Wilde Lake Middle School

Public | 6-8

Posted August 19, 2014

I read the review posted below on July 27, 2014 and wondered for a minute if I wrote it. That was exactly our experience and now we are now sending our child to private school for 7th & 8th grades despite living in Howard County with this "wonderful school system". In my opinion, the primary issue was a total lack of leadership. The principal was as unengaged as any I have come across. She did not attend school events, return phone calls, or get involved when issues came up. She has no business being in this role. With a strong leader, many of the issues at WLMS could be overcome. I'd be interested to see statistics on how many kids start at WLMS and leave for private school. I feel badly for the kids who do not have the option to leave.

Posted July 27, 2014

I would not advise sending your child to this school if you have any choice in the matter. It is a dangerous place where my son was bullied and nothing was done about it even after written complaints and a filed report. Part of the problem is about 40% of the student population, which is a rough, violent crowd that is not or cannot be controlled by the staff. The other problem is that most teachers have given up on the students. My son will be going to a private school after 7th grade so that he can catch up, recover, and be ready for high school. I never felt that my son was safe at WLMS. It was a very stressful environment for him.

Posted April 25, 2014

I like Wilde Lake Middle School I can't wait to go there yes I'm a 5th grader who is going to Wilde lake soon. Although You have to take 7 classes it's awesome. Wilde Lake Middle School is unique that's what I really like about it . Another school you may like is Running Brook Elementary School.

Posted February 21, 2014

Go to the test scores tab above and look at the 6th grade and 8th grade scores. You will see the trend of score decreasing as children matriculate through this school. This downward trend from start to finish says it all. The staff is too worried about controlling bad behavior and if your child is a minority, watch out ---he/she will automatically be "labelled" as a trouble-maker (demonstrating the lazy-minded mentality of the administration -- who ironically are minorities themselves). I had my son transferred (after fighting for 2-years) to Clarksville Middle School and have found the learning environment to be the polar opposite of WLMS. The byproduct of spending nearly 3-years at WLMS is that he is now FAR behind his peers at CMS (but at least we escaped Alcatraz). Glad that WLMS is now in my rear view mirror...don't make a mistake and fail to research this school (unfortunately like I did, relying solely on the reputation of Howard County). I may have to reclassify my son back to the 8th grade due to the academic "damage" done by having him in this horrible and "radioactive" learning environment.

Posted February 20, 2014

WLMS is an underrated school, particularly for kids who take lots of GT classes. Teachers are excellent and dedicated, on the whole. Sure, there are a lot of students in the school who get subsidized lunches, but it will certainly not hurt more privileged kids to meet classmates who were not as fortunate. We know of several parents who opted to pay for private school because they were afraid of the school's reputation for discipline problems. In our experience, that was a waste of money. WLMS provides a good education in a safe environment.

Posted June 4, 2012

I am a parent of a student that will be progressing to high school from WLMS this year. I love Wilde Lake. The teachers and administration really care about the children. There have been some social issues just like in other schools; however, they were all immediately addressed. My daughter did very well at this school, and the diversity is awesome. I see the Great School score is a 6 and this is based mainly on standarized testing. Now, that's another topic of discussion by many. My child, as well as her friends did quite well at this school and their test scores were above average. We are preparing for WLHS in the fall. I believe that WLMS gave her what she needed to be ready for high school and layed the foundation for college in 4 years. This school is not a bad choice. Raise your children at home, and stay involved with the administration and your child will do great at WLMS.

Posted July 26, 2011

My son is new to Wilde Lake and is on an IEP for a previous ADHD diagnosis and mood disorder. The Special Education staff are very involved and the teachers very supportive of his educational needs. We did not experience much bullying either which is a plus given the population they serve. I feel my son gets the help he needs and would recommend this school to anyone.

Posted July 5, 2011

The problem at WLMS is more the student population than the teachers and administrators. I have met many very dedicated and hard working teachers at this school. The principal and vice principal and guidance counselors are all doing their part to try to make the school a positive learning environment. Unfortunately, we do not feel that the school is a safe environment for our children. Our child was the victim of bullying at this school and was choked by a peer during a class activity. He has also witnessed violent attacks on other students and overheard a lot of language that made him feel uncomfortable. This papast year a girl was expelled for beating another girl with a belt- it was at least her 3rd attack on another child during the school year.

Posted December 11, 2009

I love WLMS my teachers are highlariouse they make me understand. WLMS also has super kids my friends all make easy to make 8th grade next year I enjoy wilde lake and I DON'T want to leave

Posted December 3, 2009

I have to be honest I went to the school when it was going through its rough times and I am now in the 8th grade with the new principal and I can say to anyone the it is a safe good and well put together school. Students including parents cannot decide that it is a bad school based on the actions in the past. We are working to exceed the low expectations that were set on the school by others. You now cannot not judge the school without seeing the steps we are taking to come out of the bad times and finally get the respect that the school now deserves.

Posted October 23, 2009

I have just moved to Columbia. I have been very impressed with the staff and administration at this school. I would recommend this school.

Posted June 23, 2009

As all schools in Howard County must try to reach the high level of excellence that is expected from reputation, Wilde Lake will continue to struggle until parents dedicate themselves to be more involved with their child's education and insist that needs be met. There is a great amount of talent and dedication in the staff that combined with parental involvement is invaluable to educating in this age group.

Posted June 11, 2009

WLMS is an excellent school, with a talented and dedicated group of teachers. I have sent 3 children through the school, and if given an opportunity to chose an alternative school, would decline. Every school has specific issues to be addressed, and WLMS is no different. The diverse population has been a tremendous benefit to my older kids, who credit WLMS and the high school with affording them the opportunity of learning to work and relate to those with different backgrounds. The students are challenged and encouraged on a daily basis.

Posted May 26, 2009

I think this school needs lots of work. The principal leadership is poor, as well as student behavior. There is also little discipline

Posted May 22, 2009

I am a student that went to Wilde Lake Middle School last year and I miss going there SO SO SO much! The teachers are VERY friendly and the school is WONDERFUL. I thank the world for having wlms with out that school I would be going to a bad school somewhere else. I LOVE WLMS! oh p.s. the classes doesn't have packs of kids in one room so that is good you learn faster :) and you get help when ever needed.

Posted April 30, 2009

My son attends Wilde Lake Middle School and he is in the IEP program. He was diagnosed with emotional disorders before moving to Wilde Lake. My son previously attended Clarksville Middle which is a great school. However, after enrolling my son in the Wilde Lake Special Needs class, he excelled. He made new friends and has come out of his shell. He even joined an after-school program for the yearbook. The parents are wonderful and the school is very supportive. This has proven to be a wise move for my family and my son loves the school.

Posted February 14, 2009

This is the worst school I have ever been to.

Posted November 6, 2008

For a child that's just starting out in a middle school, and wants to get a great experience....I would highly recommend Wilde Lake Middle School! The curriculum is challenging and the opportunities are out of this world amazing!

Posted July 11, 2008

This school simply has a bad reputation. In reality it's a great school and surrounded ith wonderful people. A a student, I was involved in some wonderful extra curricular activities in which I found great interest in and I am sure will help me later on in life. The only con I have for this school is the principal. He is not as involed in the school community as he possibly could be. He needs to apply himself more. Otherwise, this is an excellent school any student should consider.

Posted June 29, 2008

i go here and i love it. its so fun and the teachers are so nice. who cares about test scores..

Math

The state average for Math was 77% in 2013.

189 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 84% in 2013.

189 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 73% in 2013.

187 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 85% in 2013.

187 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 67% in 2013.

165 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 81% in 2013.

165 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 71% in 2013.

162 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 7% 6%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 35%N/A42%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

10481 Cross Fox Ln