2010

Longfellow Elementary School 3

Posted October 15, 2008
In recent years (approximately over the last 3), LES has lost an essential component of its success. That component is the quality of some of its educators. Understanding that every organization encompasses a microcosm of society, educators should represent the best in our society. The overall aspiration for academic success and dedication, as was evident in previous years, has been replaced with a culture of complacency and apathy. Over time, I am confident that the current principle will recognize these deficiencies and take action to help LES return to its fundamental objectives and thus reclaim its success.

Posted October 05, 2008
You can't go wrong at Longfellow. The teachers truly look out for each child and help them to succeed at their own pace. The teachers really know the students and expect greatness from all. Everyone at Longfellow is like another parent to my own children. It is nice to know so many people look out for my children. As a educator in Howard County, my children are getting a great education at Longfellow and I wouldn't want them anywhere else.

Longfellow Elementary School
5470 Hesperus Dr, Columbia, MD  21044
Last modified Longfellow Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Longfellow Elementary School Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 19 reviews. Top