Phelps Luck Elementary School

Public | PK-5

Posted Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Wonderful school that needs to be rated higher! I have two children at this school, and I think they are getting an excellent education. The teachers are wonderfully supportive, the administration is stellar, and the community around the school is inviting. Whenever someone comments about our school's ratings, I tell them that they are simply too low. If you are looking to move into the area, I highly recommend it.

Posted January 4, 2014

We have had three children attend PLES (the youngest will graduate in 2014). We can't say enough positive things about this school. The current principal is fantastic, and the teachers and staff are wonderful. The PTA is active, and are involved in a variety of activities. This neighborhood is a hidden gem, given the relatively low housing costs, when compared to some nearby upscale neighborhoods. We have found that our children remain top of their class as they continue to middle school (Bonnie Branch) and high school (Howard). I would say that the PLES educators have done an amazing job preparing our children both academically and socially. And the part that I think is invaluable - is the cultural diversity of friendships they have developed while at PLES. As our family income grew, we were financially able to move to a different neighborhood. However, we chose to stay at PLES and have been pleased with this decision!!! Welcome to the neighborhood!

Posted June 11, 2013

My son is just about to complete 5th grade at PLES. He has attended PLES since Kindergarten. This school has been absolutely phenomenal! Every single teacher he has had, from Kindergarten through 5th grade, has been awesome! I can't say enough about their genuine efforts, dedication, and individual attention to each and every one of their students. The curriculum is always current for teaching methods and lessons. The interaction and communication between parents, the school, and the teachers are extremely open. Events at the school are well planned, and parents are always actively invited to participate. The PTA is great! In addition, we have had a special education plan in place for our son, and we have been so impressed with the level of dedication and concern for his quality of education. Plus, the school's new principal is doing a fabulous job. Every staff member that we have dealt with over the last six years have taken their job seriously, and gave 100% plus of their time to ensure that our son was taken care of. If an issue arose, it was always addressed right away. I can't say enough about PLES. This school is a "10" in our book! - TC

Posted May 28, 2013

Phelps Luck Elementary School has been a great experience for my two kids. We feel like they are getting the education they deserve. The school has been under construction but that should be completed this Summer. They added more classrooms, closed up all the pods to make individual classrooms, expanded the parking lot and will expand the media center to make it bigger. Most of the portables will be removed once the construction is completed. The Principal makes it a high priority to set the student/teacher ratio to about 21 per classroom. He has even brought in more teachers to stay around that number. The PTA is actively involved and has the support of the teachers and the Administration. The Principal backs all the PTA functions, like Science Fair and Bingo night. This school was recently redistricted and will have approximately 165 less kids next year.

Posted January 25, 2013

CHECK MSA TEST SCORES BEFORE CONSIDER THIS SCHOOL!!! I am sending my 3 kids to PLES and not really satisfied with academic programs and some teachers. Compared to other schools in Howard county, the students are not academically challenged, not enough homeworks are given and no adequate feedbacks from some teachers. I have to supplement extra workbooks at home to be challenged and to prepare for the middle school. Check out their MSA test scores for science 45% vs 67% state avg for 5th grade in 2011!!! EVEN BELOW STATE AVERAGE!!!

Posted October 11, 2012

School curriculum is horrible! School started since the end of August. It is now October and my child just started receiving homework. I feel as if students are not learning much. This is my youngest second year in this school and, hopefully the last. The test scores explain a lot. I would not recommend this school. You're better off teaching your child yourself.

Posted June 27, 2012

Phelps Luck is a very nice school. The teachers and staff are welcoming and friendly. They encourage parent participation. The front office administration is organized and helpful if you call with questions. I find it truly significant and noteworthy that the school leaders make regular rounds visiting the classrooms and talking with students throughout the day at all grade levels. The PTA is active. The school hosts a variety of different actcivities for students and their families throughout the school year. Currently, the school is under construction, which means lots of portables and absolutely no parking. In the long term, the construction will pay off as this area in Howard County continues to grow. Not sure if anything can be done about the parking, but it certainly should be reviewed by county leadership.

Posted March 21, 2012

The Great school rating is wrong. My child is thriving in this school and every teacher she has had has gone above and beyond for her and her classmates. The new principal has done a great job. His staff and students come first. I am proud to say that my child attends PLES.

Posted January 29, 2011

Someteachers are great. Principal has hidden behind an awesome asst principal, but now that AP is gone and I have dealt with the principal and seen what she is about. She dismisses parental concerns with the stating staff "are the experts" on my child. If you are unfortunate to have a teacher who follows the principals lead, your child may be in a bad situation. It is luck of the draw on what teacher you get and you do not have an administrator interested in ensuring the safety or wellbeing of the children. Because I had previously dealt only with the asst principal, and had minimal needs, in the past years I would have said this school was good. This principal seems to have no compassion or concern for the children. A couple examples- no contact to the family of childen in her school when their baby passed away or concern when a child is so upset that they don't want to go to school. I strongly recommend parents observe and ask for examples of what staff is doing for your child, rather than simply accept what is stated due to integrity issues. If I knew what I know now, with the current adminstration, I would not buy a house in this district.

Posted May 5, 2010

Teachers and administrators are great and we have been very pleased with our son's progress at Phelps Luck.

Posted June 14, 2009

The teachers are wonderful and the school has programs for the slow learners, average learners and the gifted learners.

Posted March 23, 2009

hello,teachers,parents and students iam a parent of three boys that attend phelps luck i have a 10 year old a 7 and a 6 year old very good kids who love there new school me being a over the top parent for excellence for my children i actually fell in love with this school the school counselor ms graham is excellent the assistant principal ms leader is excellent never really had direct contact with the principal the entire staff is good exspecially ms seldom ms smith and ms stout so keep it up phelps luck.

Posted February 15, 2008

Administration is on board with the kids'. I've seen extra effort given to the kids that need it. I feel the test scores don't accurately show the 'real' school. There is a population of 'transient' kids, so they don't test well. They either leave before testing or start school in the middle of the year, so they don't learn everything they need for the test. Very happy with my kids' education-3rd is about to start.

Posted November 1, 2007

My son went to Swansfield from kindergarten to the 2nd grade. It did take him awhile to adjust to Phelps luck, Ms McCoy made it so easy for my baby. Now hes in the 4th grade and loves the school, he thinks his teacher Ms Emond is great and fun, he loves music because of Miss Rose.Phelps Luck is a great school, sure its had its bumps but what school has'nt. He is getting more involved in things at school , hes in the recycling bunch and i think that's a great start. The staff from what I have seen really do care and you should have seen the attendance on back to school night, it was great.

Posted October 6, 2007

I have been a student at Phelps Luck since Pre Kindergarden and the teachers are so kind and caring to you.
—Submitted by a student

Posted February 9, 2007

I was shocked to read the bad reviews of this school. My son is in Mrs. Koza's first grade class, and I have been extremely thrilled with the quality of time the teachers spend with each student. My son was behind in reading and was invited to participate in a new program that has increased his reading and his trust in his teachers. It is true that the schools with predominantly white students score better than those with varied races in the DC/Baltimore area. I can only speculate that those areas are the most expensive and therefore pay more in taxes to provide better equipment and higher pay for their teachers. This is a great school that continues to improve. Rich snobs shouldn't give it a bad rap because it isn't a private school. The teachers and faculty care, and you can't buy that.

Posted February 6, 2007

My daughter started at PL after a long-distance move. I worried about the adjustment and the comments on this sight. After reading the negative comments I looked at private schools but decided to give this one a chance. After putting her into a summer program that turned out awful I was even more hesitant, the kids were terrible and the there was no supervision. I'm glad I gave Phelps Luck a chance. Adjusting to the area was harder for her then adjusting to her new school. My daughter was terrified to start a new school and I kept a very close eye on her and the school . The kindergarten staff is exceptional. My daughter loves going school now and is learning so quickly it's hard for me to keep up.

Posted November 17, 2005

There are better schools in Baltimore City! I am not happy with this school and my child will not attend this school next year. I may have to pay for a private school next year, but it will not be done without a protest. This is an expensive area, but my children are getting a low budget education.

Posted June 10, 2005

As a parent, I am extremely dissapointed and dissatisfied with this schools' curriculum or lack thereof, as well as the lack of a clear vision for the students. The test scores are horrible when compared to other schools in the howard county school system. We moved here thinkin this school system was superior to any other county in Maryland. We were shocked and dissapointed to learn that unless your children attend schools like Centennial, Ilchester or Northfield to name a few, then your child is not getting the same education. Howard County is an expensive area to live and its a crying shame that unless you live in the most expensive, mostly white areas and so called elite sections of Howard county; you have to settle for inferior schools.

Math

The state average for Math was 82% in 2013.

89 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 83% in 2013.

89 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 89% in 2013.

103 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 88% in 2013.

103 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 81% in 2013.

109 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 88% in 2013.

109 students were tested at this school in 2013.

>=95%
Science

The state average for Science was 67% in 2013.

108 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 8% 6%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 49%N/A42%

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Targeted Assistance program (TAS)

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

5370 Oldstone Ct