Columbia, MD
Before care: Yes

Posted September 16, 2014
Wonderful school that needs to be rated higher! I have two children at this school, and I think they are getting an excellent education. The teachers are wonderfully supportive, the administration is stellar, and the community around the school is inviting. Whenever someone comments about our school's ratings, I tell them that they are simply too low. If you are looking to move into the area, I highly recommend it.

Posted January 04, 2014
We have had three children attend PLES (the youngest will graduate in 2014). We can't say enough positive things about this school. The current principal is fantastic, and the teachers and staff are wonderful. The PTA is active, and are involved in a variety of activities. This neighborhood is a hidden gem, given the relatively low housing costs, when compared to some nearby upscale neighborhoods. We have found that our children remain top of their class as they continue to middle school (Bonnie Branch) and high school (Howard). I would say that the PLES educators have done an amazing job preparing our children both academically and socially. And the part that I think is invaluable - is the cultural diversity of friendships they have developed while at PLES. As our family income grew, we were financially able to move to a different neighborhood. However, we chose to stay at PLES and have been pleased with this decision!!! Welcome to the neighborhood!

Posted June 11, 2013
My son is just about to complete 5th grade at PLES. He has attended PLES since Kindergarten. This school has been absolutely phenomenal! Every single teacher he has had, from Kindergarten through 5th grade, has been awesome! I can't say enough about their genuine efforts, dedication, and individual attention to each and every one of their students. The curriculum is always current for teaching methods and lessons. The interaction and communication between parents, the school, and the teachers are extremely open. Events at the school are well planned, and parents are always actively invited to participate. The PTA is great! In addition, we have had a special education plan in place for our son, and we have been so impressed with the level of dedication and concern for his quality of education. Plus, the school's new principal is doing a fabulous job. Every staff member that we have dealt with over the last six years have taken their job seriously, and gave 100% plus of their time to ensure that our son was taken care of. If an issue arose, it was always addressed right away. I can't say enough about PLES. This school is a "10" in our book! - TC

Phelps Luck Elementary School 4

Posted May 28, 2013
Phelps Luck Elementary School has been a great experience for my two kids. We feel like they are getting the education they deserve. The school has been under construction but that should be completed this Summer. They added more classrooms, closed up all the pods to make individual classrooms, expanded the parking lot and will expand the media center to make it bigger. Most of the portables will be removed once the construction is completed. The Principal makes it a high priority to set the student/teacher ratio to about 21 per classroom. He has even brought in more teachers to stay around that number. The PTA is actively involved and has the support of the teachers and the Administration. The Principal backs all the PTA functions, like Science Fair and Bingo night. This school was recently redistricted and will have approximately 165 less kids next year.

Phelps Luck Elementary School 1

Posted January 25, 2013
CHECK MSA TEST SCORES BEFORE CONSIDER THIS SCHOOL!!! I am sending my 3 kids to PLES and not really satisfied with academic programs and some teachers. Compared to other schools in Howard county, the students are not academically challenged, not enough homeworks are given and no adequate feedbacks from some teachers. I have to supplement extra workbooks at home to be challenged and to prepare for the middle school. Check out their MSA test scores for science 45% vs 67% state avg for 5th grade in 2011!!! EVEN BELOW STATE AVERAGE!!!

Phelps Luck Elementary School 2

Posted October 11, 2012
School curriculum is horrible! School started since the end of August. It is now October and my child just started receiving homework. I feel as if students are not learning much. This is my youngest second year in this school and, hopefully the last. The test scores explain a lot. I would not recommend this school. You're better off teaching your child yourself.

Phelps Luck Elementary School 4

Posted June 27, 2012
Phelps Luck is a very nice school. The teachers and staff are welcoming and friendly. They encourage parent participation. The front office administration is organized and helpful if you call with questions. I find it truly significant and noteworthy that the school leaders make regular rounds visiting the classrooms and talking with students throughout the day at all grade levels. The PTA is active. The school hosts a variety of different actcivities for students and their families throughout the school year. Currently, the school is under construction, which means lots of portables and absolutely no parking. In the long term, the construction will pay off as this area in Howard County continues to grow. Not sure if anything can be done about the parking, but it certainly should be reviewed by county leadership.

Posted March 21, 2012
The Great school rating is wrong. My child is thriving in this school and every teacher she has had has gone above and beyond for her and her classmates. The new principal has done a great job. His staff and students come first. I am proud to say that my child attends PLES.

Phelps Luck Elementary School 2

Posted January 29, 2011
Someteachers are great. Principal has hidden behind an awesome asst principal, but now that AP is gone and I have dealt with the principal and seen what she is about. She dismisses parental concerns with the stating staff "are the experts" on my child. If you are unfortunate to have a teacher who follows the principals lead, your child may be in a bad situation. It is luck of the draw on what teacher you get and you do not have an administrator interested in ensuring the safety or wellbeing of the children. Because I had previously dealt only with the asst principal, and had minimal needs, in the past years I would have said this school was good. This principal seems to have no compassion or concern for the children. A couple examples- no contact to the family of childen in her school when their baby passed away or concern when a child is so upset that they don't want to go to school. I strongly recommend parents observe and ask for examples of what staff is doing for your child, rather than simply accept what is stated due to integrity issues. If I knew what I know now, with the current adminstration, I would not buy a house in this district.

Posted May 05, 2010
Teachers and administrators are great and we have been very pleased with our son's progress at Phelps Luck.

Phelps Luck Elementary School
5370 Oldstone Ct, Columbia, MD  21045
Last modified Phelps Luck Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Phelps Luck Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 27 reviews. Top