Bad
Good

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

Not only are the teachers excellent at Longfellow, but it is also a Title 1 school, which means the school gets extra funding. The administration, wisely, has used funds to hire additional professional staff to reduce the class sizes even further. My son's reading class has 16 students in it! I believe his math class is only at 18... This is very different than some schools in HoCo with 30-35 students in a single math class!

Longfellow has been such a wonderful fit for my child and our family! The school is newly renovated and looks great! The teachers are amazing! They work so hard for the students and are very knowledgeable. I am an educator as well, so I can confidently say that each teacher I've had the pleasure of meeting at Longfellow ES, has impressed me! The PTA is not as big as those in some of the other schools in HoCo, but they work very hard and support many in and after-school programs, host festivals, picnics, and fun runs for the community throughout the year, and do a fantastic job of supporting the staff with classroom funds and food! The most amazing thing about LoES, though, is the community of students and families. My son has been fortunate enough to not only be challenged in his classes (they DO have excellerated math classes starting in Kindergarten for those people who are worried about GT/enrichment opportunities, etc), but to also become friends with a diverse group of children. It truly is what My husband and I always wanted for my children's education and I'm so glad we found LoES. I can't wait for my two younger children to attend in a couple of years!

Longfellow is awesome!! The staff, teachers, and paraeducators are on top of it. A previous review stated they need more math and more focus on above average students. Agreed, however, there are pre g/t programs available, and students could be promoted to the next level. There are many great programs in every subject level. Unfortunately, great schools rating is lazy- and merely an approximation using only subjective criteria.

Longfellow has dedicated teachers and a lot of after school activities and events. The guidance counselor is wonderful and so are many support staff. The school needs improvement in math and more opportunities for average and above average students to excel. Parents should be more involved; the school used to have more interaction but now it seems more restrictive by limiting when parents can come in. Some class sizes seem too large with more in room help needed especially in classes with behavior issues and other learning needs.

Longfellow is a great school with talented teachers and administrators. The atmosphere is welcoming and engaging. My children are fortunate to attend Longfellow.

I really cannot say enough good things about this school and wish that others could look past the 'issues' that lead to this school receiving a mediocre rating. Test scores aren't everything and your child will receive a quality education in one of the best counties in the nation if your kids has a desire to learn. Unlike many others, we were seeking a school that would be socioeconomically diverse so that our children could gain from the experiences of others with different backgrounds. Longfellow has so many resources for all students with it's Title 1 status that truly benefit all kids. If your child struggles in an area, chances are they have the ability to provide a one-on-one tutor. Student to teacher ratio is low, leadership is highly skilled and there is a friendly, non-pretentious vibe that we appreciate. Any of the PTA events we have attended have been excellent and communication is top-notch. There are some behavior issues with a select group of the students but administration handles those issues effectively.

I am currently serving a 2nd term as PTA President at Longfellow and cannot say enough great things about this school. The administration, staff and teachers are among the best in the County and our diverse group of families makes our school very special. Our PTA supports a number of cultural arts programs, after school activities, and family events. Our FARM rate is over 30% but I think the resources we get as a result make us a stronger school. Volunteering at Longfellow has been an absolute honor and privilege.

Longfellow is a great school with a warm and supportive learning environment. The presence of a diverse student body is an added bonus.

Wonderful neighborhood school that is thriving under new administration! Staff is really fantastic this year - engaged and talented. PTA could be stronger, but those that are involved work overtime to make up for some lack of parent participation. Student body is diverse and a good representation of entire community. I'm a proud LoES parent!

Generally the staff is good - half the teachers appear to be very good while the others are average. Most teachers make an honest effort towards teaching. Hoever, there is this one math teacher that I was not too impressed with. This teacher appeared to go through the motions and did not seem to be too interested in developing good math skills in students. Overall the students are not challenged. For eg. homework is often not given or when it is given it is too easy. The reason given to me was that the teachers did not want to dishearten the students. I also happened to attend a Longfellow music program held at the Centenniel HS auditorium. The behavior of some kids (I'm not sure if they were connected to Longfellow) at the back of the auditorium in the audience was deplorable. It took a parent in one of the seats in front of me to sternly confront the kids by telling them that what they were doing was not funny before the kids stopped. In my opinion, with a few corrections and improvements this school would be a 5 star.

Last modified Longfellow Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.