Teacher effectiveness: Very effective

Posted June 10, 2015
The teachers are outstanding. They work with the children above and beyond what is usually expected.

Develops empathy: Strongly agree

Posted June 10, 2015
The children are encouraged to work together and support each other in all areas. All cultures are respected and celebrated.

Develops honesty: Strongly agree

Posted June 10, 2015
The teachers and Administrators are role models for the students in these areas. It is a multicultural school with vast economic diversity and the teachers respect and support all students regardless of their ethnic or economic status.

Posted June 10, 2015
it's time to remove the 2011 reviews. They do not reflect the current administration of the school or the teachers. The principal is one of the most committed and caring school administrators I have ever run into. He know all the children by name and has introduced a new and innovative curriculum into the school. The children have an opportunity to learn a language- Spanish- as well as a musical instrument along with a strong math, social science and English program. There are plenty of opportunities for students in the GT and AP programs. The school reflects the multicultural nature and economic diversity of the community and the administration and teachers recognize and support each child. Phelps Lunch is an outstanding elementary school

Posted January 29, 2015
My three grandchildren attend Phelps Luck Elementary school Their mother, my daughter, attended the school when she was a child. It is an outstanding school that offers foreign languages,art, music, including musical instrument education, in addition to an excellent math program, science, and the liberal arts . The teachers are exceptional and really care about the children. The curriculum is equal to any at private schools. The Principal appears to know every child at the school as well as their parents. The students as well as the faculty are representative of the community which is diverse and multicultural; as a result the children learn about many cultures and customs. This school should be rated much higher than a six out of 10.

Posted September 16, 2014
Wonderful school that needs to be rated higher! I have two children at this school, and I think they are getting an excellent education. The teachers are wonderfully supportive, the administration is stellar, and the community around the school is inviting. Whenever someone comments about our school's ratings, I tell them that they are simply too low. If you are looking to move into the area, I highly recommend it.

Posted January 04, 2014
We have had three children attend PLES (the youngest will graduate in 2014). We can't say enough positive things about this school. The current principal is fantastic, and the teachers and staff are wonderful. The PTA is active, and are involved in a variety of activities. This neighborhood is a hidden gem, given the relatively low housing costs, when compared to some nearby upscale neighborhoods. We have found that our children remain top of their class as they continue to middle school (Bonnie Branch) and high school (Howard). I would say that the PLES educators have done an amazing job preparing our children both academically and socially. And the part that I think is invaluable - is the cultural diversity of friendships they have developed while at PLES. As our family income grew, we were financially able to move to a different neighborhood. However, we chose to stay at PLES and have been pleased with this decision!!! Welcome to the neighborhood!

Posted June 11, 2013
My son is just about to complete 5th grade at PLES. He has attended PLES since Kindergarten. This school has been absolutely phenomenal! Every single teacher he has had, from Kindergarten through 5th grade, has been awesome! I can't say enough about their genuine efforts, dedication, and individual attention to each and every one of their students. The curriculum is always current for teaching methods and lessons. The interaction and communication between parents, the school, and the teachers are extremely open. Events at the school are well planned, and parents are always actively invited to participate. The PTA is great! In addition, we have had a special education plan in place for our son, and we have been so impressed with the level of dedication and concern for his quality of education. Plus, the school's new principal is doing a fabulous job. Every staff member that we have dealt with over the last six years have taken their job seriously, and gave 100% plus of their time to ensure that our son was taken care of. If an issue arose, it was always addressed right away. I can't say enough about PLES. This school is a "10" in our book! - TC

Phelps Luck Elementary School 4

Posted May 28, 2013
Phelps Luck Elementary School has been a great experience for my two kids. We feel like they are getting the education they deserve. The school has been under construction but that should be completed this Summer. They added more classrooms, closed up all the pods to make individual classrooms, expanded the parking lot and will expand the media center to make it bigger. Most of the portables will be removed once the construction is completed. The Principal makes it a high priority to set the student/teacher ratio to about 21 per classroom. He has even brought in more teachers to stay around that number. The PTA is actively involved and has the support of the teachers and the Administration. The Principal backs all the PTA functions, like Science Fair and Bingo night. This school was recently redistricted and will have approximately 165 less kids next year.

Phelps Luck Elementary School 1

Posted January 25, 2013
CHECK MSA TEST SCORES BEFORE CONSIDER THIS SCHOOL!!! I am sending my 3 kids to PLES and not really satisfied with academic programs and some teachers. Compared to other schools in Howard county, the students are not academically challenged, not enough homeworks are given and no adequate feedbacks from some teachers. I have to supplement extra workbooks at home to be challenged and to prepare for the middle school. Check out their MSA test scores for science 45% vs 67% state avg for 5th grade in 2011!!! EVEN BELOW STATE AVERAGE!!!

5370 Oldstone Ct, Columbia, MD  21045
Last modified Phelps Luck Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Phelps Luck Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 35 reviews. Top